Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model 3, Hw2.5 Vs Hw3.0

Which HW version do you have?

• Older than 2.5

Votes: 4 5.6%
  • HW 2.5

Votes: 48 66.7%
  • HW 3.0

Votes: 20 27.8%

• Total voters
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I just took delivery of my new 2019 SR+ Model 3 with FSD option. VIN indicates it was manufactured in May 2019.

After watching Daerik's video regarding checking whether your computer is the 2.5 or 3.0. I decided to check the one in my vehicle.

It turns out my videos are encoded in H.264, indicating HW2.5 not HW3.0.

I find it strange that new Model 3s, especially ones with FSD are shipping with HW2.5.

Are these vehicles eligible to upgrade to HW3.0 for free in the future? Since I did pay for the FSD option.

I've sent an email to the Tesla service center to confirm and I'll update when I hear back from them.

Any new model 3 owners in the same boat? Where you bought FSD but was shafted with HW2.5?

As far as I have researched, all FSD cars will get the HW 3 upgrade eventually. But I would be disappointed to find that a new sr+ didn't have 3.0 already because the lineup of people getting the upgrade is probably pretty long.

For now, it doesn't affect you much since no hw3 specific features are enabled yet other than the video encoding. At least from what I have read. And h265 is just slightly better quality/compression as it's a newer version.

• Informative
Reactions: 5_+JqckQttqck
Now that’s interesting Whenever we saw a new car delivered with 2.5 it was because they didn’t order FSD. Assuming you did, they are probably just getting rid of the 2.5 stock because they talked about how 3 is cheaper to manufacture than 2.5

Are we certain the tests can differentiate between 2.5 and 3.0? I thought they were written to differentiate between 2.5 and older versions.

As said above, if you got FSD then you get the hardware upgrade for free. Talking with a Ranger yesterday he has indicated that those sorts of refits COULD start as early as this fall. I’m more inclined to look towards the end of the year for it myself.

I always assume that I got the HW3 because my OA said so. And the firmware version is 2019.16.3.2 a19d0e4. But I just checked, and confirmed, the video file that yield out was AVC, aka H.264. I'm getting the HW2.5! I remember someone pointed out here before, that the 2019.16.3.xxx is HW3 exclusive. So now, who is telling the truth?

Here is the response from the service center employee who delivered my vehicle. It appears he was aware of this and confirms that I will be getting an upgrade probably sometime next year.

Thank you for the email.

Yes, your computer will be upgraded because you purchased the Fully Self Driving.

I did the same as you, my car also has the older chip.

From Elon tweet, we will get the FSD chip once it becomes advantageous to have it.

I am thinking in a year's time or so...

I actually like that we got the 2.5 chip, then we will get the new chip after it has been in production for a while.

Pretty sure that Mobile can reach out and install when available.

Yes, this is normal. I did see for about a two week period of cars coming in with HW3, however all cars I have seen in the past two to 3 weeks have 2.5 in them again.

Thanks, have a wonderful day!

Here is my speculation. Tesla still has an inventory of 2.5 computers and needs to get rid of it. Currently, there are tariffs leveraged for each 3.0 computer imported from china. As a result, they are delivering cars with 2.5 to clear inventory as well as avoid tariffs, and hopefully, by next year when these cars need to be upgraded, the tariffs would be gone, and they can import more 3.0 computers at a cheaper price.

This is just my 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt.

• Funny
Reactions: HWEL
Here is the response from the service center employee who delivered my vehicle. It appears he was aware of this and confirms that I will be getting an upgrade probably sometime next year.

Here is my speculation. Tesla still has an inventory of 2.5 computers and needs to get rid of it. Currently, there are tariffs leveraged for each 3.0 computer imported from china. As a result, they are delivering cars with 2.5 to clear inventory as well as avoid tariffs, and hopefully, by next year when these cars need to be upgraded, the tariffs would be gone, and they can import more 3.0 computers at a cheaper price.

This is just my 2 cents. Take it with a grain of salt.

Also - if they build the car with v2.5 and then have to install v3 in Canada - they don't pay tariff to ship the updated unit direct to Canada, I assume. Also, they can add the replaced computer to local inventory for future repairs on non-FSD vehicles. (Or could they return it to the USA for the same purpose without tariffs?)

I bought FSD and I'm hoping even for Autopilot non-FSD (which I would use mostly) it will help with better identifying traffic, stop signs and traffic lights, etc. in urban areas.

I just took delivery of my new 2019 SR+ Model 3 with FSD option. VIN indicates it was manufactured in May 2019.

After watching Daerik's video regarding checking whether your computer is the 2.5 or 3.0. I decided to check the one in my vehicle.

It turns out my videos are encoded in H.264, indicating HW2.5 not HW3.0.

I find it strange that new Model 3s, especially ones with FSD are shipping with HW2.5.

Are these vehicles eligible to upgrade to HW3.0 for free in the future? Since I did pay for the FSD option.

I've sent an email to the Tesla service center to confirm and I'll update when I hear back from them.

Any new model 3 owners in the same boat? Where you bought FSD but was shafted with HW2.5?

Yes I was. Late May build, June delivery HW2.5. Even though it has been noted that current autopilot features run smother, and new improved video compression is used on the new 10x faster hardware, being told no upgrades this year. I also got a bonus scratch and a dent. The dent was repaired by a paintless repair mobile truck that came to the Tesla shop. The scratch though very small requires the painting of the whole door. Was at the authorized body shop today. They have aTesla there that has been waiting for parts for 6 months, and another one 4 months.

You can go into mytesla -> manage car and you should see a "view spec" link - the link doesn't seem to do anything other than render a black page but if you copy the link and drop it into an option code look up tool like the one on tesla-info (go to extras->get car info) then it will decode it for you and tel you if you've HW2.5 or HW3 - its a lot easier than messing around with videos.

I've heard it only works on the first car on an mytesla account which might be a problem for some.

You can go into mytesla -> manage car and you should see a "view spec" link - the link doesn't seem to do anything other than render a black page but if you copy the link and drop it into an option code look up tool like the one on tesla-info (go to extras->get car info) then it will decode it for you and tel you if you've HW2.5 or HW3 - its a lot easier than messing around with videos.

I've heard it only works on the first car on an mytesla account which might be a problem for some.

Doesn't give any info an HW2.5 vs HW3 for me, also says I have a performance and rear wheel drive, when I have an AWD. And 19" tires when I have aeros. No AP when I have FSD. Etc...

Under autopilot related codes I see:
"$APBS","$APF2","$APPB"
which are autopilot, FSD and enhanced autopilot respectively.

Doesn't give any info an HW2.5 vs HW3 for me, also says I have a performance and rear wheel drive, when I have an AWD. And 19" tires when I have aeros. No AP when I have FSD. Etc...

Under autopilot related codes I see:
"$APBS","$APF2","$APPB"
which are autopilot, FSD and enhanced autopilot respectively.

Odd, because if I put "$APBS","$APF2","$APPB" in, it returns

"$Autopilot"
"$Full Self Driving"
"$Extended Auto Pilot"

Not surprised about the hardware not showing as I think M3 and since MSX Raven the option code string is much shorter based on what ev cpo and others have said. Whats your full option string?

Odd, because if I put "$APBS","$APF2","$APPB" in, it returns

"$Autopilot"
"$Full Self Driving"
"$Extended Auto Pilot"

Not surprised about the hardware not showing as I think M3 and since MSX Raven the option code string is much shorter based on what ev cpo and others have said. Whats your full option string?

I think the option decoder was having issues with the format of the page. The option codes seem to be correct when interpreted manually. I'll try to dig up the full string again.

Best I am able to do on mobile is the following:
code":"INTERIOR","options":["$IN3PB"]},"PAINT":{"code":"PAINT","options":["$PPMR"]},"WHEELS":{"code":"WHEELS","options":["$W38B"]},"AUTOPILOT":{"code":"AUTOPILOT","options":["$APBS","$APF2","$APPB"]},"PREMIUM_PACKAGE":{"code":"PREMIUM_PACKAGE","options":["$PRM31"]}},"options":{"$DV4W":{"code":"$DV4W","name":"Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive","long_name":"Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive"},"$MDL3":{"code":"$MDL3","name":"Model 3","long_name":"Model 3"},"$PPMR":{"code":"$PPMR","name":"Red Multi-Coat","long_name":"Red Multi-Coat Paint"},"$W38B":{"code":"$W38B","name":"18\u2019\u2019 Aero Wheels","long_name":"18\u2019\u2019 Aero Wheels"},"$IN3PB":{"code":"$IN3PB","name":"Premium Black","long_name":"Premium Black"},"$MT303":{"code":"$MT303","name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive","long_name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive"},"$PRM31":{"code":"$PRM31","name":"Premium Interior","long_name":"Premium Interior"},"$APBS":{"code":"$APBS","name":"Autopilot","long_name":"Autopilot"},"$APF2":{"code":"$APF2","name":"Full Self-Driving Capability","long_name":"Full Self-Driving Capability"},"$APPB":{"code":"$APPB","name":"Enhanced Autopilot","long_name":"Enhanced Autopilot"}}},"OptionCodes":["$DV4W","$IN3PB","$PPMR","$PRM31","$W38B","$MDL3","$MT303"],"FutureAppointments":

I think the option decoder was having issues with the format of the page. The option codes seem to be correct when interpreted manually. I'll try to dig up the full string again.

Best I am able to do on mobile is the following:
code":"INTERIOR","options":["$IN3PB"]},"PAINT":{"code":"PAINT","options":["$PPMR"]},"WHEELS":{"code":"WHEELS","options":["$W38B"]},"AUTOPILOT":{"code":"AUTOPILOT","options":["$APBS","$APF2","$APPB"]},"PREMIUM_PACKAGE":{"code":"PREMIUM_PACKAGE","options":["$PRM31"]}},"options":{"$DV4W":{"code":"$DV4W","name":"Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive","long_name":"Dual Motor All-Wheel Drive"},"$MDL3":{"code":"$MDL3","name":"Model 3","long_name":"Model 3"},"$PPMR":{"code":"$PPMR","name":"Red Multi-Coat","long_name":"Red Multi-Coat Paint"},"$W38B":{"code":"$W38B","name":"18\u2019\u2019 Aero Wheels","long_name":"18\u2019\u2019 Aero Wheels"},"$IN3PB":{"code":"$IN3PB","name":"Premium Black","long_name":"Premium Black"},"$MT303":{"code":"$MT303","name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive","long_name":"Long Range All-Wheel Drive"},"$PRM31":{"code":"$PRM31","name":"Premium Interior","long_name":"Premium Interior"},"$APBS":{"code":"$APBS","name":"Autopilot","long_name":"Autopilot"},"$APF2":{"code":"$APF2","name":"Full Self-Driving Capability","long_name":"Full Self-Driving Capability"},"$APPB":{"code":"$APPB","name":"Enhanced Autopilot","long_name":"Enhanced Autopilot"}}},"OptionCodes":["$DV4W","$IN3PB","$PPMR","$PRM31","$W38B","$MDL3","$MT303"],"FutureAppointments":

Wow - that looks massively different to mine, which looks like this for my MS, we can't be looking at the same thing.

https://www.tesla.com/teslaaccount/pdf/view-design-pdf?model=ms&options=AF02%2CAU01%2CBC0R%2CBP01%2CBR00%2CBS00%2CCDM0%2CCF00%2CCH04%2CCW02%....