Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Powerwall Advanced Options [Toggles for charging from and discharging to grid from powerwalls]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
They claim that I'm allowed to export to the grid for the Virtual Power Plant that I'm enrolled in but wouldn't be allowed for the export everything option. Which makes no sense. They say its a PG&E restriction.
PG&E wants to control when they get power from alternative sources. My understanding is with VPP they can choose to use your power or not use it.

The NGOM (or the exception of an NGOM) removes all value from the 'Export Everything' setting.
What I don't understand is why the NGOM is used to enforce an export limit on a billing interval (15 minutes or 1 hour) basis, rather than on a billing period (1 month) basis. Changing that to a billing period basis seems more in line with the CPUC's guidance.

Likewise, why not allow installation of the ESS behind the NGOM with the PV? That would ensure that the ESS is not grid-charged, and would allow ESS exports at any time.

Cheers, Wayne

PG&E wants to control when they get power from alternative sources. My understanding is with VPP they can choose to use your power or not use it.

Unfortunately if they don't scratch my back I'll just stop scratching their back. I have no need to keep the VPP active, happy to stay behind the meter and pay them their minimum fees!

It might not be worth thinking about this too much. The PG&E VPP was a pilot program that has concluded. I haven’t seen yet whether this will become a regular “thing” or what the details would be. (Admittedly I haven’t looked for this information.)

Bruce.

It might not be worth thinking about this too much. The PG&E VPP was a pilot program that has concluded. I haven’t seen yet whether this will become a regular “thing” or what the details would be. (Admittedly I haven’t looked for this information.)

Bruce.
I don't have definite confirmation but have been told that funding has been increased and program period has been extended :)

• Informative
Reactions: bmah
I don't have definite confirmation but have been told that funding has been increased and program period has been extended :)

I like it. I have always said that if the VPP guarantees me $1/kWh for what I export during an event, I will participate. According to that link, residential accounts have been included for 2022 and the compensation to program participants has been increased to $2/kWh. That means that even if Tesla keeps half, I will still participate.

I would love to hear any possible reasons why Tesla won't make this available to all Powerwall accounts in IOU territories that are eligible.

I like it. I have always said that if the VPP guarantees me $1/kWh for what I export during an event, I will participate. According to that link, residential accounts have been included for 2022 and the compensation to program participants has been increased to $2/kWh. That means that even if Tesla keeps half, I will still participate.

I would love to hear any possible reasons why Tesla won't make this available to all Powerwall accounts in IOU territories that are eligible.
How much have folks made? I assume this happens when storm watch goes on? Or what triggers it?

How much have folks made? I assume this happens when storm watch goes on? Or what triggers it?
This is what I'm interested in. I can only do one load reduction program at a time and currently use Ohmconnect. I wish there was more info on VPP (number of events per season, etc) so I can evaluate. Currently staying with Ohmconnect but it has become less profitable with Powerwalls.

Reactions: h2ofun
What I don't understand is why the NGOM is used to enforce an export limit on a billing interval (15 minutes or 1 hour) basis, rather than on a billing period (1 month) basis. Changing that to a billing period basis seems more in line with the CPUC's guidance.

Likewise, why not allow installation of the ESS behind the NGOM with the PV? That would ensure that the ESS is not grid-charged, and would allow ESS exports at any time.

Cheers, Wayne
this is possible, there is another 'export-only' control mode under UL1741 PCS. This means that Powerwall will not charge from grid, but can export to grid. Powerwall (more specifically Gateway 2) is not certified for this mode.

this is possible, there is another 'export-only' control mode under UL1741 PCS. This means that Powerwall will not charge from grid, but can export to grid. Powerwall (more specifically Gateway 2) is not certified for this mode.
Right, I understand there is the possibility of doing that with certified software that the user can't reconfigure.

But I was asking about configurations with NGOM, why the NGOM is only used to enforce the strict per billing interval (15 or 60 minute) limit, rather than one of the more relaxed limits that would allow production time shifting without allowing grid charging. Grid charging and reexport would still be detectable via the NGOM and disallowed.

I read through the NEM2 tariff, including the part on NEM-PS, and one of the options in (9)(c)(2)(iii) for large (>10 kW ESS inverter size) AC-coupled PV+ESS systems is "install an interval meter for the NEM-eligible generation, meter the load, and meter total energy flows at the point of common coupling." However, the exact meaning of that text, in terms of the connection topology and location of NGOM(s), is not clear to me, and I can't find any further info on PG&E website discussing the question.

Cheers, Wayne

People reported getting $50-$75 payments from the Tesla VPP for the 2021 season. If you read the link posted above, you can see the conditions for triggering these ELRP events. They are generally at the times of CAISO Flex Alerts and will only be during the Peak hours of 4-9pm. Minimum duration 1 hour, maximum 5 hours.

People reported getting $50-$75 payments from the Tesla VPP for the 2021 season. If you read the link posted above, you can see the conditions for triggering these ELRP events. They are generally at the times of CAISO Flex Alerts and will only be during the Peak hours of 4-9pm. Minimum duration 1 hour, maximum 5 hours.
At face value, if its only 75 for the entire year, may not be worth the extra hassles?

At face value, if its only 75 for the entire year, may not be worth the extra hassles?
You have to decide how much money you need and how much hassle it is. I think $75 for throwing a toggle in an app is a pretty good payoff. To me, the bigger consideration is whether I needed that battery energy for other things. You can adjust your Reserve prior to the event starting or even in the middle of the event to control the discharge and save the energy for yourself.

The total payout is more a function of how many events there are and how stressed the grid is during that particular year. It will also be interesting to compare the number of events in 2022 to prior years, now that the Elkhorn Megapack battery is online.

Maybe it’s not new, but I haven’t seen it until today. When I clicked to enable, it warned me to consult tax professional and installer but I assume plenty of users wouldn’t bother. I’m surprised this is even an option in settings.

Attachments

• 74AD0D15-E06A-47D8-9C53-4AFFE7A5B4A1.jpeg
    74AD0D15-E06A-47D8-9C53-4AFFE7A5B4A1.jpeg
    204.8 KB · Views: 232
In case anyone needs it, here is how to change the settings via the API.

https://owner-api.teslamotors.com/api/1/energy_sites/{}/grid_import_export
Payload options:
"customer_preferred_export_rule": "battery_ok"
"customer_preferred_export_rule": "pv_only"
"disallow_charge_from_grid_with_solar_installed": false
"disallow_charge_from_grid_with_solar_installed": true

Do you mean "change whether the options appear in the app," or rather if the options do appear in the app already due to whatever hidden backend configuration Tesla has made, change the settings as if you had changed them in the app?

Cheers, Wayne
Oh I imagine they will only work if it shows up in the app, but I don't have a way of trying it out since it is enabled for me.