Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NEW Model 3 Highland review!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Rumored new Performance wheels, look lighter than the Urbines.

1697732339255.png

Nobody found the Motor trend "reviews" kinda' trite - lacking substance?

It sounds like 'Highland' will be quieter and handle better and I'm all for that. In fact I'd like most to get info on US availability as I'm ready to exchange my grey 2022 M3LR for a Highland performance in black right now; I mean tomorrow isn't too soon. I completely love my current car; I only hope for a similar vehicle refined to my own oh-so undeniable level...:).

Reactions: ph0ton
I am sure that the ride has improved, and yes the reviews state "quieter/smoother ride", when tested on a smooth roads / restricted test routes, along with other unknown variables (tire psi)...

The roads I regularly commute on don't look anything like the ones in the test videos.

Gonna have to wait until they are available for an actual test drive.

I like the new styling and improvements of the new "Highland" but essentially they are saying that the drivetrain (i.e., the electrical motors) and the battery technology stayed the same with the current Model 3. In addition to that, I usually avoid first and second year iterations of any new car model so I will wait this out maybe until 2026 when things will settle down a bit and any potential issues have been resolved.

I like the new styling and improvements of the new "Highland" but essentially they are saying that the drivetrain (i.e., the electrical motors) and the battery technology stayed the same with the current Model 3. In addition to that, I usually avoid first and second year iterations of any new car model so I will wait this out maybe until 2026 when things will settle down a bit and any potential issues have been resolved.
Hi T4M3,

I found your statement a bit weird to wrap my head around. Since the 'Highland' is more a styling/ interior facelift than anything esle... I don't find that your point is valid of it being the first iteration of a new product. Hence the fear of it being faulty/ not loyal.

I completely understand your view on this, if it would be a completely new car model. Since the M3 is along us since 2017? I'm very confident this Highland facelift will be of same quality as the outgoing 2022/2023 Model 3.

I'm a huge BMW fan as well, but I never had the 'courage' to buy a completely new version of for example an M-model if it weren't a facelift model.

My 2 cents :) Can you elaborate your point of view?

Thanks!

Hi T4M3,

I found your statement a bit weird to wrap my head around. Since the 'Highland' is more a styling/ interior facelift than anything esle... I don't find that your point is valid of it being the first iteration of a new product. Hence the fear of it being faulty/ not loyal.

I completely understand your view on this, if it would be a completely new car model. Since the M3 is along us since 2017? I'm very confident this Highland facelift will be of same quality as the outgoing 2022/2023 Model 3.

I'm a huge BMW fan as well, but I never had the 'courage' to buy a completely new version of for example an M-model if it weren't a facelift model.

My 2 cents :) Can you elaborate your point of view?

Thanks!
It's on the same platform but there is an all new interior, and mechanical changes. All those new pieces, though relatively minor, are Tesla's weak spot. So the concern of first year fit and finish as well as quality of the new components is a valid and very legitimate point.
History is a good predictor of future reliability and just as with legacy brands, changes have teething pains. Tesla does not build to the standard of Toyota or Audi. Every change Tesla made has the potential to be a new creak, rattle, durability and reliability issue.

Having said that, it is not a ground up redesign so potential problems would be minor. But tell any owner here that a rattling dash or trim falling off is not a big deal...

Reactions: ks1972
If you've ever taken apart any area of a Model 3 you might notice that over time Tesla actually reduces some parts to save money. An example is the inside trim panel for the trunk lid. The later cars actually have fewer retaining clips than the older cars as they figured they could save a couple of cents while the trim panel isn't too compromised. A few cents times a million makes a difference on the bottom line. In this respect, the older cars are better....at least for that particular item. Just a point that while overall the Model 3 is undoubtedly better over time, not every aspect improves over time with newer variants.

As far as buying a highland 3 right away or waiting, there is no right or wrong here, Definitely pros and cons with either choice. I wouldn't hesitate buying a 1st year Model 3 highland but also respect and understand why someone might wait. Afterall, I did buy my 3 on the original reservation list and have no regrets. Do I wish my car had HW3 instead of 2.5? Sure. Am I happy that I was able to order Starlight Silver which was discontinued shortly, get Homelink included, and also benefit from lifetime premium connectivity because I bought early? Most definitely.

The new M3 is a nice car. But I would not replace my 22 just to gain some of the new features. Also, there are some features, which I like, that would not be included on the newer version. My car isn't even two years old yet and so far, no problems. I would buy a Highland if I decided to buy a new car to replace my old Ford with 240,000 miles on the odometer. But, that car shows no sign of dying any time soon.

It's on the same platform but there is an all new interior, and mechanical changes. All those new pieces, though relatively minor, are Tesla's weak spot. So the concern of first year fit and finish as well as quality of the new components is a valid and very legitimate point.
History is a good predictor of future reliability and just as with legacy brands, changes have teething pains. Tesla does not build to the standard of Toyota or Audi. Every change Tesla made has the potential to be a new creak, rattle, durability and reliability issue.

Having said that, it is not a ground up redesign so potential problems would be minor. But tell any owner here that a rattling dash or trim falling off is not a big deal...

Good thing that the Chinese Giga factory keeps higher standards than the US ones.
It is impossible for 1. gen M3 Highland (China) to be any worse (even with no stalks) than my 2. gen M3 (US).

Pretty much everything is improved, but completely ruined by the lack of stalks, what ever, I'm a Y driver, Hopefully Tesla will come to their senses by the time the Y refresh comes, otherwise I'll have to consider another brand.
Elon hasn't learned after the post yoke demand drop for S/X. Hopefully Tesla will not become his next Twitter.

Full disclosure, I'm an S driver (ok, ex-driver, bought 4 of them, left after the yoke). I would still recommend 3/Y as the most practical/utilitarian/best-value EV, not so after the yoke (yea, I know it's rounded now, still the same thing).

Reactions: Zoltrix77