Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S interior - finally! (from the Q4 report)

Better interior?

• You bet! When can I get one??

• Meh, I can take it or leave it.

• Ugh! Gimme S circa 2012!

Results are only viewable after voting.
This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Also, in the tri-motor plaid, are the dual motors on the front or the rear? I have never found an answer for this.
It is in the rear and shown on the Tesla website:

Long Range (Motors are small front/rear)

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 10.57.41 AM.png

Plaid (Rear motor is T shaped)

Screen Shot 2021-01-28 at 10.57.48 AM.png

I wonder if they fixed the issue of the rear bench being too close to the floor. This always made sitting in the back of a Model S uncomfortable in my opinion - at least for those of us with long legs.
What I read on Electrek is that the front seats have been moved forward a bit to enhance rear legroom, and that the rear seats have been redesigned to allow them to be more flat when folded (which doesn't sound like the cushions will be raised any).

Turn signal buttons are a deal-breaker. Was looking to get an S for my wife, but now the intro-level Taycan is looking like the ticket.

The steering wheel is a juvenile, pointless gimmick. Even assuming that the turning ratio is speed controlled (as some have opined), that will only lead to fender-benders and scraped rims whenever you don't anticipate precisely how much turn you'll get out of a given input. Why introduce any doubt at all in the simple act of steering - something that should be utterly intuitive?

But the omission of turn signal stalk in place of two invisible, perfectly smooth (and hence non-haptic) buttons is simply stupid. Why fix something that literally every human being understands and works flawlessly? To reliably hit the buttons you'll need to take your eye off the road, at least some time. Maybe you'll get used to where they are, but if you're turning the goofy steering "wheel" you won't know where they are at any given moment. You'll invariably have to look and peck for them, perhaps several times, to get it to work. (Both Ferrari and BMW tried something similar and abandoned it for that reason.)

This seems like the much-maligned windshield wiper controls being removed to the screen. (If I lived in Seattle, this would've been a deal-breaker for me too - but as I live in LA, windshield wipers are hypothetical. But that's another message board.)

As used on most other cars, wiper controls on the turning signal stalk allow user to always know where they are and to control them intuitively without taking eyes off the road or hands off the wheel. Even though I've had my Tesla for years, I still have to look down to hit the wiper button, and usually miss the exact pixel you need to hit if the car hits a bump - causing you to have to take 2 or three pecks at the screen, all the while not looking at the road. (Yes, you can get a swipe of the wipers by hitting the button on the end of the stalk, but you still have to look down and hit the exact molecule of the screen if you want to adjust them or turn them off. And now even that stalk is gone!)

Seriously, there is real advancement in automotive design, and there are gimmicks designed to impress 12 year-olds. This is the latter.

The steering wheel is a juvenile, pointless gimmick.
I went and clicked "Love" on your comment as soon as I saw this sentence, before even reading the rest of it.
I saw an article today that was spot on, when it mentioned that the new redesign includes "chrome delete" as well as "steering wheel delete".
That is utterly stupid. It rotates. People hold steering wheels at all points around the circle. You hand-over-hand along it while turning. You have it rotated in a turn and then kind of loosen your grip and let it slide back to straight before grasping again, etc. etc. When people go to grab for part of it that is missing, that's more problems and distraction and is dangerous.

My friend who works for Tesla is entirely submerged in the Kool-aid, though. He said what of course I know Tesla's position will also be: "I use autopilot so much, I don't even need the steering wheel." F you, Tesla! Trying to delete the steering wheel or make it harder to use to force people to buy the FSD package is user antagonism at its worst.

Reactions: cusetownusa
I went and clicked "Love" on your comment as soon as I saw this sentence, before even reading the rest of it.
I saw an article today that was spot on, when it mentioned that the new redesign includes "chrome delete" as well as "steering wheel delete".
That is utterly stupid. It rotates. People hold steering wheels at all points around the circle. You hand-over-hand along it while turning. You have it rotated in a turn and then kind of loosen your grip and let it slide back to straight before grasping again, etc. etc. When people go to grab for part of it that is missing, that's more problems and distraction and is dangerous.

My friend who works for Tesla is entirely submerged in the Kool-aid, though. He said what of course I know Tesla's position will also be: "I use autopilot so much, I don't even need the steering wheel." F you, Tesla! Trying to delete the steering wheel or make it harder to use to force people to buy the FSD package is user antagonism at its worst.

Agree. I’m going to buy a Mercedes EQS instead.

How do you know that you will need to turn the steering yoke hand over hand?
It seems like an easy thing to make it turn faster at lower speeds so you never have to actually turn it that much

I'm depressed. My P100D S lease expired in December, my previous S was a P85D. I extended for 6 months waiting for this refresh. I prefer the vertical screen, but could live with the horizontal. I can not live with the steering wheel. It is dangerous, in my opinion. Besides reacting to driving situations, other people drive my car i.e. wife, valet, etc. Who is making these ridiculous decisions ? If a normal steering wheel isn't introduced in the next 2-3 weeks, I will order a Taycan Turbo S. That would be a shame, since I love everything else about the car.

It seems like an easy thing to make it turn faster at lower speeds so you never have to actually turn it that much

Variable lock ratio will make the steering unnatural and unpredictable. It's a bad idea either way. Imagine driving on a corniche in the mountains with a variable lock ratio. You don't know how much the car will turn as you go round a corner. You could fall off a cliff.

Variable lock ratio will make the steering unnatural and unpredictable. It's a bad idea either way. Imagine driving on a corniche in the mountains with a variable lock ratio. You don't know how much the car will turn as you go round a corner. You could fall off a cliff.

I live in the mountains, cant really think of a single time where im driving fast and turning the wheel more than 180c or even close to that.
Remember that the yoke is only missing its top, not the bottom so you will have to make a seriously sharp turn to even get close to it being an issue, like on a parking spot and on those I can definately see the car steering being different

o_O Need to? No, want to. Of course that is possible, but that kind of massively boosted steering you're talking about where it makes really large turns of the car with very small movements of a steering yoke is really twitchy and bothersome to a lot of people, and I would be really irritated with a car that had to be used that way. Having more movement of the wheel to work with gives more fine tuned careful control.

I'm depressed. My P100D S lease expired in December, my previous S was a P85D. I extended for 6 months waiting for this refresh. I prefer the vertical screen, but could live with the horizontal. I can not live with the steering wheel. It is dangerous, in my opinion. Besides reacting to driving situations, other people drive my car i.e. wife, valet, etc. Who is making these ridiculous decisions ? If a normal steering wheel isn't introduced in the next 2-3 weeks, I will order a Taycan Turbo S. That would be a shame, since I love everything else about the car.

Why not get it with the yoke, purchase a regular steering wheel from TSportLine (when they start making custom wheels for the new MS), and put the yoke back on when your lease is over?