Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi, @AIMc,

Did EM say anything else about adoption rates in the Northeast? Or elsewhere?

I live in Metrowest, near 90 & 95. I received my S in August, 2013. At that point, I almost never saw another S. Today, I'm passing other Teslas seemingly multiple times per day. (Disappointingly, many of them don't wave back at me or flick their lights. Humph.) Of course, what I observe may be limited to a small region.

Thanks,
Alan

Sorry, EM did not give any actual numbers or even percentages, just made a passing comment that they had not tapped demand in the northeast. I grew up in Mass/Maine and have family there. Two of them have orders in but wil not 'finalize' until they see more SC development in that region, especially along 95.

Sorry, EM did not give any actual numbers or even percentages, just made a passing comment that they had not tapped demand in the northeast. I grew up in Mass/Maine and have family there. Two of them have orders in but wil not 'finalize' until they see more SC development in that region, especially along 95.
The three Maine I-95 locations are still on the Tesla 2015 map, FWIW. For most people, the two new New Hampshire sites (Seabrook and West Leb) will go a long way to covering places most people drive. E.g., Seabrook to Freeport is 81 miles (easy round-trip) and to Sugerloaf is 178 miles (one-way, so okay if there's destination charging). Still, I hope Tesla sticks to its 2015 goals for Maine.

The three Maine I-95 locations are still on the Tesla 2015 map, FWIW. For most people, the two new New Hampshire sites (Seabrook and West Leb) will go a long way to covering places most people drive. E.g., Seabrook to Freeport is 81 miles (easy round-trip) and to Sugerloaf is 178 miles (one-way, so okay if there's destination charging). Still, I hope Tesla sticks to its 2015 goals for Maine.
Well said. NH is great but Maine still can't come soon enough. I've got trips to Katahdin and Bar Harbor riding on it!

Well said. NH is great but Maine still can't come soon enough. I've got trips to Katahdin and Bar Harbor riding on it!

Both are doable today if you have a Chademo adapter, there is a unit at the Nissan dealer (probably 25kW, and sadly there is NOTHING within walking distance of it) in Bangor, and some L2's on/near MDI Island (possibly a couple destination chargers as well).

North of Bangor there's really nothing until Woodstock NB, or Quebec. Possibly a campsite would have 30- or 50-amp services. If you get really stuck, I'll have a 9.6kW L2 charger up and running a couple exits south of Millinocket in a week or three, just IM me.

Still nothing on the Bangor planning meetings for a Supercharger permit app. :(

Last edited:
Darien Southbound iced by CT's finest. He just went into the store to purchase a drink - no emergency. So much for setting an appropriate example for others to follow.

ImageUploadedByTapatalk1437336831.127078.jpg

Where does New England currently stand with respect to fulfilling the 2014 map?

iirc, still missing are South Burlington and Bangor.. Seabrook as well (was once projected for Portsmouth). Any I'm missing? Portland?

Yes, they had Portland on 2014, to come before Bangor. After a great deal of hassle it was >< close to finalized details, and then Tesla pulled out. No idea if there's an anything on the horizon.
They have since added Augusta as planned for 2015 in Maine, but there's no signs of life there, at least not in the Planning Board Agendas or permit lists.

At this point, with Seabrook not yet started, I can't see Maine getting anything until 2016 at least. Maine's a small market itself, although there's a bunch of people who want to drive here for vacation, visits and other special things. Maine's also not a major thoroughfare, the way VT would be between MA and Montreal. And they may be thinking no rush until the X is out because snow. Honestly, at this point, if Maine doesn't get anything until fall of 2016 I wouldn't be surprised.

Last edited:
Yes, they had Portland on 2014, to come before Bangor. After a great deal of hassle it was >< close to finalized details, and then Tesla pulled out. No idea if there's an anything on the horizon.
They have since added Augusta as planned for 2015 in Maine, but there's no signs of life there, at least not in the Planning Board Agendas or permit lists.

At this point, with Seabrook not yet started, I can't see Maine getting anything until 2016 at least. Maine's a small market itself, although there's a bunch of people who want to drive here for vacation, visits and other special things. Maine's also not a major thoroughfare, the way VT would be between MA and Montreal. And they may be thinking no rush until the X is out because snow. Honestly, at this point, if Maine doesn't get anything until fall of 2016 I wouldn't be surprised.

Totally agree, and it is a shame. Several TMcers worked very hard to try to get some (OK, even one) SC in Maine. There is not only a potential thriving market in the Portland area for AWD Teslas but there are a number of 'reverse snowbirds' that summer in Maine that own Teslas.

... There is not only a potential thriving market in the Portland area for AWD Teslas but there are a number of 'reverse snowbirds' that summer in Maine that own Teslas.

+1

Also, people from Quebec and the Atlantic provinces would use Maine Superchargers. Now that A-73 is being lengthened and widened, I would prefer to use it for Quebec City to Boston rather than going through New Hampshire and Vermont. I was actually 5 miles from the Maine border last week and entered "USA" in the NAV. With there being no Bangor Supercharger it wanted me to enter the US in Detroit. (Apparently, it was targeting the center of the 48-states. Either that, or Maine is its own country.)

rps20150729_185423.jpg

+1

Also, people from Quebec and the Atlantic provinces would use Maine Superchargers. Now that A-73 is being lengthened and widened, I would prefer to use it for Quebec City to Boston rather than going through New Hampshire and Vermont. I was actually 5 miles from the Maine border last week and entered "USA" in the NAV. With there being no Bangor Supercharger it wanted me to enter the US in Detroit. (Apparently, it was targeting the center of the 48-states. Either that, or Maine is its own country.)

View attachment 88915

Yes, we vacationed in Quebec City a couple of years ago. It's an easy drive up US-201 and would become easier as A-73 is extended (lots of construction when we were on it) . Tesla's planning to have a Supercharger in Augusta, believed to be near I-95 Exit 112, and that's 215 miles from Quebec City (218 if you get off I-95 at 133). Jackman, ME is about halfway between them.

EV Trip Planner says that with speed multiplier 1, cabin 72F, outside temperature 0F, payload 800 lb, Augusta to Jackman would use 158 rated miles, Quebec City to Jackman would use 163 rated miles. So conditions would have to be pretty extreme to stop travel.

Maine's a small market itself, although there's a bunch of people who want to drive here for vacation, visits and other special things. Maine's also not a major thoroughfare,

EXACTLY!!

There is a reason that "Vacationland" is on yall's Maine plates.

- - - Updated - - -

Totally agree, and it is a shame. Several TMcers worked very hard to try to get some (OK, even one) SC in Maine. There is not only a potential thriving market in the Portland area for AWD Teslas but there are a number of 'reverse snowbirds' that summer in Maine that own Teslas.

Totally agree II !

Any new movement on superchargers in Maine?

Seems like this is getting silly. Maine is, so it says on the license plates, Vacationland! Doesn't that mean it is ideally suited to superchargers along the highways and byways?

Yes, except that on a busy weekend it gets _really_ busy and I'm glad to be heading south passing the long lines of traffic heading north. If Tesla installs Superchargers, they'd better get it right.