Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Model Y details from supposed internal documents

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
It'll look like the Volvo XC40 SUV but with a rear facing 7 seat Model S "option". The development work is already done for it. Might as well use it. They took the option off of the Model S to push people towards the Model X, but also so they could then put it on the Model Y to better differentiate it from the Model 3. This then allows people who cannot afford the Model X a 7 seat Tesla option. And because the 2 additional seats are only accessible through the back hatch there is logically no need for the expensive falcon wing doors as it's primary purpose is not needed.

Attachments

• xc40-1701.jpg
    xc40-1701.jpg
    124.2 KB · Views: 161
  • tesla.jpg
    tesla.jpg
    175.3 KB · Views: 142
  • Informative
Reactions: EVCollies
My guess is that you will be wrong. The MY will be to the M3 as the MX is to the MS -- a CUV version, just slightly taller than the M3. We won't see the station wagon square back, it's an aerodynamic nightmare. Won't see that until they have room for much more battery.

Very good then. Let's get back to this in a few months.

Reactions: BerTX
According to these document which Tesla are calling "outdated", Model Y would start production in Q2 2020 (June'ish), and ramp as fast as they can ramp thru the end of the year. The optimistic estimate here is 7,000/wk by the end of the year.

We won't get anything official until the March unveiling.

... and you won't have a realistic delivery date until Tesla are building over a few hundred a week. :)

Reactions: 11thIndian
Don't get me wrong, I HOPE you are right. I wanted the MX to be the "SUV" that they talked about, but the reality was different.

It would be pretty significant break from Tesla’s design language to have anything other than a steeply sloped back on the Model Y. I wouldn’t mind something with more straight up cargo room, but I think Tesla engineers would have a real issue with shipping something adove a certain drag coefficient. Even though, honestly, aerodynamics aren’t everything unless all you’re interested in is HWY driving.

Really looking foreword to seeing what they have in mind in March.

Reactions: BerTX
I've been driving a Ford Ranger because I sometimes need to transport dirty/rough things that just really don't belong inside any kind of SUV/CUV and one thing that I've always had in any car even before getting the Ranger is some towing capacity for a small utility trailer. At this point I'm wanting to give up the rough, 4WD ride of the Ranger, but I still want some cargo capacity on a small trailer. I'm only looking for maybe 1500 lbs. towing capacity like other small SUVs and want to retain AWD/4WD. At one point I was willing to lose all the cargo utility and go with an S, but the lack of any towing capacity was a show stopper. The X, of course, can tow, but it's just too big and the falcon wing doors are just a stupid complexity that I abhor. If I wanted a monster I'd be driving a full-size pickup or SUV right now, but that stuff is just not my size.

All of this is to say I hope the Y has a towing capacity similar to many of the other SUV/CUVs mentioned up-thread. Even if the range with towing is fairly lousy, (I've watched several online accounts of towing with MX) it would probably suit my needs which are usually local.

I'm not sure why MX is the only thing Tesla is willing to post any towing capacity for. All the Teslas are, relatively speaking, heavy, powerful vehicles with low centers of gravity that would seem to offer more than adequate handling authority to tow at least utility trailers with, compared to comparable ICE vehicles.

Last edited:
I think many potential customers would be delighted to see the Model Y come with center opening (suicice) doors. Would offer unique styling and offer excellent rear seat access.
Towing capacity of 3,000 lbs would allow towing of small trailers as well as hitch mounted bike racks and cargo trunks.
Multiple battery capacity could allow a wide range of pricing.
Optional auto pilot configurations would please many.
The Hatch back will offer many conveniences.

Smaller cross over SUV's are currently the Hot Spot in the marketplace. The fastest growing segment. They appeal to all age groups and family sizes.

Probably, like others the highest priced/optioned versions will be offered first. There will be many in line to get the first couple years of production and it should keep Tesla on a rapid growth curve.

The profits from the higher priced versions will go towards paying off the massive developmental costs of both the vehicle and the plant. Since Tesla has gained knowledge from production of previous vehicles, it makes sense that they will become more efficient in doing so.

I predict the Model Y will become super popular with dog owners, out doors types, sports oriented people, retirees, singles, newleyweds, Minivan haters, smaller families, small business owners, campers, road trippers, commuters, and first time EV buyers.

With world wide demand, the Model Y will most likely become the highest production volume vehicle in the growing Tesla lineup.

You can buy the X for that. Why would you want the Y to be that bloated?
I can’t stomach the X.... the design is well, not something I would want to be seen in..

I guess I have to wait for the pickup and hope it doesn’t get weirded out too...

A sport wagon would be something i would look at, but it has to be more utilitarian than my S

200 KWh battery pack could help with the weight...

I can’t stomach the X.... the design is well, not something I would want to be seen in..

I guess I have to wait for the pickup and hope it doesn’t get weirded out too...

A sport wagon would be something i would look at, but it has to be more utilitarian than my S

200 KWh battery pack could help with the weight...

I would love a 3 Sports Wagon, I fear the Y will look like a smaller X (but without the FWD).

They will only release a 200 kWh 3/Y after they release a 250+ kWh S/X so wouldn't hold out for that. I can see the pickup having a very large battery (north of 100 kWh).

Reactions: EVCollies
Here are the US Government standards for an Mid-Sized SUV and a comparison to the Model 3.

By EPA rules the Model 3 is considered a Large Sedan with over 120 cubic inches of passenger 97 ft3 + cargo volume 15 ft3. However DOT has the Model 3 listed as a Mid-Size Sedan with 112 ft3. (passenger + cargo)

Vehicle size class - Wikipedia (USA)
https://www.automobiledimension.com/mid-size-suv.php (Europe)

Mid-Size Sedan Volume: 110–119.9 ft3 (3115–3397 Liters)
Midsize Wagon Volume: 130–159 (3681–4530)
Small sport utility vehicles. Sport utility vehicles with a GVWR below 6,000 pounds. and we have already classified the Model Y as a Mid-Size SUV, if the Y is below 6,000 pounds its considered a SMALL SUV, based on federal regulation in the USA.

Standard sport utility vehicles. Sport utility vehicles with a GVWR at or above 6,000 pounds and at or below 10,000 pounds.

Source: Federal Regulation, Title 40—Protection of Environment, Section 600.315-08 Classes of comparable automobiles. Passenger car classes are defined based on interior volume index, passenger and cargo volume.

Here are some examples of Mid-Sized SUV's per the American Classification system: Jeep Grand Cherokee, Volkswagen Touareg, Volvo XC90.

Last edited:
Last edited:
Found some more details on the SUV size classes.

Find-a-Car Help

Small SUV: < 6000 bs GVWR
Standard SUV: > 6000 lbs to < 10,000 lbs GVWR (Model X is considered a "Standard SUV")

Technically there is no class identified by the EPA that is Midsize.

What is also interesting is which are the most searched vehicles on the EPA website:
Screen Shot 2019-01-06 at 12.39.35 PM.png

Last edited:
Reactions: bhzmark
As far as the third row, there's a few other compact SUVs (market designation, not EPA designation) that cram a third row in.

The Mitsubishi Outlander, Volkswagen Tiguan, Nissan Rogue, and in some markets (not the US) the Honda CR-V all have one available.

The longest of those - the Outlander and Tiguan - are about the same length as the Model 3, with less efficient packaging (Outlander has room for a 60° V6, Tiguan has room for turbo 4 cylinders with the turbo and a large emissions aftertreatment module on the back side of the engine, whereas a Tesla's firewall can be pushed further forward, adding more interior room).