Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Launch Mode - firmware 2.9.40

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I hope you are correct.

Are you concerned at all, though, about the fact that Max Battery Power must only be enabled, and not in the ready state, for Launch Mode to be activated? I admittedly know little about this stuff, but I would think that since Tesla has said that Max Battery Power is a requirement for the very top performance, that if their top performance metrics are now going to be delivered as a result of Launch Mode, then it would stand to reason that Max Battery Power would have to have reached the "ready" state, and not just be enabled. This makes me a bit dubious about any additional performance enhancements being tied to Launch Mode. That's not to say they aren't coming some other way, of course.

Just my thoughts.
The problem with doing that is that some one might want to use launch mode without having to wait. I think this concern was brought up. It may very well be the best performance is still with it in "ready" state.

The problem with doing that is that some one might want to use launch mode without having to wait. I think this concern was brought up. It may very well be the best performance is still with it in "ready" state.

So if I am understanding you correctly, and also correctly interpreting P85DEE, basically he is hoping for additional improvements that may have been released at the same time as Launch Mode, but that were not actually in any way tied to Launch Mode. So Launch Mode itself may be responsible for an improvement of .1 or .15 seconds, and then the additional improvements, which he is hoping may have been delivered at the same time, could be responsible for additional improvement, and may, in fact, rely on Max Power being "ready."

Is that about right?

So if I am understanding you correctly, and also correctly interpreting P85DEE, basically he is hoping for additional improvements that may have been released at the same time as Launch Mode, but that were not actually in any way tied to Launch Mode. So Launch Mode itself may be responsible for an improvement of .1 or .15 seconds, and then the additional improvements, which he is hoping may have been delivered at the same time, could be responsible for additional improvement, and may, in fact, rely on Max Power being "ready."

Is that about right?
Right. That's what I am getting at.

Is that about right?

I don't want to speak for him, but I think that's right. Even more optimism would be if higher slip angles were allowed by the TC/stability control, when "Max" was enabled. If it does it in a straight line, allowing greater wheel vs. car speed, it could also begin to make the car take a better point, off apex. I admit I'm being wishful, here, and that the steering wheel's input to TC and/or Power also must be defeated.

Is that about right?

Right. That's what I am getting at.

I don't want to speak for him, but I think that's right. Even more optimism would be if higher slip angles were allowed by the TC/stability control, when "Max" was enabled. If it does it in a straight line, allowing greater wheel vs. car speed, it could also begin to make the car take a better point, off apex. I admit I'm being wishful, here, and that the steering wheel's input to TC and/or Power also must be defeated.

Exactly.

I'm hoping that this new launch mode (and max battery) is just one piece, or a couple of pieces of the puzzle, or just two ingredients of the secret sauce.

Also this "squat" that people are talking about.

Is this seen in all cars irrespective of the air ride, or is it only seen in the air ride cars?

What I'm getting at, is this: "In addition to the systems and subsystems which you speak of in your above post 3mp_kwh, does launch mode affect other systems, such as the suspension too, when it is activated?" Suspension changes can have a slight effect on straight line performance. There are some into drag racing who will remove the front sway bar from Camaros and Vettes in an attempt to improve weight transfer and improve traction.

I'm wondering if launch mode is more than just one item, but rather a small package of items which would result in improved performance, namely getting Ludicrous over the 11.0 second hump.

It may not turn out that it is not only "one" feature which results in that just under 0.4 tenths second improvement that is thus far needed to break the 11.38 that we have seen thus far, but rather a few features working in concert which do it.

Last edited:
Those things get into the 3's with minor upgrades and a race launch. A couple grand more in parts and even faster. I would not feel so superior.

As someone who tuned for the WRX/Evo/Mazdaspeed platforms, I am keenly aware of the potential and limitations at play here (especially given that my ICE car is a 500AWHP Mazda). I did not make that comment without knowing from where I'm speaking.

Two more data points.
I took my car by the Service Center today as they had not seen launch control. My car chirped hunting for grip past 60 mph on concrete.
Second, I did some launch demos on tarmac and left 63 foot long dual rubber marks. These were not the real dark ICE type tires on fire marks but a very light dusting of rubber.
Launch mode most certainly modifies allowable slip angles in the traction control because my car did neither of these things before the advent of launch control.

And I thought it was just because I was doing the video on wet roads on Sottozeros ;-)

- - - Updated - - -

Testing Tesla p85d launch mode introduced in FW 2.9.12 - YouTube

Looks like about 40 kW is supplied to the motors against the brakes -- very significant.

(Not my video, by the way).

Heh, no.. It's mine ;-) from here for more details: Firmware 7.0 - Page 175

It was p85d running low SoC - sorry, long trip back - on straight 21" sottozero 3s