Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S interior - finally! (from the Q4 report)

Better interior?

• You bet! When can I get one??

• Meh, I can take it or leave it.

• Ugh! Gimme S circa 2012!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Yeah looks like air suspension to me too, just strange they don’t mention it anywhere as it’s a differentiator from 3/Y suspension

66B95B18-662F-4689-AD58-0BC129C59A75.jpeg

Why not get it with the yoke, purchase a regular steering wheel from TSportLine (when they start making custom wheels for the new MS), and put the yoke back on when your lease is over?
I've thought about that, but haven't seen any info on price or availability. In addition, the elimination of the turn signal stalk complicates replacement. I'm going to speak to an authorized body shop to get their thoughts on how practical of an approach this could be.

I've thought about that, but haven't seen any info on price or availability. In addition, the elimination of the turn signal stalk complicates replacement. I'm going to speak to an authorized body shop to get their thoughts on how practical of an approach this could be.

It hasn't been introduced yet because manufacturers can't get their hands on parts yet. I imagine they'll be up for sale as soon as Tesla opens a parts catalogue for the new S/X.

How do you know that you will need to turn the steering yoke hand over hand?
It seems like an easy thing to make it turn faster at lower speeds so you never have to actually turn it that much

Because cranking the steering ratio up high enough to eliminate hand-over-hand will make the car a twitchy, un-drivable mess.

On Another Forum some members are opining that since yoke wheels work in F1 cars, they're fine for street cars. Sometimes, you just can't facepalm hard enough. Really? Professional drivers in competition machinery on defined courses should be used as a comparison for my mother in a street car?

My 2016 Model S 90D does 2 1/4 turns lock to lock. That's actually pretty quick for a street car. My 2017 Acura NSX, at 1.8 turns lock to lock, is almost too quick. Half a turn lock to lock is simply not usable for a street car.

Look, yoke wheels have been around in aircraft for more than a century and in race cars for decades. They're not exactly a new thing. There's a reason you've never seen them on a street car outside of K.I.T.T. replicas.

Because cranking the steering ratio up high enough to eliminate hand-over-hand will make the car a twitchy, un-drivable mess.

On Another Forum some members are opining that since yoke wheels work in F1 cars, they're fine for street cars. Sometimes, you just can't facepalm hard enough. Really? Professional drivers in competition machinery on defined courses should be used as a comparison for my mother in a street car?

My 2016 Model S 90D does 2 1/4 turns lock to lock. That's actually pretty quick for a street car. My 2017 Acura NSX, at 1.8 turns lock to lock, is almost too quick. Half a turn lock to lock is simply not usable for a street car.

Look, yoke wheels have been around in aircraft for more than a century and in race cars for decades. They're not exactly a new thing. There's a reason you've never seen them on a street car outside of K.I.T.T. replicas.

So why wouldnt the car have variable steering?
Like It steers 1% less for each kmh or something why on earth do we need to spinn the wheel a hundred times to make the wheels turn slightly one way?
When driving fash have you ever had to spin the wheel 3 full rounds? Its only when parking or navigating some wierd streets that you need to ever turn it so much anyway and in those occasions you are driving so slow that even if variable steering is a little confusing to get used to you wont be in any danger. 90 degree turn is probably max

So why wouldnt the car have variable steering?
Like It steers 1% less for each kmh or something why on earth do we need to spinn the wheel a hundred times to make the wheels turn slightly one way?
When driving fash have you ever had to spin the wheel 3 full rounds? Its only when parking or navigating some wierd streets that you need to ever turn it so much anyway and in those occasions you are driving so slow that even if variable steering is a little confusing to get used to you wont be in any danger. 90 degree turn is probably max

The Model S has variable ratio power steering _now_. But I've never heard of any car with the extremes you'd need to make the yoke wheel viable, and I think such dramatic differences in turning angle vs wheel angle would be confusing to drivers.

Really, the yoke wheel, touch-sensitive turn signal buttons, and "automatic" gear direction selection are solutions in search of a problem. Steering wheel design and response has been studied for more than a century (recall the first cars used tillers). None of these features offers any compelling advantage over existing solutions, and in many or most cases will be significantly worse than round wheels and stalks.

• Love
Reactions: ManuelV and Rocky_H
The Model S has variable ratio power steering _now_. But I've never heard of any car with the extremes you'd need to make the yoke wheel viable, and I think such dramatic differences in turning angle vs wheel angle would be confusing to drivers.

Really, the yoke wheel, touch-sensitive turn signal buttons, and "automatic" gear direction selection are solutions in search of a problem. Steering wheel design and response has been studied for more than a century (recall the first cars used tillers). None of these features offers any compelling advantage over existing solutions, and in many or most cases will be significantly worse than round wheels and stalks.

Variable ratio power steering is common, however, all it does is change the effort required to turn the wheel at different speeds.

There is also variable-ratio steering that uses different ratios in the rack and pinion steering system. It has different ratios as you turn the wheel to make the steering less sensitive when the steering wheel is close to its center position and more steering input as the steering wheel is turned towards lock although would need significant change in ratio to reduce the lock-to-lock to a level where you could hold on to the steering wheel without letting go for a k-turn.

The system would need to be steer-by-wire to achieve changing the lock-to-lock depending on the speed you are travelling. There are some cars that have steer-by-wire and many people detest them as it takes away all feeling from the steering wheel (BMW is a good example). For the cars that do have steer-by-wire, I am not aware of any that have a significant change in ratio depending on speed.

But I suppose if you are ok with letting the car "guess" if you should be in Drive or Reverse, there is no downsize of needing to guess how much the car will turn when you turn the steering wheel. Once the car picks the ratio at the start of the turn, will it keep the same ratio as you accelerate out of the turn?

At one time people put gas in cars...
At one time people had round steering wheels. I will wait to pass judgement but I am looking forward to trying it out. It will be different and need a learning curve but I see it as doable.
Glad someone is waiting to try it before passing judgement. Seems too many people here are stuck in the old ways. We used to steer cars with a weird lever thing. Who knows, steering wheels could look that way in a few decades. I was apprehensive at first but let's remember how many times people called Tesla crazy pre-release then found out the changes weren't a big deal after taking delivery. I'm reminded of the Model 3 screen fiasco, which I admit I was part of the denial club. After getting my M3 I adjusted to no gauges in front of me in about a day. Ended up being a mountain over a molehill. Let's keep some perspective people. I'll wait till I drive it to judge, lest my comments end up on the wrong side of history :)

I pre-ordered to get the refreshed Long Range S and I like it. The black out and minimal exterior changes just right for me. Interior looking good. Carbon fiber would have been a nice option but at least the wood is ebony on the black interior option. The yoke is like my airplane yoke, so great. We will know more about it later. I ordered 19" wheel and was planning on aftermarket 20's, staggered for ride and to fill wheel wells up a bit more. The 19's and 21's always looked a little non-aggressive with 1.5 inches of wheel well overhang. But look at the refreshed pictures. Those are 255/45R19's, not the usual 245's on the front and the rear looks to fill the wheel well up giving it the proper aggressive look the S should have had all these years. I hope pics accurately represent the vehicle. So maybe wider rears or just the proper offset to obtain the look. If anybody gets info, please post.

When I asked Tesla about it they told me they do not know about the tire size and are just as excited as I am to find out. WTF? Aren't you the same company making this car and you do not know?

You didn't ask Tesla, you asked some guy at the very bottom of the totem pole who works in a Tesla showroom. They find things out when cars arrive - they won't have any more info that's not public.

I want the steering wheel, I think it seems awesome.
Teslas are ment for tech people really. Im a gamer and if I can play any kindof game using keyboard, xbox controller, iphone-unameit then surely I can get used to liking to drive with this yoke. im sure it will be confusing for a few days but then it will be fine, maybe even better

I love the steering yoke. Me want.

Glad someone is waiting to try it before passing judgement. Seems too many people here are stuck in the old ways. We used to steer cars with a weird lever thing. Who knows, steering wheels could look that way in a few decades. I was apprehensive at first but let's remember how many times people called Tesla crazy pre-release then found out the changes weren't a big deal after taking delivery. I'm reminded of the Model 3 screen fiasco, which I admit I was part of the denial club. After getting my M3 I adjusted to no gauges in front of me in about a day. Ended up being a mountain over a molehill. Let's keep some perspective people. I'll wait till I drive it to judge, lest my comments end up on the wrong side of history :)

Totally agree with your thoughts.

Reactions: AdamMacDon