Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model S owner charging primer (US)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
ChadS, were you talking about the pictured "Frankenplug" (AKA "The Combo")

Yes. As you noted, the Chevy Spark will have a Frankenport. But I haven't heard of any projects to install Frankenchargers. If anybody has, please speak up!

I assume the one you saw in Belmont was at VW's research center. (I've charged there before. I mean, at the research center, not at the combo charger).

Last edited:
I assume the one you saw in Belmont was at VW's research center. (I've charged there before).

Yes, they recently installed an Eaton SAE DC QC in one of the spots directly across from the Blink CHAdeMO.
(If you are using the CHAdeMO in a LEAF you would see the Eaton SAE in your rear view mirror.)

I don't know if VW has it only for their own testing or if they would let non VW cars use it like the way the Blink is "public".

If Tesla ever does a Model S SAE adapter I imagine they could try to test it at that VW facility.
(Within easy Model S driving distance of Tesla engineering HQ and factory.)

- - - Updated - - -

On-board charger capabilityVehicles
2.2kWPlug in Prius
3.3kWpre-2013 Leaf, Volt, iMIEV, Fisker, smartEV
6.6kWFocusEV, 2013 Leaf, Coda, Original Rav4EV, FitEV
7.7kWActiveE
10kW2012 Rav4EV, base Model S
12kWMiniE
16.8kWRoadster
20kWModel S with twin chargers
Nice list. You could add Ford Ranger EV to the 6.6kW list. Also, the "original" Rav4EV is a special case with the inductive paddle interface.

Nice Primer. I'd suggest two enhancements.

1. For the J1772, in the 3rd column list the Power for 30Amp and 70Amp circuits rather than referring someone to search elsewhere for the 70Amp specs.

2. For the "Campground 50A outlet" add an "OR Welder (6-50) Outlet" (with a pic of a 6-50 outlet). The specs are the same for both.

Agree with specifying Ideal/Rated mileage.

I prefer to keep the 20 ft cable in the car for use on the road only, and won't need a 20 ft length cable in my garage as I have the NEMA 14-50 connector installed in right across from the Model S charging port.

Would be nice if Tesla would sell a 4 ft version of this cable. Or if they don't, does anyone know a way to shorten the 20 ft cable?

You might be better off buying a HPWC, since it's designed to be taken apart. From the diagrams in the installation manual, it doesn't look like it would be too hard to shorten the cable at the source end.

https://www.teslamotors.com/sites/default/files/blog_attachments/ms_hpwc_installation_guide.pdf

I have seen many people charge from NEMA 10-30 oven and dryer plugs as well.
DRYER-3-WIRE-OUTLET.JPG

A common scenario would be to find an electric dryer in a friend's garage and unplug it temporarily to charge the car while visiting.
Probably safe to use up to 24A.

Thanks ChadS (and FlasherZ too)

I think it's also worth understanding that other cars have onboard chargers that are much more limited than the Model S, and it's kind of a waste to have them use high power EVSE, especially if you really need it. On the way back from LA to SF last week we drove (in our Acura) the 101 and I checked out some of the old Roadster HPC that have been converted to J1772, and one was taken up by a Volt. My wife was none to keen on having to wait around for the volt to leave before we would have to spend our own 2 hours charging there, if we were driving the S. I'm thankful there are other options, like the high power EVSE at Lloyd's office in SLO with a $5/hr fee which pretty much guarantees that it will be available for us road trippers.

On-board charger capabilityVehicles
2.2kWPlug in Prius
3.3kWpre-2013 Leaf, Volt, iMIEV, Fisker, smartEV
6.6kWFocusEV, 2013 Leaf, Coda, Original Rav4EV, FitEV
7.7kWActiveE
10kW2012 Rav4EV, base Model S
12kWMiniE
16.8kWRoadster
20kWModel S with twin chargers
Spark EV is the same as the Volt 3.3 and the EV1 was 6.6 though that may not matter for this purpose, since they're all little cubes or under an agreement not to put them on public roads

A couple of comments:

The NEMA 5-15 is nominally 120 volts, not 110. (2 120 volt legs on a split phase system is how you get 240 volts)

The NEMA 14-50 most commonly known as an electric range outlet, although they are also common at campgrounds.

The NEMA 14-30 (electric clothes dryer) is also a viable plug. (30 amps, 240 volts, 24 amps continuous)

Great reference document!

A couple of comments:

The NEMA 14-30 (electric clothes dryer) is also a viable plug. (30 amps, 240 volts, 24 amps continuous)

Great reference document!

PLEASE be careful of dryer outlets!!! Just because it has a NEMA 14-30 does not mean the outlet is necessarily a 30 Amp. Some dryers use this plug but only have a 15 Amp line. I know I did an install for one already both Washer and Dryer were 220Volt 15 Amp.

PLEASE be careful of dryer outlets!!! Just because it has a NEMA 14-30 does not mean the outlet is necessarily a 30 Amp. Some dryers use this plug but only have a 15 Amp line. I know I did an install for one already both Washer and Dryer were 220Volt 15 Amp.

That makes no sense. If you were to plug a dryer into a 14-30 fused at 15 amps, it would pop the breaker and the dryer wouldn't work. I recently replaced my electric dryer with a gas one, but the old electric would draw 4,000 watts or more which is about 17 amps right there. Further, I've not seen a 240 volt washer in North America. (Never mind that fusing a 14-30 at 15 amps would be a violation of electrical codes just about everywhere).

I wonder if what you saw was a split receptacle (fed from a ganged 15 amp breaker) to supply the 120 volt feed to a washer and a gas dryer???

Nice Primer. I'd suggest two enhancements.

1. For the J1772, in the 3rd column list the Power for 30Amp and 70Amp circuits rather than referring someone to search elsewhere for the 70Amp specs.

2. For the "Campground 50A outlet" add an "OR Welder (6-50) Outlet" (with a pic of a 6-50 outlet). The specs are the same for both.

Agree with specifying Ideal/Rated mileage.

I second these suggestions and wonder if real world experience charging on a J1772 at 70A is comparable (as the existing chart says) to HPWC at the same amps.