Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Octopus Go tariff and off peak options?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I agree with your theory, but there's an easy solution: a well-run company puts systems in place, and fires the engineers that don't do what they're told. The customer is the *only* reason the company exists and the *only* reason it is employing those engineers, so dear engineer, have some common sense and put the customer in first place. Employees that treat the customer as an annoyance are just harming their employer and ultimately themselves.
True but I am not the "customer" I am the "job" and I am probably enough degrees of separation from him getting paid for him not to care. Octopus are the customer so I guess only if I complain to them will there be any likelihood of an improved service for others in future

Mine all went rather smoothly. Joined octopus, about 2 weeks later meter installed then about 3 weeks after that I was on Go. 2 weeks into that I was invited into the "faster" preview so now I have 5 hours cheap per night.

It wasn't super speedy but all in all about the right speed that I was expecting TBH.

I'm also considering Octopus (or EDF's GoElectric tariff). I'm currently with NPower and had already requested a smart meter (before thoughts of EVs came along) but they still seem unable to provide one after several months. I wonder if it's the same problem as all the others including Octopus - ie the big 6 aren't necessarily any better?

I'm also considering Octopus (or EDF's GoElectric tariff). I'm currently with NPower and had already requested a smart meter (before thoughts of EVs came along) but they still seem unable to provide one after several months. I wonder if it's the same problem as all the others including Octopus - ie the big 6 aren't necessarily any better?

There is only one way to find out. That’s to take the plunge and switch to Octopus.

I’ve shamelessly sent you a DM with a referral ;)

• Funny
Reactions: Smiddy
My meter was installed today.
I had a phone call last week asking me to confirm and an email asking the same thing. This may be specific to the installer in my region since both were from installer not Octopus directly but I would be a bit concerned if you have heard nothing. Maybe you should bother Octopus. Better to be safe than sorry.

So took your advice and contacted Octopus on the 3rd December to triple check all was OK - got a swift reply saying they had spoken with SMS Engineering and the appointment is confirmed for 8th December.

With it being appointment day today, I thought I'd contact SMS directly to get a better indication of time and more importantly make sure it was happening. I'm not sure why but I wasn't surprised when I was told the appointment wasn't happening, what did surprise me is being told it had been cancelled..! Now waiting on a call/email back from Octopus :(

I've looked into this but it appears although the off-peak rate is around 8p less than my standard tariff, the peak rate and standard charges are both considerably more so not entirely sure if there is merit in this for me.

I've looked into this but it appears although the off-peak rate is around 8p less than my standard tariff, the peak rate and standard charges are both considerably more so not entirely sure if there is merit in this for me.

The off peak rate is 5p per kWh. That means your standard tariff is 13p per kWh. But the standard/peak rate on Go is around 14.2p per kWh, I believe, so I’m not sure how that is “considerably more” than your standard rate ?

Yes sorry, the couple I had looked at were offering 20p for the peak tariff. I hadn't looked any further. May have a look now
For charging your EV Octopus GO is the one you want. That gives you 13p peak and 5p off peak. Off peak is only four hours, 0030-0430, and you must have a smart meter to use it, which Octopus can arrange if you haven’t already got one.

The four hour off peak window is enough to add about 100 miles of range with a 32A 7kW charger.

Looks like the octopusgo tariff would be a good step from my current 'Energy Plus Protection Green Sept 2020v2' deal with British Gas. Looks like my SMETS1 isn't compatible though so they will need to change it.

Looking through this thread it seems a referral code will soften the blow of my exit fees by £50? Any help with a code, or even a brighter spark than me advising against this switch would be much appreciated!

Looks like the octopusgo tariff would be a good step from my current 'Energy Plus Protection Green Sept 2020v2' deal with British Gas. Looks like my SMETS1 isn't compatible though so they will need to change it.

Looking through this thread it seems a referral code will soften the blow of my exit fees by £50? Any help with a code, or even a brighter spark than me advising against this switch would be much appreciated!

Hi Jonnnoy,

Check your DMs. I've sent you a referal ;)

So I'm looking at switching to Octopus as soon as I can get a smart meter installed. I'm with Scottish Power at the moment (will have to end the contract early, but it's only £30 to do that). Would I be better asking Scottish Power to install the smart meter before switching to Octopus?

So I'm looking at switching to Octopus as soon as I can get a smart meter installed. I'm with Scottish Power at the moment (will have to end the contract early, but it's only £30 to do that). Would I be better asking Scottish Power to install the smart meter before switching to Octopus?
You could ask SP how quickly they will fit your smart meters. As long as they’re SMETS2 they will work fine with Octopus. If SP can’t give you any idea, then I’d move and then pester Octopus for your new meters.

I’ve taken the liberty of sending you a referral code for Octopus too.