Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Petition to White House Requesting Direct Tesla Sales in All States

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Petition reads as special pleading to a particular company with stated bases of business practices that currently may exist but have not necessarily been promised forever and a day by said company. In short, not the way to win relief in these United States.

Communicate directly to your elected representatives, best by pen to paper.
--

The Tesla Twitter account just tweeted about the petition. Looks like it's picked up the signature rate quite a bit today, but still seems unlikely to hit 100k in time without a serious viral kick in the pants.

Signed and shared on (ugh) Facebook.

Kind of annoying that there doesn't appear to be a way to add commentary to the petition when signing? Wish I could have put this verbiage there instead of on FB...

Me wailing and gnashing my teeth to the unresponsive void said:
If the existing and proposed laws are intended to protect dealers from manufacturers selling direct to a consumer in their state, how is it a threat if there are no dealers selling the car?

The threat to non-existent competitors is utter BS dreamed up by the various state level dealers associations, and likely with backing at the national level.

Please add your name to the list of concerned citizens against this blatant attempt by the entrenched, well-funded lobbyist arm of the automotive dealers associations from crippling Tesla's ability to market their innovative product.

Why send a petition about law changes to the executive branch and not the legislative? :confused:

The problem is the legislative branch and who their contributors are. Maybe an executive order can be issued, which of course will be challenged, but then NADA and their cronies will be national news.. Lets see how they do under the "news cycle" microscope :)

Edit: I've signed it, seems to be getting about 100 signatures/hour during the business day.
I've also posted the petition on the Tesla Model S thread over on PriusChat, asking for signatures as well.

Last edited:
Why send a petition about law changes to the executive branch and not the legislative? :confused:

Of course you should write your representative and senators. However, the president has a "bully pulpit" and can lobby Congress to enact laws. In fact, he is required by the Constitution to do so. Letters to members of Congress are written individually by constituents. But the White House website as arranged a means for citizens to collectively sign petitions. If the number of signatures is sufficiently large and obtains the interest of the president, he will show the results to Congress when he presents his arguments.

Any way to sign the petition without having to create an account?

No, but creating an account isn't difficult. Requirements are an e-mail addy, first name, last name, zip code and answering a 'skill testing question'. You receive an e-mail confirmation and link back to then 'sign'. Took all of a minute to do. You then have an account for any and all future petitions you may want to sign. I know that last because I already had an account created from a previous petition. Easy, peasy and they already know more about *us* than the information they asked for.

There are over 7000 members in this forum. Obviously not all of them are US residents; not all of them are active. Is there a way for mods or admin to contact them about this petition?

There are people who are reluctant to sign things for fear of "getting on a list". Because of my job, I'm already on lots of those lists, so it doesn't worry me, so I signed and wrote to our internal ev-drivers mailing list. One Tesla owner apologized to me for not signing, for that reason. Others are perhaps uninterested in what happens in other states or countries. Anyway, I would prefer that TMC not send spam to me about stuff like signing a petition, even though I agree with it. I was very reluctant to even write about it on our mailing list, worried that it was too much like spam.

Well, it's at 11,268 signatures, needs 88,732 more, so it's not looking promising unless the pace increases a lot.
Though I was around #7,500 yesterday... So that's about 4,000 in a day. The issue is we only have 10 days left, will reach about 50K if the rate for doesn't increase or slows down.