Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New, Plaid, Model S

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

ICUDoc

May 19, 2015
Sydney NSW
So they have announced the Plaid Model S: 830km range. That’s enough for me.
Not available to order on the Au site yet- towards the end of next year is perfect for me, so I’m just waiting for the button to appear before I click.
Sub-2 second 0-60mph time is also nuts, but the extreme range makes it very attractive to me.
The new battery stuff (larger, structurally-integrates cells) is more important, but I want the fun bit :)

Reactions: Nickdp and Tam
Available end of 2021. But that's before the new battery is available. So, does that mean a 30+% gain in range on Plaid if simply wait until new battery is used in it? 520 miles X 30+% increase = WOW WEE !!!

Last edited:
I think Plaid MS will be the first use of the new cell. Lower volume than CT. I am pleasantly surprised at the range bump as well. And spec'ing a sub 2 0-60 puts pressure on the Roadster. Lucid and Porsche are now on notice.

The nose of the Plaid is different from current, do you think?
Glad it doesn't have the Gurney flap.
Looks fairly similiar to current design, but would have thought by end of 2021 there will be a new shape and a new interior. The range is a big deal though. Really destroys these silly arguements that ev’s can’t travel far and therefore arent suitable in Australia. Obviously its too expensive for the mass petrol guzzling market, but I’m sure a model 3 with that sort of range and less acceleration will be next.

Hopefully within the next 4 years the higher capacity battery packs will have made their way into the 3s and the Ys. I’m content with my car’s acceleration, but more range will really change things and make them hugely appealing.

Wow - the luxury car tax on this is enough to outright buy their yet to be released $25K USD car.

The luxury car tax is a joke and needs to go.

To increase EV adoption, I think the cost of the battery should be exempt from the luxury car tax. That would make 3's and Y's more accessible, and S and X a little more competitive against their ICE equivalants. Having a battery as your "fuel" strorage device is not a luxury item, but you could argure the rest of the Tesla vehicles features are above average ;-)

:p:p
The same threshold applies to a diesel as long as it gets under 7L/100

A large sedan in V6 diesel guise like a BMW 5 series, Audi A6 gets the same treatment as a pure EV.

Crazy but true.

Not to mention if you have a “commercial vehicle” (I.e luxury Ute) there is no LCT or FBT no matter how luxurious or polluting it is.

LCT and FBT should be abolished and a simple road usage tax created that is a function of how fuel efficient your car is and how much you drive.

7L/100KM x 15,000 KM = $10,500 yearly tax for example.

If your car is less than say 1L/100KM you only pay a function of much you drive so the same 15,000KM would be $150 yearly tax (only half joking)

Last edited: