Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Ontario Chargers

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Is the price fully variable or is it fixed plus variable - as in $5 plus $0.20/minute.

Yes, that's the rate indicated in PlugShare: 4.95$ + 12$/h.

But to me, the 20 kW instead of the 50 kW displayed is clearly a misrepresentation. And it's scary because it probably means that the system was wired like that to save money, and actually delivering the 50 kW would require much more investment, with a separate electric installation in the parking instead of being wired to the panel of the building as they apparently did. (And they appatently did that at several other locations.) I'm considering filling a complaint with Consumer Protection Ontario. If many of us do so, KSI would have to display 20 kW but then that would probably not respect their contract with the MTO, so something should happen.

Last edited:
As I hear, KSI never fails to disappoint.
I quote @SmartElectric for this

KSI doesn't answer to phone calls, or emails, so I doubt you'll get anywhere.

My bet, KSI is deploying stations with exorbitant prices with the hope they are never used, which means the stations might last longer and not need maintenance.

KSI won a deal with Ontario government to deploy half of the fast chargers as part of the program, but their deployments are the highest priced chargers and are unlikely to be used due to poor phone app, poor pricing, poor power (lower kW) and poor service!

Someone said that 22kW is the avg. charging speed for KSI and it is, but some go up to 30-40kW (rarely). Sadly some areas are reserved for KSI like: the Ottawa-Sudbury route: here some photographic results that prove disappointing things

Attachments

• IMG_2256.PNG
    IMG_2256.PNG
    609.2 KB · Views: 86
  • IMG_2257.PNG
    IMG_2257.PNG
    378.9 KB · Views: 57
  • IMG_2258.jpg
    IMG_2258.jpg
    89.9 KB · Views: 48
  • IMG_2260.jpg
    IMG_2260.jpg
    159.3 KB · Views: 58
  • Informative
Reactions: Falkirk
There definitely seems to be a disparity betweeen KSI stations in Toronto vs elsewhere in the province. It’s entirely likely these buildings don’t have sufficient capacity to do the full 50kW but there’s no need to charge such high fees.

Well maybe there is... derated output = nobody uses your station. Nobody uses your station = more O&M costs to spread over its usage.

@Doug_G , may I suggest that this thread be merged with the New Ontario Chargers thread so our complains about KSI are centralized!

@Mr. PlugShare or someone else, do you know if the charger and screen still indicate 50A (at least the one in Deep River)? This is important for me to know because as indicated in this post:
... I'm considering filling a complaint with Consumer Protection Ontario. If many of us do so, KSI would have to display 20 kW but then that would probably not respect their contract with the MTO, so something should happen.
I started the process of filling a complaint with Consumer Protection Ontario. First step was to send KSI a letter (attached) where I explain that I consider them displaying 50 kW is misrepresentation, and that I do not seek reimbursement but rather that they indicate the actual power limit. (As mentioned in my quote above, my strategy is that if they do write the actual limit on the chargers to avoid doing misrepresentation, then they surely do not respect their contract with the MTO, and something should happen.) My letter was accompanied by a Complaint Notice from the Consumer Protection Ontario website (also attached). I gave them one month to reply (until Oct. 20th) but obviously, they didn't after 5 weeks, so I'm ready for next step, which is to fill a formal complaint with Consumer Protection Ontario.

But before doing that, I need to know if the chargers still display 50kW on the charger and on the screen. Can someone confirm? As I based my complaint on the Deep River charger, which is the one I used, it would be better if I knew if that specific charger still quotes a limit of 50kW.

Edit: I see on Plugshare that the Deep River charger has been "de-rated" to 30 kW, but I'm wondering it is actually indicated on the charger, and if the charger actually delivers 30 kW, or if it is a stretch KSI are trying to make, indicating 30 kW which is less far from 50 kW (in order to try to avoid troubles with the MTO), while it is still 20 kW as I experienced.

And I made a few touch ups to the text above.

KSI_50kW_text.png

Attachments

• cpo_0008-17_cpo_notices_consumer_protection.pdf
    49.3 KB · Views: 78
Last edited:
Do you really think KSI cares about your feelings? KSI- the name says it : Keep Screwing Individuals. They probably don't care if it says 30 or 50 kW. All they want right now is money$

The document from Consumer Protection Ontario I attached indicates fines of up to 50 k$ and prison for individuals and 250 k$ for the company. And the point is that Consumer Protection Ontario (like the police in general) can't do anything unless they have documented cases on which to base themselves. So if KSI's reaction is to indicate the actual power on their chargers, then the MTO has another way to sue KSI for not respecting their contract. And hopefully, they will do.

So it's not about my feelings, and it's indeed about the money.

I started the process of filling a complaint with Consumer Protection Ontario. ... but obviously, they [KSI] didn't [reply] after 5 weeks, so I'm ready for next step, which is to fill a formal complaint with Consumer Protection Ontario.
But before doing that, I need to know if the chargers still display 50kW on the charger and on the screen. Can someone confirm?

Before writing to Consumer Protection Ontario, I'm still trying to figure out if KSI did anything. Several comments on PlugShare regarding the KSI chargers along Route 17 indicate that the chargers were "de-rated to 30 kW", but I'm not sure what that means (and users only get 20-22 kW anyway). Does the screen now indicate that the maximum power is 30 kW? A picture of the KSI charger in North Bay seems to show that they still indicate 50 kW on the handle (see cropped version attached), but I don't know when that picture was taken and I would like a confirmation before sending my letter. And I won't return over there before a couple of months.

PhotoPlugShareChargeurNorthBay-crop.png