Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My bet is that this first version is going to flop so bad with cancelations that tesla's going to be forced to reinvent the 2nd row seats again to do something else other than give the front seats a NSFW rise. Then we'll hear complaints all over the forums from the first buyers that want retrofits to the newer cooler seats.

I'm curious.. Would skis fit in that space? Doesn't seem likely... Someone estimated about 55" of usable space (either in this thread or the other one). If I understand correctly, skis for a 6' person are ~6' so ~72 inches... No way the space is >72 inches... I'm sure that's a deal breaker for many people.

I think that's why the accessory hitch is standard. You can carry your skis, bikes and small luggage containers via the accessory hitch since they might not fit inside if you are using the second row seats.

Here's my methodology for estimating rear horizontal space on the Model X. I'm more than willing to see someone else do a competing analysis.

View attachment 94266
You can't count the plastic trim at the back, and you're measuring a diagonal. It will be more like this:

plass1.png

124 cm = 48.8" (The tire reference probably got a bit long. I think 50-55" is closer.)

Tesla needs to just reveal the car, or announce an imminent reveal date. The concept of asking people to speculate on a $100k car purchase is just ridiculous. Place a hold on any new configurations unless you are going to reveal all the specs to that buyer. I'm a production, not a sig holder, but if I gave them 40k for 3 years and was being treated like this I would be very upset and would likely ask to move out of the Sig cue in order to understand what I was buying. Everyone wants to be happy with this car, evidenced by the years of patience, Tesla is being ridiculous not communicating basic aspects of the car and asking people to finalize orders.

Sure. If the available space is less than 60", you pay 50 USD to a charity of my choice, if the available space is more than 60", I pay 50 USD to a charity of your choice. Deal?

The bet is off if Tesla pulls a rabbit out of a hat.

Done. Measured from back of second row seat back, on the floor (meaning across the backs of the third row seat backs) to the inside lip of the hatchback measured with the hatchback closed. So that there isn't a disagreement if it's close, 59" or less for you to win, 61" and greater for me to win. No winner for distances from 59" to 61".

Ummm, what CUV or SUV allows the second row to fold flat and put kids in it. I think in the 4 human configuration the storage is pretty comparable here with other models, is it not?
There are quite a few pictures here and elsewhere. The space with 2nd row unusable in the Model X looks about the same as the space with second row up in many of the larger CUVs.
So yes, with 2nd row down all SUVs/CUVs are two seaters. But then they have HUGE amounts of space - which Model X doesn't have, even when turned into a two seater.
And as a five seater, the amount of space in the Model X seems significantly less than in other large SUVs.
Look - this is simple. If you had the cool-aid and are part of the people to whom Tesla can do no wrong, ignore my posts.
If you want to talk about sizes and compare apples to apples, then let's do that.

Tesla needs to just reveal the car, or announce an imminent reveal date. The concept of asking people to speculate on a $100k car purchase is just ridiculous. Place a hold on any new configurations unless you are going to reveal all the specs to that buyer. I'm a production, not a sig holder, but if I gave them 40k for 3 years and was being treated like this I would be very upset and would likely ask to move out of the Sig cue in order to understand what I was buying. Everyone wants to be happy with this car, evidenced by the years of patience, Tesla is being ridiculous not communicating basic aspects of the car and asking people to finalize orders.

There are some very dedicated Tesla Fan boys/girls that are willing to buy the Model-X without knowing the details, test-driving it or even seeing it. As long as Tesla has enough of these fans, they'll be okay. I'm not one of them, but I hope there are a lot of them out there, because I own TSLA stock and want to see it do well.

I suspect that in 2 weeks, everyone else will have enough information to make a decision one way or another.

Nor has anyone been forced to buy this vehicle........ I think if you are convinced that it is gimmicky from the start why do you not just get something else....... It's beyond me how so many of us here on the forums complain about things that are personal needs and /or tastes. If you don't like it, don't buy it.
So you are saying "fanboy only zone"?
There are lots of people who have reservations (so they have given Tesla an interest loan over several years) based on certain statements made by Tesla. And some of us are voicing our concerns here. If you don't like this, go read a different forum. Oh wait, that was your logic. I bet if I use the same logic I'm doing something bad...
(snippiness, here I come)

So you are saying "fanboy only zone"?
There are lots of people who have reservations (so they have given Tesla an interest loan over several years) based on certain statements made by Tesla. And some of us are voicing our concerns here. If you don't like this, go read a different forum. Oh wait, that was your logic. I bet if I use the same logic I'm doing something bad...
(snippiness, here I come)

Oh I'm not a fan boy. I like the two TESLAs I have but if this one does not suit me then I just won't buy it. There are plenty of other brands that will do the trick, albeit not BEVs but I will have to wait a few more years for that then...... Anyway I have been lucky. The dollar has rissen so much since I deposited my cash with TESLA so I certainly have gotten interest on my loan. :)

It looks like people predicting that it will just slide forward were correct. That's better than nothing I suppose. The Model S appears to have a cargo area that is 72" long with seats folded. It'll be interesting to see how the Model X fares in comparison.

As for why they don't fold, I agree more with the seat belt theory than it being for the 90 degree seats (although a combination of both could be a factor).

As for why they don't fold, I agree more with the seat belt theory than it being for the 90 degree seats (although a combination of both could be a factor).

Mostly probably that they swing and have ventilation and stuff. There are plenty of seats including the discovery seats that do not have the side seats attached to the body and still have seat-attached seat-belts.

Done. Measured from back of second row seat back, on the floor (meaning across the backs of the third row seat backs) to the inside lip of the hatchback measured with the hatchback closed. So that there isn't a disagreement if it's close, 59" or less for you to win, 61" and greater for me to win. No winner for distances from 59" to 61".
Damn. I think you're right.

The picture with the bike must have the 2nd row not pulled forward, so that you can use all five seats. And then on the second picture, I managed to screw up the calculations the first time around. This is what I now think (the line follows a box, so it should be fairly accurate):

plass2.png

180 cm = 71"

But let's wait until more info is available before settling the bet. (Though you might want to think about a charity. One that I can donate to from Europe.)

- - - Updated - - -

On the up-side. That's good enough that I might not cancel my reservation.

It looks like people predicting that it will just slide forward were correct.
Based on the latest CGI visuals the 2nd row clearly slides forward but to my eye it also appears to drop down, so my speculation is that the leading edge of the second row seats slide slightly under the rear of the first row seats so as to maximize the rear cargo space.
The second row seat belts are self-contained to the second row seats so that third row access is easy, and that meant the second row seat backs could not be hinged to fold flat.

Of course, we will have to make real measurements on a real Model X. Yeah, I'm not sure what they did with that bicycle there, can't tell. It'll be interesting how close any of our analyses are to the real measurements.

Of course, we will have to make real measurements on a real Model X. Yeah, I'm not sure what they did with that bicycle there, can't tell. It'll be interesting how close any of our analyses are to the real measurements.
You will 99.9% surely see a Model X IRL before me. I will accept a picture of a tape measure spanning the cargo area as sufficient proof. ;)

Based on the latest CGI visuals the 2nd row clearly slides forward but to my eye it also appears to drop down, so my speculation is that the leading edge of the second row seats slide slightly under the rear of the first row seats so as to maximize the rear cargo space.
That is a possibility, but hard to tell with the given rendering. I guess we will find out when the actual car is out. I just hope the overall length of the cargo area is at least roughly the same as a Model S (give or take a couple inches). That would mean given the taller height, the cargo area should be larger than a Model S, despite not having folding 2nd row seats. I think that will make it a bit more acceptable.