Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Navigation Coming This Weekend! (circa March 31, 2018)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I’m not able to connect neither Tesla to my google WiFi.
Any pointers?
IIRC, Tesla doesn't support certain special characters in the password. I believe the radio is prob only 2.4Ghz also.. Consider changing your password to be less complex using just alpha and numeric... and maybe no spaces. Def stay away from special chars as I think these are the real problem. Just my $.02, YMMV

Exactly.

I’m on WiFi at least 20 hours a day and I haven’t received the new maps. Having WiFi doesn’t guarantee anything. It’s all part of their deliberate push, verify, fix, push, verify, wash, rinse, repeat process.
I agree. WiFi seems to have no bearing at all. The only part about it that will get you the update 'faster' is the faster SPEED of downloads. The push (by VIN) to individual cars is random within batches of VINs Tesla decides to target based on a variety of factors... car config, location, etc.

Keep in mind that, as others have mentioned, one big bottleneck is the MCU's storage system. It just can't write data very quickly (maybe MCU2 is better?). The data coming down has to be held locally (in your car) somewhere. Once memory buffers are used up, some data must be flushed to disk before anything else can be downloaded - your car will tell the download server to slow down or even stop so that it can write some data. So no matter how fast the download server is, that limitation is what will slow the download.
yea, I agree with that. To me, the bottleneck is not necessarily at the server level; it's in the car. The only thing I would clarify is that the car doesn't tell the server to slow down. Downloads work by requesting data as it is needed. There is a difference '-)

F0B1648A-EDC3-46B7-B95F-C446DED8513B.jpeg
IIRC, Tesla doesn't support certain special characters in the password. I believe the radio is prob only 2.4Ghz also.. Consider changing your password to be less complex using just alpha and numeric... and maybe no spaces. Def stay away from special chars as I think these are the real problem. Just my $.02, YMMV

Thank you.
I was able to connect to WIFI after a few tries, I think the password length was the issue even tho my X connected to the more complex one while my MS didn’t.

On a side note, seems I got something last night :)

I guess I’m special. Got the new navigation just 2 days after 2018.12. Car is sitting 10 feet away from a WiFi access point on a 450mbps connection. Didn’t drive car much last few days. Not sure if that made a difference.

One interesting point. On both my S and X, I received a "error: navigation maps not loaded" warning message about 24 hours before the map update message appeared. So that might be a clue that you got the maps and the system is just unpacking/loading it.

View attachment 293427

Thank you.
I was able to connect to WIFI after a few tries, I think the password length was the issue even tho my X connected to the more complex one while my MS didn’t.

On a side note, seems I got something last night :)
okay maybe it's just overall pwd length then... I have a very long password at home and mine would only connect when i made it something simple and i assumed it was all the special chars... thanks for clearing it up and glad you have them paired now! ;)

okay maybe it's just overall pwd length then... I have a very long password at home and mine would only connect when i made it something simple and i assumed it was all the special chars... thanks for clearing it up and glad you have them paired now! ;)
My passwords (passphrases) are all lowercase alphanumeric ONLY and on the order of 40 characters. That's what I do to eliminate any issues with special characters for idiot programmers that can't store things properly. (People who know, know what I mean.)

No problems with Tesla wifi setup at all. So, anyone having issues, might try that. Uppercase and special characters really don't do anything to stop people 'breaking in', it's password/phrase length, once you get over 25-30 characters, it's virtually unbreakable.

My passwords (passphrases) are all lowercase alphanumeric ONLY and on the order of 40 characters. That's what I do to eliminate any issues with special characters for idiot programmers that can't store things properly. (People who know, know what I mean.)

No problems with Tesla wifi setup at all. So, anyone having issues, might try that. Uppercase and special characters really don't do anything to stop people 'breaking in', it's password/phrase length, once you get over 25-30 characters, it's virtually unbreakable.
Virtually unbreakable? To a layman perhaps. :) The Clowns in Action and other agencies always have a way in as do any hackers worth their salt. Read Wikileaks, etc.... lots of white papers of all the goodies they have.
WPA vulnerability — Krebs on Security

Thanks for verifying it's not password length though! I guess it is special chars like I originally thought... I just didn't bother to test and verify... I realized over time I didn't want the Tesla on my internal network anyhow... and I'm too lazy to get guest wifi out there to it ;-)

Virtually unbreakable? To a layman perhaps. :) The Clowns in Action and other agencies always have a way in as do any hackers worth their salt. Read Wikileaks, etc.... lots of white papers of all the goodies they have.
WPA vulnerability — Krebs on Security

Thanks for verifying it's not password length though! I guess it is special chars like I originally thought... I just didn't bother to test and verify... I realized over time I didn't want the Tesla on my internal network anyhow... and I'm too lazy to get guest wifi out there to it ;-)
Yeah, WiFi security in general is always having new issues, but I was talking about the 'goodness' of a long passphrase. People always think uppercase/leetspeak/special characters do 'something' for them, when making it longer is a far better answer. 'special' characters were obsolete last century.

And, I read everything Brian Krebs publishes, he's a great for educating people about security issues in general! :D Highly recommend adding him to your automatic feed of what you get notified about!

Yep, it's also good idea to put everything that doesn't need it on a guest network, even if it's just routed outside. Then at least that traffic isn't internal when it doesn't need to be, and many of us have a lot of traffic that doesn't need to be anywhere but on the Internet. The car isn't talking to my PC or my TV (at least not directly)!.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Yeah, WiFi security in general is always having new issues, but I was talking about the 'goodness' of a long passphrase. People always think uppercase/leetspeak/special characters do 'something' for them, when making it longer is a far better answer. 'special' characters were obsolete last century.

And, I read everything Brian Krebs publishes, he's a great for educating people about security issues in general! :D Highly recommend adding him to your automatic feed of what you get notified about!

Yep, it's also good idea to put everything that doesn't need it on a guest network, even if it's just routed outside. Then at least that traffic isn't internal when it doesn't need to be, and many of us have a lot of traffic that doesn't need to be anywhere but on the Internet. The car isn't talking to my PC or my TV (at least not directly)!.
You really don’t want to tell everyone that lowercase only is fine. As soon as the word is out and everyone switches the brute force search space becomes smaller :)

Another fun datapoint: Got 2018.12 yesterday, had the car on wifi, rebooting the MCU and whatnot multiple times, nothing transferred at all yesterday.

Today, left the car parked with a hotspot. Nothing happened in the morning, but in the last 3 hours it just downloaded 5.2GB or so and then leveled off.

Presumably this means sometime in the next 3 days after computing the checksum using the onboard Nintendo DS, I'll have new maps :D

We finally received our update Yesterday afternoon. It took several days to be on our mobile hot spot on a tablet with approx 6 or so GB later. I thought there was a web page that was tracking the updates. Can't find it now for I was going to add to their data points.
Version 2018.12 5 eadc71.

Now can't wait for the phone key over Bluetooth update for the S.
However, I think we should all be aware of what we are asking for. Here's google making phone calls for us. Direct link to the recorded conversations. I'm sure we are near the time from not being able to open the back hatch. " I'm afraid Dave, I can not do that."

hi all, I just got updated yesterday to 2018.18 but no new navigation yet. It was quite a hurdle because I had to put a small access point in the car for it to load the new version. It kept asking for wifi.
Hopefully somewhere soon I get a new update with the new nav.