TMC is an independent, primarily volunteer organization that relies on ad revenue to cover its operating costs. Please consider whitelisting TMC on your ad blocker and becoming a Supporting Member. For more info: Support TMC

New Model S owner charging primer (US)

Discussion in 'North America' started by ChadS, Dec 31, 2012.

1. ChadS

ChadS Last tank of gas: March 2009. EV miles: 244,000

#21 ChadS, Jan 2, 2013
    Last edited: Jan 29, 2013
    Yes. As you noted, the Chevy Spark will have a Frankenport. But I haven't heard of any projects to install Frankenchargers. If anybody has, please speak up!

I assume the one you saw in Belmont was at VW's research center. (I've charged there before. I mean, at the research center, not at the combo charger).

2. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

Yes, they recently installed an Eaton SAE DC QC in one of the spots directly across from the Blink CHAdeMO.
    (If you are using the CHAdeMO in a LEAF you would see the Eaton SAE in your rear view mirror.)

I don't know if VW has it only for their own testing or if they would let non VW cars use it like the way the Blink is "public".

If Tesla ever does a Model S SAE adapter I imagine they could try to test it at that VW facility.
    (Within easy Model S driving distance of Tesla engineering HQ and factory.)

- - - Updated - - -

Nice list. You could add Ford Ranger EV to the 6.6kW list. Also, the "original" Rav4EV is a special case with the inductive paddle interface.

3. rbergquist

rbergquist S946 - VIN 1017 & M3 2327

Nice Primer. I'd suggest two enhancements.

1. For the J1772, in the 3rd column list the Power for 30Amp and 70Amp circuits rather than referring someone to search elsewhere for the 70Amp specs.

2. For the "Campground 50A outlet" add an "OR Welder (6-50) Outlet" (with a pic of a 6-50 outlet). The specs are the same for both.

Agree with specifying Ideal/Rated mileage.

4. markb1

markb1 Active Member

You might be better off buying a HPWC, since it's designed to be taken apart. From the diagrams in the installation manual, it doesn't look like it would be too hard to shorten the cable at the source end.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_hpwc_installation_guide.pdf

5. TEG

TEG TMC Moderator

I have seen many people charge from NEMA 10-30 oven and dryer plugs as well.
    DRYER-3-WIRE-OUTLET.JPG
    A common scenario would be to find an electric dryer in a friend's garage and unplug it temporarily to charge the car while visiting.
    Probably safe to use up to 24A.

6. Todd Burch

Todd Burch Voltage makes me tingle.

Great post! Thanks Chad!

7. Larry Chanin

Larry Chanin President, Florida Tesla Enthusiasts

Thanks for starting this thread Chad!

Very informative.

Larry

8. dsm363

dsm363 Roadster + Sig Model S

Great list, thanks!

We all understand mph under power means miles of range gained per hour charging but that might be worth spelling out somehow in the column for others..

9. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

This is what I plan on doing when visiting my brother and grandparents.

10. efusco

efusco Moderator - Model S & X forums

Have you found an adapter?

11. ElSupreme

ElSupreme Model S 03182

I am going to make a adapter cord myself. I have a supply of free copper at my work. I can beg for wire, but still have crappy insurance. All I need is a socket and plug.

12. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Question: Is there a detailed installation guide for the HPWC? I've found this on Telsa's site, but I think an electrician (not Solarcity) would need a little more information to be able to quote.

13. TXjak

TXjak Owner/Investor/Advocate

I ran across this on the Walmart site -- might be a possiblilty. In any case, you'd want to make sure to limit the amps the car pulls.

14. pete8314

pete8314 Vendor

Nevermind, I found it, in the Manual section in My Garage on Teslamotors.com. This link may not work as it's secure, but you get the idea.

15. Kacey Green

Kacey Green Member

Charleston, South Carolina, United States
    Spark EV is the same as the Volt 3.3 and the EV1 was 6.6 though that may not matter for this purpose, since they're all little cubes or under an agreement not to put them on public roads

16. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

A couple of comments:

The NEMA 5-15 is nominally 120 volts, not 110. (2 120 volt legs on a split phase system is how you get 240 volts)

The NEMA 14-50 most commonly known as an electric range outlet, although they are also common at campgrounds.

The NEMA 14-30 (electric clothes dryer) is also a viable plug. (30 amps, 240 volts, 24 amps continuous)

Great reference document!

17. herbvdh

herbvdh Member

PLEASE be careful of dryer outlets!!! Just because it has a NEMA 14-30 does not mean the outlet is necessarily a 30 Amp. Some dryers use this plug but only have a 15 Amp line. I know I did an install for one already both Washer and Dryer were 220Volt 15 Amp.

18. mknox

mknox Well-Known Member

That makes no sense. If you were to plug a dryer into a 14-30 fused at 15 amps, it would pop the breaker and the dryer wouldn't work. I recently replaced my electric dryer with a gas one, but the old electric would draw 4,000 watts or more which is about 17 amps right there. Further, I've not seen a 240 volt washer in North America. (Never mind that fusing a 14-30 at 15 amps would be a violation of electrical codes just about everywhere).

I wonder if what you saw was a split receptacle (fed from a ganged 15 amp breaker) to supply the 120 volt feed to a washer and a gas dryer???

19. SFOTurtle

SFOTurtle Active Member

I second these suggestions and wonder if real world experience charging on a J1772 at 70A is comparable (as the existing chart says) to HPWC at the same amps.

20. Larry Hutchinson

Could someone please provide a primer on the actual use of public charging stations?

Specifically, do you need a card or fob or some sort of subscription to one or more providers?

Or can you just connect with the J1772 and, perhaps, use a credit card?