Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New M3SR vs LR

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I bought an LR rather than SR for the following reasons. No regrets so far. This was a little over 2yrs ago:

1. I wanted max range for regional driving. Definitely a benefit as I found doing Sydney-Barossa and return (via Canberra).
2. I am keeping my LR for many years. I still want good range when the battery has lost range, which it will do over time.
3. I prefer the AWD handling on dirt roads. Very sure footed.
4. I'm guessing that it is still the case that LR has more regen- nice. Also faster battery preconditioning using 2 motor stators.
4. When we got ours, we also got a much better sound system, some extra lights as well as the acceleration and other stuff.
5. Acceleration is awesome- particularly useful overtaking huge road trains. Much less nerve racking. Around town, not needed.

Reactions: father_of_6
More expensive
Let's do the maths

M3LR is 16% more expensive than M3SR on RRP basis
M3LR has 22% more WLTP range than M3SP
M3LR has 20% more warranted km than M3SR

And M3LR has a second motor.

(For current highland orders)

I can't see that a LR battery is necessarily more expensive...IMO the customer is getting more bang for buck

Last edited:
That's interesting.
Could you please reconcile that with Tesla's battery warranty for the LR - it has 32,000 km more warranted km over the same period of time compared to the RWD battery warranty

Let's do the maths

MYLR is 20% more expensive than MYRWD on RRP basis.
MYLR has 17% more quoted WLTP range than MYRWD
MYLR has 20% more warranted km than MYRWD
But MYLR has an additional motor

Maybe slightly more expensive but not a great deal
This thread is about 3, not Y.

Cheaper products deserve cheap rate warranty.
Luxury, pricy products deserve first class warranty.

Really?. You really think that a $10,000 difference makes the M3LR into a luxury pricy product?.
Tesla are not a luxury car in the usual sense.

No, the bottom line is that despite what people keep saying that LFP batteries have greater longevity, Tesla gives 20% more warranted km for the LR non LFP battery.

This thread is about 3, not Y.
Correct - M3LR vs RWD comparisons calculations noted above

And note the higher warranted km for M3LR compared with RWD

I'm not saying for one moment that the Lr is better value for money. There is a car for everyone at different price points but I am not sure that we can say that the LFP batteries are necessarily cheaper when packaged into a Tesla and longer lasting on a warranted km basis

IMG_1785.jpeg

From the warranty POV of view the cycles matter nought - what is counted are the km.
Agree but it's use of the battery that determines degradation, and that correlates best to cycles.

I suspect if Tesla ever introduces V2G the warranty will change from km to kWh to better reflect usage, but the LR/P should still have a higher kWh warranty as they are a bigger battery.

Really?. You really think that a $10,000 difference makes the M3LR into a luxury pricy product?.
Tesla are not a luxury car in the usual sense.

No, the bottom line is that despite what people keep saying that LFP batteries have greater longevity, Tesla gives 20% more warranted km for the LR non LFP battery.

The warranty is no good if owners want to use the battery longer than the warranty coverage.

The traditional Lithium life cycle rating is about 800, while LFP is about 3,000:

I've a SR+, and it does take more effort in planning trips than with a petrol car. Having driven Mel<-->Adel a few times with it, the nominal 350km real-world range is often not achievable - because there's not a charger at 350kms, and you therefore have to stop earlier anyway.

But there are more and more fast chargers being deployed, which should make the SR easier to travel with (though some sites are *sugar*, like the Vic Gov's single-plug Charging the Regions (or whatever) ones. Idiots. Was blocked for half an hour by a Tesla sitting at 99% last time I tried to use the Castlemaine DCFC).

Mine's not LFP chemistry (NCA or NMC, dunno). It's more than fast enough. We couldn't imagine spending 95k on a car so didn't consider the LR.

Reactions: johnchidgey
Not an owner (yet) but I've driven both. My immediate impressions: The SR is a nice car, but the LR is an amazing car. Having been spoilt by an AWD Model S, I would not hesitate to go for the LR - for the range, AWD and it goes like stink. Absolutely worth every penny of the price difference.

Reactions: father_of_6
The warranty is no good if owners want to use the battery longer than the warranty coverage.

The traditional Lithium life cycle rating is about 800, while LFP is about 3,000:

Thread is interesting reading

My googling comes up with 1500-2000 cycles for the LR battery, where is 800 coming from?