Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New house, new 14-50

Should I install my own NEMA 14-50?

• Yes, it's easy and you only live once

Votes: 39 56.5%
  • No, get a pro and be safe

Votes: 30 43.5%
  • What's a 14-50?

Votes: 0 0.0%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Interesting. I hadn’t considered a 6-50, just because I’ve been using a 14-50 up to now. I’d have to buy the 6-50 adapter ($35, I think), but that could be balanced by less wire expense and an easier run, as you said.

I also like your idea of wiring for a possible future upgrade to an HPWC. What gauge wire for a 60A breaker?

You need to check how much power your house has coming in, and what appliances you use (ex. A/C on a large house, electric water heater, electric heat, etc). If you have a small amount of power coming in, or a lot of heavy appliances, then you may need to use less power.

There are diminishing returns on "more power" to the Tesla, and the wall connector can work with any level 15-60A.

I use 30A, and it is more than enough to fill the battery in a nights sleep. 15A is also sufficient.

So I'm contemplating doing it myself....

Tons of discussions on this forum and others about the pros and cons of NEMA 14-50, NEMA 6-50, Tesla (or other) Wall Connectors, and other charge-connection options. Use the "Search" option. It is great. A few notes/comments:
  • A NEMA 6-50 receptacle seems like a good option (that I failed to consider), based on what I've read. Same power rating (as 14-50), skips the unnecessary neutral wire, the Tesla adapter plugs tend to be more readily available, and possible applicability for other garage appliances (a welder or power tool, perhaps?).
  • I think that the only loss of (Tesla) connectivity options with a 6-50 setup is that there is no equivalent one-piece Gen 1 Corded Mobile Connector (40-amp continuous charging) with a 6-50 house-end plug. Instead, you would have to use your Gen 2 Mobile Connector with a new optional removable 6-50 adapter ($35), as you have already surmised. Or you could splurge on a new or used Gen 1 Universal Mobile Connector (I see them on CL all the time) and purchase the optional twist-on 6-50 adapter ($45) from Tesla.
Tesla Gen 2 Mobile Connector.jpg Tesla NEMA 6-50 Gen 2 Adapter.jpg
Tesla Gen 1 Mobile Connector.jpg NEMA 6-50 Gen 1 Adapter.jpg
  • Whichever way you go, it is apparently a good idea to leave a dedicated connector cable plugged in to the 14-50 or 6-50 receptacle (thereby increasing receptacle life expectancy). But this requires purchasing another connector from Tesla (from $275+$35 up to $520) or elsewhere (good prices online, if you are patient).
  • Another option is, as discussed above, a Tesla (or other) Wall Connector (probably either an 8' or 24' Gen 2 or 18' Gen 3).
  • For the 14-50 or 6-50 options, think at least #6 gauge wire. Based on what I've read (possible excessive wire heating at continuous 40-amp charging?), perhaps #4 would be even better. Think #3 or #2 wire if you contemplate ever wanting to install a (still readily available on Craig's List) Gen 2 Wall Charger (w/100-amp breaker) for dual car charging or otherwise future-proofing. The latest Gen 3 WCs recommend a 60-amp circuit (correct?), so whatever is good for that (#4?). Other than expense and installation effort (which are are important considerations), there seems little downside to heavier wire.
  • Breaker? I believe 100-amps for Gen 2 WC; 60-amps for Gen 3 WC; and 50-amps for NEMA 6-50 or 14-50 receptacle, correct?
  • Is a GFI breaker required for a garage installation by your new local code? Probably for sure if it is an outdoor installation. But garages get damp, also. Or there can be puddles of water. GFI breakers are expensive, but perhaps worth the peace of mind (on behalf of a loved one charging the car in the winter)?
  • If you go with a 14-50 or 6-50 receptacle, many people on the forums recommend a heavy-duty product--e.g., from Hubbell or Bryant. Be careful, because these manufacturers (the same company now, I believe), also make less expensive models. You want an expensive one. Avoid the cheap (~$15), readily available models found in hardware and big-box outlets. There are tales of receptacle failure (with grisly "It melted!" photos.) Some of these instances are apparently due to loose wire connections, which can apparently occur more easily (with heating-cooling over time) with the cheaper receptacles.
Hubbell 9450A Receptacle - 1.jpg
Just some things to keep in mind whether you hire an electrician or install yourself..

• Helpful
Reactions: CharleyBC
Whichever way you go, it is apparently a good idea to leave a dedicated connector cable plugged in to the 14-50 or 6-50 receptacle (thereby increasing receptacle life expectancy). But this requires purchasing another connector from Tesla (from $275+$35 up to $520) or elsewhere (good prices online, if you are patient).
It does not. You just have to leave the one you have at home plugged in unless taking a long trip. There is rarely a need to carry it every day.

We're moving to a new home in a couple weeks, leaving our nice 14-50 behind in Sacramento.
We'll need a NEMA 14-50 in the new garage.
I've already verified there's capacity in the panel, and it'll be a nice short run since the panel is in the garage.

So I'm contemplating doing it myself. I've done lots of home electrical work, doing wire runs, installing new light fixtures, outlets,
and even a whole new 120V/15A circuit once or twice.
I installed myself a 150 ft conduit using information from Build my own cabin: Voltage Drop Calculator

I have installed two NEMA 6-50's in my garage so far. I used 6-2 Romex. It is about 80ft or so from my panel. Lots of work and glad to not have to run the neutral. I think the 14-50 is a waste of copper.

At what steady amperage does your Model 3 (Performance version) charge when using the 240-volt NEMA 6-50 outlet--e.g., 32-amps, 40amps, or what? Did you adjust the amp level down, at all? Any trace of objectionable warming by the #6 wires?

How about your circuit breaker? Size? GFI required?

So many questions!
I have a Gen 1 UMC so it can run at 40A and that works fine. But the wires get warm and I just don't need to charge that fast. So I have it turned down to 30A. I drive the car ~10,000 mi/yr excluding cross country trips where I Supercharge. I never want for charging.
If I were using the Gen 2 UMC It would charge at 32A unless turned down.
50A breaker no GFCI. The UMC has one in it.

So many questions!...50A breaker no GFCI. The UMC has one in it.

Yes. sorry. But we newbies really depend on real, actual, experienced users who know the score. And the Tesla charging display is a great source of accurate info, correct?

So thanks for that info.

***​

Meanwhile, I am no expert but a GFI circuit in a Tesla mobile or wall connector would help protect a user from electrocution at the car end of the cable. But if the cable were not plugged into the car, it would not protect someone from a shock at the house/wall-end, is that correct?

With a wall connector, no problem because there is normally nothing exposed that a person could accidentally touch at the house/wall end.

But when connecting or disconnecting a NEMA plug, you have the plug blades and receptacle elements that could conceivably be contacted (in wet conditions), right? So you need a protective GFI device farther in before the wall (at the breaker box), is the argument, I believe? At least that is how I understand it. Another reason to leave a mobile connector plugged in at the wall most of the time.

But charging in an enclosed garage should be way safer than outdoors. And even charging outdoors in wet conditions should normally be safe, I believe. I mostly worry about kids messing around with an unlocked outdoor receptacle, or perhaps extreme wet conditions (standing pools, driving rain, etc.).

If you can I would recommend trying getting the cable coming from above the car, so you will not trip on it when you want to access the trunk.

Cool. So that directs the mobile or wall connector cable up over the car and down, right? Then it folds back against the wall of the garage when not being used, correct? (But you have to have a dedicated cable for this, right?) There is a do-it-yourself car wash near me that has water spray hoses on an arm that swing out over the car like this. Nifty idea.

Manual Car Wash.jpg

Interesting. I hadn’t considered a 6-50, just because I’ve been using a 14-50 up to now. I’d have to buy the 6-50 adapter ($35, I think), but that could be balanced by less wire expense and an easier run, as you said.

I also like your idea of wiring for a possible future upgrade to an HPWC. What gauge wire for a 60A breaker?
If you’re running the wire in a conduit you can use 6 gauge THHN for a 60A circuit instead of 4 gauge NM-B.

• Informative
Reactions: Rocky_H
Get an electrician, don't let him/her know that its for a car. During installation, leave the tesla elsewhere. Should be little money.
Excellent advice. I voted to do it yourself. If you have tools and are a DIY type and have done some wiring yourself already it is very simple and cheap. If you have any doubt about any part of what you are doing then call an electrician and tell them you want it for an arc welder or something...

Reactions: CharleyBC
I have installed two NEMA 6-50's in my garage so far. I used 6-2 Romex. It is about 80ft or so from my panel. Lots of work and glad to not have to run the neutral. I think the 14-50 is a waste of copper.
Right on! I keep suggesting this too, especially since the 14-50 Tesla adapter no longer comes with the car and is so spotty with availability. The 6-50 is always in stock and the same price.

So here is a pic of my setup.

Looks like a clever and safe installation, I am thinking. No chance of problems at the wall end. Safely sway from any moisture. Not regularly disconnected/connected, so extends receptacle lifespan. Good job. Interesting choice of the dedicated Gen 1 Universal Mobile Connector (w/up to 40-amps continuous charging). Twist-on adapter (e.g., NEMA 6-50, 14-50, etc.) plugs ($45) are still readily available from Tesla. Smart move. (I assume Gen 2 Mobile Connector that came with the Model 3 is kept safely stored in the car for on-road/emergency use, if ever needed. Wise.)

Last edited:
Yup I have the Gen2 in the trunk. I also have a 25' extension that came with one of the Gen1 buys and I built a custom ~30' 14-50 to 6-50 from left over Romex. I carried that to Phila when I went to visit family. Phila must have the worst charging infrastructure ever. Only 2 SCs and one is buried in a parking garage and you have to pay parking to use it. With very little driveway space and a long way to the 14-50 outlet, my custom cable was perfect.

Looks like a clever and safe installation, I am thinking. No chance of problems at the wall end. Safely sway from any moisture. Not regularly disconnected/connected, so extends receptacle lifespan. Good job. Interesting choice of the dedicated Gen 1 Universal Mobile Connector (w/up to 40-amps continuous charging). Twist-on adapter (e.g., NEMA 6-50, 14-50, etc.) plugs ($45) are still readily available from Tesla. Smart move. (I assume Gen 2 Mobile Connector that came with the Model 3 is kept safely stored in the car for on-road/emergency use, if ever needed. Wise.)

I agree, nice looking setup. Just one comment: In my experience with my 2013 Model S, I haven't seen any twist-on adapters for the Gen-1 UMC (just plug-in ones). In fact, earlier versions of those adapters were recalled due to overheating issues (although I suspect many of those issues were caused by supporting the entire weight of the UMC from the dangling cable, which put weight on the adapter and caused a poor connection). Anyways, I think the install looks great. I would check the adapter periodically to make sure that it hasn't overheated or the connection hasn't suffered....

Twist-on adapter (e.g., NEMA 6-50, 14-50, etc.) plugs ($45) are still readily available from Tesla.
I haven't seen any twist-on adapters for the Gen-1 UMC (just plug-in ones).
That is a misunderstanding. There is nothing twist-on about that. That's just what the regular Gen 1 adapters look like, and yes, they just snap straight onto the end.

OK, sorry. I have not personally held a Gen1 Universal Mobile Connector in my hands (just the Gen2 Mobile Connector). But I was conversing with a (Craig's List) charging accessory seller in the SF Bay Area and I thought he told me that his NEMA 14-50 adapter twisted off the wall-end of his (Gen 1) connector. He could not pull the adapter straight off, but had to twist it (his words) to get it off. So I just assumed,...

My mistake.