Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New New England Supercharger Locations

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Well my contact said that the person who regularly deals with PEV policy is on leave right now. I'm not sure when they'll be back. He mentioned an organization call GrowSmart Maine that might be interested in this issue. They're focused on sustainable development. But they seem to be quite a small organization and probably wouldn't be able to help with smoothing things for Tesla.

Anyway, I'll at least email them and mention the issue of zoning of chargers.

Thanks. I think there are several routes underway, including yours, that will get Maine superchargers up and running before ski season (snow not water!)

They really should have put it at the mainland entrance of the Cape Cod Canal Tunnel so we could avoid the bridge traffic after charging. I think Massachusetts will give owners of EV's free tunnel passes if they apply.

Great idea, why didn't I think of that. EZpass doesn't work yet but it isn't difficult to get a tunnel pass.

cape code tunnel.PNG

Still nothing on the City of Portsmouth NH website for Superchargers....It appears the month of August is now gone, maybe September.

City of Portsmouth - Planning Department - Current Land Use Applications
Tesla announced Sturbridge in June, 2013 http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...uid-connell/UZQs9q5naDoayJgEqTW7PI/story.html

Now, one year later, it is Auburn. But NO sign of anything happening. This is something that they do very badly (predicting, announcing, and timely completion of superchargers.

NHDOT: . . . They are researching specific technologies and are aware that Tesla requires specific chargers for their vehicles and have reached out to this group to ensure that the proper technology is procured” . . .

J1772 but with high (70 or 80 amps) is all Teslas need. What are NHDOT going on about?
--

Tesla announced Sturbridge in June, 2013 http://www.bostonglobe.com/business...uid-connell/UZQs9q5naDoayJgEqTW7PI/story.html

Now, one year later, it is Auburn. But NO sign of anything happening. This is something that they do very badly (predicting, announcing, and timely completion of superchargers.

While there's been no construction yet, the Auburn Planning Committee has approved the Superchargers. The Conservation Commission has it on its plate now. I agree that it's premature to have auburn as a Coming Soon dot, but it's unfair to say the nothing has happened.

NHDOT: . . . They are researching specific technologies and are aware that Tesla requires specific chargers for their vehicles and have reached out to this group to ensure that the proper technology is procured” . . .

J1772 but with high (70 or 80 amps) is all Teslas need. What are NHDOT going on about?
--

I think the question is whether we'll get Superchargers at Hookset or merely Level 2 charging. There's a huge difference in usefulness to me and many others. During ski season it's not unusual for people to drive to the slopes early, and they're not going to be happy about cooling their heels for three hours charging instead of skiing.

While there's been no construction yet, the Auburn Planning Committee has approved the Superchargers. The Conservation Commission has it on its plate now. I agree that it's premature to have auburn as a Coming Soon dot, but it's unfair to say the nothing has happened.
Yes, I stand corrected.

- - - Updated - - -

I think the question is whether we'll get Superchargers at Hookset or merely Level 2 charging. There's a huge difference in usefulness to me and many others. During ski season it's not unusual for people to drive to the slopes early, and they're not going to be happy about cooling their heels for three hours charging instead of skiing.
Level 2 would be completely useless.

There isn't even a red dot indicating that Tesla plans to install ANYTHING in the area of junction of 93/89 (aka Hooksett). If it's not a SC, I am sure it'll just be level 2 chargers which - as mentioned - are useless to Tesla owners. I've made some noise about this on teslamotors.com forum. it's a glaring gap in planning.

Level 2 at a rest area doesn't sound particularly useful. Maybe we should push for CHAdeMO -- something that can be used by everyone. There are already a couple along I-89 in VT. I know it costs extra for us Tesla drivers to buy the adapter, but they have the potential to build a real corridor there. We did all buy our cars to help usher in the Electric age, right?

Level 2 at a rest area doesn't sound particularly useful. Maybe we should push for CHAdeMO -- something that can be used by everyone. There are already a couple along I-89 in VT. I know it costs extra for us Tesla drivers to buy the adapter, but they have the potential to build a real corridor there. We did all buy our cars to help usher in the Electric age, right?

CHAdeMo -- "...something that can be used by everyone." I'm sorry but that is dead wrong. I'm a Tesla owner and have been for 3.5 years. My wife also drives an EV. Neither one of us can use CHAdeMo whether we have an adapter or not. I doubt if a majority of EV owners can use CHAdeMo, much less "everyone." While I agree that level 2 charging, even at 80A is not very useful for a ski trip (except at the destination, but we're talking about a rest area), I'm not convinced CHAdeMo would help more people than 80A level 2 at 240v. You can install about 10 J1772 80A for the price of one CHAdeMo and the total kW will be a lot more with the HPWCs.

WRT CHAdeMo at highway rest areas - Do Leaf owners actually do 100-200 mile road trips? I'd think the lack of chargers, time spent charging vs time driving and frequent stops would make such a trip pretty onerous.

Having a CHAdeMo at Hookset would be pretty useless for Leafs I'd think since there isn't really anywhere they could go from there and would be pretty annoying for Teslas since the charge rate is so slow.