Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y details from supposed internal documents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Can we just have a hatchback version of the Model 3 please...

Please no
  • FW doors
  • 3rd row
  • 6000lbs
When they first unveiled the 3 nearly three years ago. I was happy I had already placed a reservation earlier in the day, sight-unseen. Later that evening there were videos of people taking test rides and I saw the trunk. I immediately removed it from consideration. I placed an order for a Model S 10 days later.

hopefully it’s over 6000 lbs GVW too so we can get the hummer write off for business owners.

I would bet my house the Model Y will be nowhere near that heavy. We know it's based on the M3 platform and so it will be considerably smaller and lighter than the Model X. It's likely to be about the same size as a BMW X3, which would be its logical target market.

Personally I think they will style it similar to the X with an aerodynamic profile rather than a more conventional box design - which would be out of sync with their other models. But I suppose there is a chance that they might make it a bit more utilitarian to maximise space on the smaller platform. The thing with the X is that even though it has a sloping roofline, it's still bigger inside than most of its direct box-like SUV rivals e.g. Volvo XC90, Porsche Cayenne.

As for battery size, again I would bet my house that the Model Y doesn't have anything remotely like a 200 kWh battery option! Be more like 75 kWh in line with M3, perhaps with a 90 kWh option tops.

Basically sounds like you need to wait for the pickup!

I would bet my house the Model Y will be nowhere near that heavy. We know it's based on the M3 platform and so it will be considerably smaller and lighter than the Model X. It's likely to be about the same size as a BMW X3, which would be its logical target market.

Personally I think they will style it similar to the X with an aerodynamic profile rather than a more conventional box design - which would be out of sync with their other models. But I suppose there is a chance that they might make it a bit more utilitarian to maximise space on the smaller platform. The thing with the X is that even though it has a sloping roofline, it's still bigger inside than most of its direct box-like SUV rivals e.g. Volvo XC90, Porsche Cayenne.

As for battery size, again I would bet my house that the Model Y doesn't have anything remotely like a 200 kWh battery option! Be more like 75 kWh in line with M3, perhaps with a 90 kWh option tops.

Basically sounds like you need to wait for the pickup!
Can we just have a hatchback version of the Model 3 please...

Please no
  • FW doors
  • 3rd row
  • 6000lbs
You do understand its the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating not the weight of the vehicle.... Say the vehicle weights 4000 lbs and and has a 2000 pound cargo and passenger capacity, this would qualify the vehicle as a Standard SUV.

The Model 3 has a GVWR of over 4800 pounds. The base weight of the 3 is 3814 pounds It wouldn't be that much of stretch to get to 6001 pounds in an SUV config. Assume the same BMI of the Model X verses the Model S. The GVWR in the Model S is 5997 pounds, the Model X GVWR is 6768 pounds, (approximately 11.4% heaver than the sedan) IF they exceed 6001 pounds GVWR, then all us small business owners can write off the capital acquisition costs of the vehicle... in fact under current law 75% of value in year one!!!! They will sell the hell out of this SUV to fleet managers of businesses.

Did some math - 4801 is the GVWR of the Model 3, if we make it 11.4% heavier the GVWR will be 5473 pounds, so we have a ~500 pound delta they could make up with stronger suspension components to get to 6001.
From another view point the Gross weight of the Model 3 is 3800 pounds wiith ~ 1000 pound cargo capacity. if the Model Y has a gross weight of 4500 pounds with a cargo capacity of 1501 pounds we are good to go!!!

If they dont get to 6001 on the Y, I hope they add 4 more pounds to the 5997 GVWR of the Model S, so I can get the 75% writeoff on my next one... I hope the Y has a GVWR of 6001 pounds and this pig gets me a 75% reduction in the cost to acquire!!!

Last edited:
You do understand its the Gross Vehicle Weight Rating not the weight of the vehicle.... Say the vehicle weights 4000 lbs and and has a 2000 pound cargo and passenger capacity, this would qualify the vehicle as a Standard SUV.

The Model 3 has a GVWR of over 4800 pounds. The base weight of the 3 is 3814 pounds It wouldn't be that much of stretch to get to 6001 pounds in an SUV config. Assume the same BMI of the Model X verses the Model S. The GVWR in the Model S is 5997 pounds, the Model X GVWR is 6768 pounds, (approximately 11.4% heaver than the sedan) IF they exceed 6001 pounds GVWR, then all us small business owners can write off the capital acquisition costs of the vehicle... in fact under current law 75% of value in year one!!!! They will sell the hell out of this SUV to fleet managers of businesses.

Did some math - 4801 is the GVWR of the Model 3, if we make it 11.4% heavier the GVWR will be 5473 pounds, so we have a ~500 pound delta they could make up with stronger suspension components to get to 6001.
From another view point the Gross weight of the Model 3 is 3800 pounds wiith ~ 1000 pound cargo capacity. if the Model Y has a gross weight of 4500 pounds with a cargo capacity of 1501 pounds we are good to go!!!

If they dont get to 6001 on the Y, I hope they add 4 more pounds to the 5997 GVWR of the Model S, so I can get the 75% writeoff on my next one... I hope the Y has a GVWR of 6001 pounds and this pig gets me a 75% reduction in the cost to acquire!!!

Ah I see now! Sorry I thought you had gone nuts, but my mistake! I guess you could be lucky, but it's still a big ask on the M3 platform. If Tesla didn't bother adding 4 lb on the Model S to push it over the limit, then I can't see them adding 500+ lbs on the Model Y.

• Funny
Reactions: Xenoilphobe

Look at page 5. The Model S P100D does exceed 6000 GVWR https://iaspub.epa.gov/otaqpub/display_file.jsp?docid=39834&flag=1 ILL TAKE 10% of your savings

Last edited:
Ah I see now! Sorry I thought you had gone nuts, but my mistake! I guess you could be lucky, but it's still a big ask on the M3 platform. If Tesla didn't bother adding 4 lb on the Model S to push it over the limit, then I can't see them adding 500+ lbs on the Model Y.
Looks like the P100D does qualify at 6043 lbs GVWR!!!!! see document below.. Hopefully the "P" model of the Y will qualify - also its not about adding weight, its about adding cargo carrying capacity to push the car up to 6000 lbs GVWR....

Last edited:
Even though, honestly, aerodynamics aren’t everything unless all you’re interested in is HWY driving.

True, but range only matters in highway driving. In other words, the 75 kWh battery of the Model 3 exists primarily for highway range. Give the 75kWh battery a brick-shaped body and you've turned a 310-mile range into 200 highway miles.

I LOVE how far the Model 3 will coast in neutral!

Looks like the P100D does qualify at 6043 lbs GVWR!!!!! see document below.. Hopefully the "P" model of the Y will qualify - also its not about adding weight, its about adding cargo carrying capacity to push the car up to 6000 lbs GVWR....

Out of interest does the subsidy make up for the huge cost increase of the P100D vs 100D or 75D? Obviously that doesn't matter if you were going to buy the P100D anyway, but if you were just upgrading to get the subsidy would it be actually worth it financially?

I totally understand the GVWR, we own a model X. That is exactly why I didn’t want it to be heavy enough to get to that rating. You can feel the weight in the X during “more active” driving. One of the reasons I feel the model 3 is more fun to drive.

Ok, more details on the Model S GVWR... went to the SC in McLean VA today to check out the P100D Model S.... and found out that a November production 2018 maxed out only has a 5963 GVWR.... further the only Model S P100D that has a GVWR over 6K is the 7 seat version. The sales guys didn't even know until we looked it up... and they said a lot of small business owners wanted the S, but got pushed to the X due to the GVWR being below 6K on the S...

• Informative
Reactions: Nosken
True, but range only matters in highway driving. In other words, the 75 kWh battery of the Model 3 exists primarily for highway range. Give the 75kWh battery a brick-shaped body and you've turned a 310-mile range into 200 highway miles.

I LOVE how far the Model 3 will coast in neutral!
I've found the range on the M3 to be incredibly efficient versus my old S60. I noticed a 10% range loss at highway speeds in the M3 (75 mph), same trip in the S60, the range loss was nearly 33%.

For us, we don't want more seats blocking the cargo room. My GF just really wants a hatchback so we can haul some things. Before I got my Model 3 I had a Subaru XV Crosstrek, and it was nice to be able to move objects that don't fit in a standard trunked sedan. My GF has a couple years left on her current car loan, but when it's paid off, we're getting another hatchback. It will either be a Model Y, or a used S. Haven't decided yet, depends on config and pricing of the Y when it's shown off.

One of the model 3 owners I spoke to pointed out the height limitation of the trunk. I think you can fold down the back seats, but you still can't get anything tall in there from the trunk.