Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3 Performance vs. Used Model S P85D+

• M3 P

Votes: 86 72.3%
  • MS P85D+

Votes: 33 27.7%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Insane P85D is 3.1
Ludicrous P85D is 2.8

How is the P3D faster? Close? Maybe.
So I will stand by the statement a P85D is absolutely faster.
On paper yes but in real life no. Ludicrous requires prep. So unless you are on the drag strip, most will not be doing the prep for day to day driving or track driving so the 2.8 spec is not something used a lot. The 3.1 however is very close to the P3D at 3.2 and since the P3D is able to do more 3.2 launches in a row than the S, since the S overheats faster, it will outperform the S on the track and in the streets. I know because I have taken both on many spirited driving sessions on curvy mountain roads and the P3D is much quicker and more fun to drive.

The conclusion is, if you like driving spiritedly or like to track the car, the P3 is hands down the winner. The P85D will be better on the drag strip but how many of us do that? And is that even that much fun?

On paper yes but in real life no. Ludicrous requires prep. So unless you are on the drag strip, most will not be doing the prep for day to day driving or track driving so the 2.8 spec is not something used a lot. The 3.1 however is very close to the P3D at 3.2 and since the P3D is able to do more 3.2 launches in a row than the S, since the S overheats faster, it will outperform the S on the track and in the streets. I know because I have taken both on many spirited driving sessions on curvy mountain roads and the P3D is much quicker and more fun to drive.

The conclusion is, if you like driving spiritedly or like to track the car, the P3 is hands down the winner. The P85D will be better on the drag strip but how many of us do that? And is that even that much fun?

On paper and in real life the answer is “yes”. You can twist it anyway you like but that doesn’t change the facts.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Perry and P85_DA
@Sappy02 The truth.

If you want 310 miles in fair New York late Spring thru early Fall weather then it’s the long range 3, end of story at 100% charge. 90% real world will be 260 - 285 miles on good days/weeks.
If you want really strong butterfly feeling acceleration and about 230ish miles range in same weather than a P3D will work well.
If you want to feel like your being shot out of a cannon whenever you stomp on the accelerator then get whatever P version of the S you can afford. But you aren’t getting 3 type range unless you are getting a fairly new 90, or a 100. A good P85 will realistically get 185 to 210 miles in fair weather, with a little stomping. Lots of fun will lessen that range.

Your mileage may vary, but it’s close. Not rated miles, but actual. Winter will be 30-50% less.

You can google roll out.
Thank you for that bit of detail. I ended up going with the P3D for that extra range. Will see how that goes.

Not on the track. Track speed is not just takeoff speed. It is maintaining corner speed and maintaining full power output. The S overheats too soon thus it becomes slower than a P3 after just one lap and corners so poorly because you can't maintain corner speed. Acceleration is slower on the 3 but only slightly so and only on first lap. So if we go on feel alone, the P3D feels like a more agile car and a lot more fun to drive.
Nice! Sounds like I’ve made the right decision going with the P3D. Time will tell as far as enjoyment factor.

I'm in the same quandary, although my decision is pretty well made. I have a large dog (and likely will until I can't), and the S is my only option. If that weren't the case, I'd likely go for the 3 because of updated tech, more nimble etc. But I'm am nonetheless really looking forward to the P85D. The fact that it is a larger - more comfortable rocket balances the somewhat more dated (but groundbreaking) tech and smaller car nimbleness. Getting a 4-year / 50k warranty also helps ease the fears of costly repairs. I'm solidly in the camp that the massively lower number of moving parts (for either car, as compared to an ICE) will lend itself to longevity (fingers crossed).
Sounds like the S is a better fit for your situation. I like comfort but what ultimately what drove me to the p3d was the new battery warranty. The p85d was actually 67,000 so I would only get 2 year warranty.

Sounds like the S is a better fit for your situation. I like comfort but what ultimately what drove me to the p3d was the new battery warranty. The p85d was actually 67,000 so I would only get 2 year warranty.
Congrats. Can’t go wrong either way, bu you will love the P3D.
Congrars. I picked up mine this morning and it is an amazing car. You made the right choice.
Agreed. 3-months later I still love driving it and find a reason to run an errand. Hated driving before. My wife is like, “who are you”? :)

I have M3P+ and have driven the P85+, but not the D. The P85+, while bigger, heavier hits harder all the time. I miss that in the 3, I still like the 3, but am always tempted by P85+ and the D model.

The 3 is refined and quick, while the P85 is brutally quick. I just want a bit more of a brute out of my 3.

I'm confused. Everywhere I've looked online says the P85+ (non-dual-motor) does 0-60 in about 4 seconds. Which is slower than the M3P.

Edit: Reading further through the comments, I see that some are referring to the initial jolt at the beginning of a launch.

Last edited:
The model 3 actually has a lot of rear trunk space. Before ruling it out as not having enough space I suggest looking at it first as you will be surprised. I know all the people I show my car to always comment on how large the rear trunk is. It is the largest trunk I have ever had on a car and I have mostly owned large luxury sedans. Although I do wish it had auto open/close like the S.

Agreed. And then you open the panel to access the under-trunk storage and they are even more impressed.

Reactions: Perry
Thank you all for the input on this. It’s been very helpful.

Are you hoping to get car tomorrow or at this point of game no way for $7500 credit?

Newer car with newer tech is a way to go.

I drove both P85D with upgraded guts in ludicrous mode and model 3 performance. Not back to back. P85D snaps your head back from 0-10 or whatever speed. But later both seem about the same. My AWD model 3 is slower but good enough.

Reactions: Russell and P85_DA
Comparing the two cars is like comparing apples and oranges. I have both a P85 and a 3 performance and I drive both all of the time. The 3 is lighter on its feet, handles much better, and I much prefer its interior (the S is kind of bulky and old-school Tesla:)). On a straight line the S will be faster but as soon as you throw in a curvy road the 3 will beat it hands down. So it all depends on what you prefer.

Are you talking 0-60, quarter mile, 30-100, a lap on a track?

Make up your mind. The P3D is maybe “faster” in one of those scenarios. The one no one was talking about until you brought it up.

A "lap on track" involves a balance of pretty much all aspects of performance. As an all-around performer, the Performance Model 3 is currently the best car Tesla sells. If you want to focus on just one aspect (acceleration alone), then the P100D S is best.

Reactions: Sappy02 and Perry
A "lap on track" involves a balance of pretty much all aspects of performance. As an all-around performer, the Performance Model 3 is currently the best car Tesla sells. If you want to focus on just one aspect (acceleration alone), then the P100D S is best.

I would also say it outshines the M3 in the fit and finish department too. It’s not just one aspect that justifies the higher price tag on the S.

I have a 2015 P90DL - AP1, SAS and all the options. I looked really closely at the M3P, I think it's a brilliant car, nice and nimble with latest tech. Ultimately, I settled on keeping mine (extended warranty by 3 years with unlimited K's - not via Tesla).

The pros and cons are all mentioned above, however the tipping points for me were 3 issues - 1. performance, just too hard to go backwards, and 2. trunk space and 3. the biggest influence by far, was free supercharging.

The days of free supercharging and free electricity at destination charged and other third party providers I think will continuously diminish in the future as more car markers enter market.

In 5 years time, I think it will be increasingly valuable to have free supercharging, both on resale and real world cheaper operating costs compared to similar newer vehicles - even though they'll have more advanced tech. Free travel, will become extinct. So, I've decided to keep my car for the long haul. I may be completely wrong, but that's my 2 cents worth.

• Love
  • Disagree
Reactions: Perry and P85_DA
Good questions. Here's a poor answer: I supercharge twice a week when staying at home city, enough for day-to-day running around. I exclusively use SC when travelling. I went straight from an ICE (Lexus SUV) to Tesla. I was paying about $75/week in fuel - I haven;t done that in over two years - so there some saving, less the cost of the MS.

Unfortunately, I don't have an energy comparison of what it 'would' have cost over this period calculated upon electricity prices. I noted on one the M3 discussions a few had done calculations that indicated (from memory) that the offer of free supercharging for $5,000 would take about 50K miles to recoup (re; PUP refund).

Regardless though my position is that if I keep the MS transport is free, if not there will be an on-going cost, but with better technology.

Reactions: NeverFollow