Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is he still planning to buy a Chademo adapter to lend to visiting Model S's? I'd think an hour at the Chademo while eating dinner would be sufficient for a Boston->Bar Harbor run.
Yes, so that's a pretty good option. His property manager is trying to order one, but it's still not available to order from the website.

- - - Updated - - -

I think his best change is a destination charger at this point. TM seems set on Maine Mall, Augusta and eventually Bangor.
He's got that already. He's not quite given up, though.

Has anybody heard anything about getting Superchargers into Maine? I see gray dots for 2015 on Portland, Augusta and Bangor but haven't heard anything else. We are hoping to go from Boston to Bangor in mid-August and it's not looking good.

Has anybody heard anything about getting Superchargers into Maine? I see gray dots for 2015 on Portland, Augusta and Bangor but haven't heard anything else. We are hoping to go from Boston to Bangor in mid-August and it's not looking good.

There are a few of us that have been working on getting Maine set up with some superchargers for over a year now. If you read a couple of posts in the last few pages you will see that it looked like one might go into downtown Portland but seemed to fade at the last minute. SCs could spring up in Maine all of a sudden. I would think it more likely that a couple of destination chargers could be in place by the time of your summer travel but probably not SCs.

I doubt we'll have SCs on that route by mid-August, but we could be pleasantly surprised. Tesla is rumored to be looking at four SCs on I-95 north of Boston: Salisbury MA (where I-495 and I-95 split), Portland, Augusta, and Bangor. Until then, the CHAdeMO with Tesla adapter at the Fore St Garage in Portland is the fastest charging option on that route.

Thank you both. I wasn't sure whether the gray dots had gone up before or after the earlier/aforementioned plans fell through. I just received this somewhat optimistic reply from the Supercharger team:
We are actively working to bring Superchargers to Maine around the Summer but we are unable to guarantee opening dates.

Mid March, I emailed someone at Augusta's Code Enforcement department, asking whether they've had any enquiries from Tesla about chargers. The person responded that she may have spoken with somebody briefly, who had asked about how long a permit lasts and passed them on to someone else. She suggested emailing every couple of months, so I'm waiting for May before emailing again. :p

I've look at the planning board agenda (they cover zoning variances) and checked the building permit list but not seen anything.

Once/if an Augusta site appears I'd be happy to check out the site.

- - - Updated - - -

I doubt we'll have SCs on that route by mid-August, but we could be pleasantly surprised. Tesla is rumored to be looking at four SCs on I-95 north of Boston: Salisbury MA (where I-495 and I-95 split), Portland, Augusta, and Bangor. Until then, the CHAdeMO with Tesla adapter at the Fore St Garage in Portland is the fastest charging option on that route.

South Portland Community Center also has a CHAdeMO (donated at the same time as the Fore St Parking Garage). If a Portland area Supercharger doesn't get installed by September 13th, this could be relevant to people with a CHAdeMO adapter who wish to attend the Drive Electric Week event in South Portland on September 13th. (Mark your calendars.)

I need to report that the CHAdeMO adapter at the Fore St Garage in Portland is available only for monthly parkers. I haven't discussed this with the owner, but I suspect he did some math and realized he could lose a lot of money paying for 50 kWh of power in exchange for receiving parking payment for one hour.

(To be clear: the CHAdeMO is available and free, but the adaptor is limited. BYO)

I need to report that the CHAdeMO adapter at the Fore St Garage in Portland is available only for monthly parkers. I haven't discussed this with the owner, but I suspect he did some math and realized he could lose a lot of money paying for 50 kWh of power in exchange for receiving parking payment for one hour.

(To be clear: the CHAdeMO is available and free, but the adaptor is limited. BYO)

Thanks for the clarification. The economics of CHAdeMO adapters motivated me to buy one. Many of us have spent or considered spending a lot putting dual chargers in the car and HPWC setups in our homes for 20 kW when the adapter gets 25-50 kW at a great many more places at a much lower cost.

Sure would like to see some permits showing up on supercharge.info on the Maine turnpike...

I've just been through all of the 2015 planning board minutes for Bangor and Augusta, nothing yet... :(

Does anyone know how to look up projects for the Maine turnpike rest areas? I looked in the local towns meeting minutes and did not see anything. The spacing of the rest areas is pretty ideal for Superchargers and there are amenities to pass the time.

Does anyone know how to look up projects for the Maine turnpike rest areas? I looked in the local towns meeting minutes and did not see anything. The spacing of the rest areas is pretty ideal for Superchargers and there are amenities to pass the time.

That type of thing in Delaware goes through the Department of Transportation...you might start there

Very unlikely locations for Maine. We've gotten pretty good clues about the Augusta and Bangor locations, upthread. Portland is a bit less certain.

My guess is 2016 for the southern Maine Supercharger. I don't think there has been any permit activity. The August and Bangor sites might come earlier.

Agreed. There are a number of us on TMC that have been trying to help facilitate getting SCs in Maine over the past two years...especially Portland. I was at the shareholder's meeting on Tuesday and 'chuckled' under my breath when EM indicated adoption of the model S had been slow in the northeast. Begs the 'chicken and the egg' dilemna. Is the northeast slow to adopt because they have very poor SC coverage or is TM slow at putting in SCs because of slow adoption rate of the S? The answer is above my pay grade.

Agreed. There are a number of us on TMC that have been trying to help facilitate getting SCs in Maine over the past two years...especially Portland. I was at the shareholder's meeting on Tuesday and 'chuckled' under my breath when EM indicated adoption of the model S had been slow in the northeast. Begs the 'chicken and the egg' dilemna. Is the northeast slow to adopt because they have very poor SC coverage or is TM slow at putting in SCs because of slow adoption rate of the S? The answer is above my pay grade.

Here's one data point for you: we live in Boston and head up to the White Mountains bi-monthly. We ordered our Tesla immediately after construction began at Hooksett.

Hi, @AIMc,

Did EM say anything else about adoption rates in the Northeast? Or elsewhere?

I live in Metrowest, near 90 & 95. I received my S in August, 2013. At that point, I almost never saw another S. Today, I'm passing other Teslas seemingly multiple times per day. (Disappointingly, many of them don't wave back at me or flick their lights. Humph.) Of course, what I observe may be limited to a small region.

Thanks,
Alan