Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance vs. Used Model S P85D+

• M3 P

Votes: 86 72.3%
  • MS P85D+

Votes: 33 27.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Get the P3D if you like the idea of the vehicle being more autonomous.

Get the P85D if you like to drive.

See, now I think the opposite is true. The Model 3 handles like the best sports sedans currently on the market and has the battery tech (and battery/drivetrain) cooling and stability control to make the most of the handling.

The P85D is fast in a straight line (though not faster than the M3P), roomier, and drives like the heavy cruiser it is.

I grappled with the same decision and chose the better driving, more up-to-date car - the M3P.

I have and drive both regularly. Asking me to choose one is like asking me to choose which child is my favorite. :confused:

If I’m just running a quick errand in town by myself, I would take the P3D. It’s fun zipping around in the smaller and lighter car. Easier to park.

For longer trips or hauling more people or things, I would take the P85D. P85D sits 5 people much more comfortably. Also AP1 is still smoother and more predictable than AP2. And if you can find one with Ludicrous Mode, it’s almost a half second quicker than the P3D which is quite noticeable.

I have and drive both regularly. Asking me to choose one is like asking me to choose which child is my favorite. :confused:

If I’m just running a quick errand in town by myself, I would take the P3D. It’s fun zipping around in the smaller and lighter car. Easier to park.

For longer trips or hauling more people or things, I would take the P85D. P85D sits 5 people much more comfortably. Also AP1 is still smoother and more predictable than AP2. And if you can find one with Ludicrous Mode, it’s almost a half second quicker than the P3D which is quite noticeable.
Anything in particular that makes AP1 smoother or predictable? Haven’t driven AP1 curious the difference? Or is it just a noticeable difference when you drive both?

See, now I think the opposite is true. The Model 3 handles like the best sports sedans currently on the market and has the battery tech (and battery/drivetrain) cooling and stability control to make the most of the handling.

The P85D is fast in a straight line (though not faster than the M3P), roomier, and drives like the heavy cruiser it is.

I grappled with the same decision and chose the better driving, more up-to-date car - the M3P.

Do you use your M3P on a daily basis? Do you mind not having the extra space that MS provides?

That’s very helpful. I do like that it’s easier to zip around in the P3D.

And you do raise a good point about the AP1... That’s the one that they had before they took that feature in house?

Do you use your M3P on a daily basis? Do you mind not having the extra space that MS provides?

The Model 3 is comfortable for 4 people, snug for 5. The P85 is roomier, but I don't need the extra space 98% of the time. I came from an Audi S6, and an Audi S4 before that. The Model 3 slots between the 2 Audis in interior dimensions and roominess, but will handily outrun either of them, even though both Audis were tuned and the Model 3 is stock.

We have another vehicle (an SUV) if we need extra space.

The P85D is absolutely faster than the P3D. Not sure where you heard otherwise.

IF the P85 has Ludicrous mode, AND takes the time to pre-heat the battery and arm Ludicrous mode, then yes, at that point the P85D is quicker.

On the street, 99% of the time, it's not, because there isn't time for all the prep... The Model 3 doesn't need any prep to achieve its maximum performance other than an 90% SOC.

Anything in particular that makes AP1 smoother or predictable? Haven’t driven AP1 curious the difference? Or is it just a noticeable difference when you drive both?
depends what you mean by more predictable. It seems to stay in lanes near on off ramps or other places where the lines completly go away on one side of the car or the other better, but it drops out of AP and / or swerves over lines easier than AP 2.5 when markings are not clear. AP1 seems more ballsy when changing lanes but that might be because AP 2.5 is detecting more things in the lanes next to it.

AP1 was unusable with the gray reflective paint on my way to work. Much too risky, on the way home at night it worked fine though. AP2 is still a bit sketchy on the way to work, but over all I like it better. When I had the loaner AP1 also did not have drive on Nav, (although right now it's nit that useful anyways).

Both cars are great, but the model 3 is new, latest battery tech, and you get a tax incentive which made it much easier to choose for me.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: Sappy02
The two cars are pretty close and given OP sounds new to Tesla and we should be careful not to talk in absolutes. Guys are recording 0-60 in 3.2s for the P3, which is virtually the same as the P85D. Ludicrous will of course be faster but we are in super car territory as is.

Insane P85D is 3.1
Ludicrous P85D is 2.8

How is the P3D faster? Close? Maybe.
P85D acceleration higher in the range will also best a P3D

So I will stand by the statement a P85D is absolutely faster.

The Model 3 is comfortable for 4 people, snug for 5. The P85 is roomier, but I don't need the extra space 98% of the time. I came from an Audi S6, and an Audi S4 before that. The Model 3 slots between the 2 Audis in interior dimensions and roominess, but will handily outrun either of them, even though both Audis were tuned and the Model 3 is stock.

We have another vehicle (an SUV) if we need extra space.

Thanks for the context. I am fine with a model 3 if I’m the one driving it. I am relatively tall so I like to have room inside. I think it would be an adjustment going from a model x to a model 3 vs. a model s.

IF the P85 has Ludicrous mode, AND takes the time to pre-heat the battery and arm Ludicrous mode, then yes, at that point the P85D is quicker.

On the street, 99% of the time, it's not, because there isn't time for all the prep... The Model 3 doesn't need any prep to achieve its maximum performance other than an 90% SOC.

There is a requirement to pre-heat the battery before launching Ludicrous mode?
Sorry, what does the 90% SOC level have to do with achieving maximum performance?