Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
There are a few CHAdeMO chargers in Maine, five of them according to Plugshare, if you have the CHAdeMO adapter. I have a conference in Maine every October. One of these years I want to drive the Tesla out there. But I'd like there to be a SC or to in the state first.

With Seabrook, NH coming on line soon it should be a no-brainer if your conference is Portland or south.
The Nissan dealers have been very helpful to me as well.

The conference is in Southwest Harbor. I fly into Bangor every year, rent a car, and head south. If I were driving out there, I'd come up I-95 to Portland and then Brunswick, but then turn off onto Hwy. 1 and skirt along the coast (sort of) up to Southwest Harbor. I find driving on two-lane state roads, such as Hwy. 1, to be more interesting than freeways, although they are certainly slower and arguably less safe than freeways. I've never driven that stretch in Maine. The traffic from Bangor down to Southwest Harbor is always bad when I come in--granted, I usually am making the drive during the afternoon rush hour. Do you know if that stretch of Hwy. 1 along the coast is similarly congested?

I do the drive to SW Harbor once a year. Another option is to take I-95 to Augusta, then Rt 3 and pick up Rt 1 in Belfast. Rt 1 is more scenic, but a lot slower. Rt 3 saves time (a lot of it is 55mph vs rt 1's 25 in towns).

IIRC, Augusta -> Ellsworth via Rt 3 is about the same time as taking I-95 to Bangor, then 395/1A to Ellsworth.

Plugshare shows a 14-50 just outside of Bucksport, if you need a quick boost.

I do the drive to SW Harbor once a year. Another option is to take I-95 to Augusta, then Rt 3 and pick up Rt 1 in Belfast. Rt 1 is more scenic, but a lot slower. Rt 3 saves time (a lot of it is 55mph vs rt 1's 25 in towns).

IIRC, Augusta -> Ellsworth via Rt 3 is about the same time as taking I-95 to Bangor, then 395/1A to Ellsworth.

Plugshare shows a 14-50 just outside of Bucksport, if you need a quick boost.

Well, Google says 7 minutes faster taking I-95 to Bangor. But that would have been helped by the increase to 70mph.

But, route 3 is a bit more interesting, shorter and would be more efficient than more I-95.

I'd come up I-95 to Portland and then Brunswick, but then turn off onto Hwy. 1 and skirt along the coast (sort of) up to Southwest Harbor.

That route should be no problem from Seabrook, with several destination chargers along the way to add some charge if needed.

Charging on Mt. Desert should not be a problem - check Plugshare. There must be some hotels or other places (like campgrounds) that have charging or 14-50 outlets. Maybe contact the place where the conference is being held, or the conference organizers?

Until there is at least one mid-state SC, Bar Harbor is not reachable without a boost. The slower Rt1 up the coast is a range extender and you might be in time for the amazing croissoints in Searsport. Scenic routes north from Rt 1 at Wiscasset (218), Newcastle (215/213), Waldoboro (235) to rt 17 and then north again to rt 3 are worth exploring in good weather and bypass the Camden bottleneck if your destination is farther down east. Stop at The DeLorme Map Store in Yarmouth (or most gas stations or LL Bean’s) and pick up a Gazetteer first since digital maps and cell service are not reliable here.

I have a 14-50 between Belfast and Bucksport on PlugShare and will probably upgrade to a wall charger depending on the MX details and interest (so far only 2 Tesla’s charged since reserving the X and that has been a while).

That route should be no problem from Seabrook, with several destination chargers along the way to add some charge if needed.

Charging on Mt. Desert should not be a problem - check Plugshare. There must be some hotels or other places (like campgrounds) that have charging or 14-50 outlets. Maybe contact the place where the conference is being held, or the conference organizers?

How prescient of you! That's exactly my plan/agenda for this year: Get the hotel (we're at the same one every year) to install at least a 14-50, or better yet, to apply to Tesla's Destination Charging program and get one or two HPWCs hopefully with 100 amp service. You are correct that even getting from Seabrook is easily do-able. Google Maps says it's 227 miles from Seabrook. Plus, there are CHAdeMO chargers in Portland. Plus, there are three (so far) HPWCs along Hwy. 1 north of Portland. The charging part is getting too easy; now what I need is a way to finagle the extra time for driving out to Maine instead of flying. :)

Any new movement on superchargers in Maine?

Seems like this is getting silly. Maine is, so it says on the license plates, Vacationland! Doesn't that mean it is ideally suited to superchargers along the highways and byways?
No news, unfortunately. I can confirm that there's been no movement at all on the central Portland site, but I can't find any evidence for permitting at an alternative site in Portland or South Portland (which has the Maine Mall at the intersection of I-295 and I-95, an obvious alternative).
:cursing:

No news, unfortunately. I can confirm that there's been no movement at all on the central Portland site, but I can't find any evidence for permitting at an alternative site in Portland or South Portland (which has the Maine Mall at the intersection of I-295 and I-95, an obvious alternative).

This is on TM, not the state of Maine, I am told. 'Maine is open for business'.

I'm still mad at them for dropping the Fore St garage. When we go to Maine (at least once a year) the last place we'd want to spend 40 min is the Maine Mall. I realize they haven't announced plans for that yet, but based on their behavior elsewhere...

After reading about the new Tesla store coming to Boston, I checked again on a potential Supercharger location that I saw last week on Tesla's website. On their 2016 map, a Supercharger site pops up just slightly northeast of Dedham (it's definitely not Seabrook). I suppose this could be in Boston, but seems unlikely to be at the urban Prudential Center, new Tesla store address. Curious to know if anyone has any information? Even wild speculation is okay!

After reading about the new Tesla store coming to Boston, I checked again on a potential Supercharger location that I saw last week on Tesla's website. On their 2016 map, a Supercharger site pops up just slightly northeast of Dedham (it's definitely not Seabrook). I suppose this could be in Boston, but seems unlikely to be at the urban Prudential Center, new Tesla store address. Curious to know if anyone has any information? Even wild speculation is okay!

New store in Boston, that's news to me!

Not debatng the Natick-snob title but check this out: New Tesla store coming soon to Boston
It would be great if Tesla installed charging at the new store in the Shops at the Prudential Center. There's extensive parking at the Pru so carving out a few spaces for HPWCs or even a couple of SuperChargers would be very helpful to visitors. I usually park at the garage at 100 Clarendon St, which has many free ChargePoint stations, but at 30A these points aren't always fast enough for my needs.

Okay, maybe it's time for new prescription glasses, but can someone else try this? On Tesla's Supercharger location map, click between 2015 and 2016. A new site appears for 2016, mostly hidden behind and to the northeast of Dedham. Although Tesla likes to use those red upside down teardrop symbols, only a new crescent shape should be visible. :)

Just noticed a store listed for Greenwich, CT as "coming soon" on the Tesla map. Driving directions indicate 46-50 W Elm, Greenwich, CT 06860. Tesla still cannot sell in CT. Anyone have any info on this location...perhaps they are planning in advance?