Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New renderings of storage space and 2nd row seats! (9/15)

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Because of the falcon wing doors the seat belts are be integrated into the seats . They chose not to make them fold for maximum safety. It is that simple. They could make them fold and compromise safety.

In the future I bet they will offer removable second row seats (that may not have integrated cooling).

Last edited:
No chrome trim at the back. Model S Signature had chrome. What appears is extremely practical. I look forward to checking out the vertical space. The access through the side doors will help load cargo. Having the ability to hang some clothes hangers would be a nice touch. Time will tell or maybe another photo will be issued.

Because of the falcon wing doors the seat belts must be integrated into the seats. Because the seat belts must be integrated into the seats the cannot fold. It is that simple.

In the future I bet they will offer removable second row seats (that may not have integrated cooling). That is the best they can do.

Why do the integrated seat belt eliminate the ability to have the seats fold flat? The second row of the Model S already have folding seats and the center seat belt is integrated into the bench.

Those of you saying "if you don't like it, don't buy it" aren't getting the point. We DID like it, now the little information we have is telling us we WON'T like it. Most of us would just like some clarity, and don't need fanboys incessantly telling us that Tesla can do no wrong by initially selling features and then not including those features on the top of the line models.

Back on topic, has anyone received any information that these seats are signature only and the regular seats may still fold down?

If you're going to tow or do ANYTHING you can expect a range hit, but if you can accept that, then why WOULDN'T you?

Especially when the Model S has roof racks.

Because it could potentially be more efficient to store it that way. I specifically said the "CUV EV" because you're already taking a hit in efficiency over a sedan. Why compound that if you don't have to?

kTYCbbj.jpg

Note, I'm assuming this is more efficient than a roof-top box.

Why do the integrated seat belt eliminate the ability to have the seats fold flat? The second row of the Model S already have folding seats and the center seat belt is integrated into the bench.

I've wondered about this excuse as well. I'm pretty sure I've sat in passenger vans where the seatbelt was only attached to the seat and the seats could fold flat.

I'd like to calmly ask that folks stop dismissing the concerns of others by simply telling them to go buy something else. If it's not a concern to you, that's fine, but don't immediately think it's not a concern to others who actually have skin (money) in the game.

If you tire of the discussion, simply stop reading the thread(s). Problem solved.

There is nothing wrong for people to discuss what they need but those who say why Tesla is so stupid to design a car that does not meet 100% of MY requirement is just silly. You are not the only one that Tesla need to or should sell a car to. Not to mention no one knows exactly how the car is anyway.

Yeah let's calm down and wait for the revealing then everyone can make his/her own decision. You can even abuse Tesla if you want to but that will not change anything.

If you're going to tow or do ANYTHING you can expect a range hit, but if you can accept that, then why WOULDN'T you?

Especially when the Model S has roof racks.
I can understand the stress about the non-folding 2nd row seats (since this was not expected from the concept), but from the moment the Model X was unveiled, we already knew standard roof racks would no be an option on the Model X.

So if I understand the two of you correctly, this forum is only for people who are of the same opinion as you and others need to apply?
I suggest unsubscribing from threads that annoy you - many of us have what we consider serious concerns and we'd like to discuss them somewhere.

I think it's the fact that people are complaining about things that may or may not even be a reality. I get it, people have an expectation and when it doesn't look like it is going to be met, they are disappointed - especially after waiting for so long. I don't have a problem with people voicing their displeasure about what they think will be problematic for them; however, some people are going a little overboard with (not necessarily in this thread) and I guess if you are on here enough it gets a little old.

Wow, is that extra maybe 12" when the seats are/aren't folded enough to change from I like the car to I don't like the car. It's also going to have more space on the floor behind the seat. It doesn't seem like there's much wasted space there.

There is say 12" of wasted space in front of the seat vs 12" of wasted space below a folded seat is it even that much different?

I've wondered about this excuse as well. I'm pretty sure I've sat in passenger vans where the seatbelt was only attached to the seat and the seats could fold flat.
There was a directive almost a decade ago pushing for shoulder belts even in the middle seat. I suspect if Tesla made the entire second row lap belt only, they would not get a 5 star crash rating.
http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/statusreport/article/40/2/6

Are there any examples of foldable 2nd row seats that has a shoulder belt for all three seats that are not mounted on the side pillars (but rather on the seat itself)? I know there are plenty of examples of center shoulder belts mounted to seat, but not for the sides.

Here's the deal - Tesla is attempting to cater to the woman demographic with this car. This primarily a hauler of children, teens, etc. There's still going to be plenty room for additional cargo space (in the form of a typical trunk area, and the frunk). If it does need to be used for additional hauling of items, you can move the seat forward and collapse the third row. This gives you access to the entire third row section, plus the second row section from floor to ceiling, instead of seatback to ceiling. Plus a frunk.

This is going to be pretty damn near, or past, the capabilities of current CUVs or SUVs when it comes to internal volume of the vehicle.

In the end, we are all somewhat guessing until the final reveal once the founders start rolling off the line.

There is nothing wrong for people to discuss what they need but those who say why Tesla is so stupid to design a car that does not meet 100% of MY requirement is just silly.

It's not an individual requirement that the seats fold down, it's expected in a SUV because the middle U stands for utility. Yes it is stupid to design a car in a class that doesn't have the basic requirements of that class. If the new roadster handled worst, was slower and cost more than the current S, wouldn't you say that was stupid?

I can understand the stress about the non-folding 2nd row seats (since this was not expected from the concept), but from the moment the Model X was unveiled, we already knew standard roof racks would no be an option on the Model X.

My response was to someone who asked why you would even want to have something on your roof in the first place, not that it was some sudden knowledge that we couldn't.

Here is another thought. Elon said the design is influenced by a women focus group. Perhaps females are more concerned about comfort and versatility of the seats than the ability to haul big furniture? Again there is no perfect car that will make everyone happy. One just need to live with a few small things that are not perfect to him, or, if he can't, go find a better alternative. Or it's the other way around? Live with it unless you can find a better alternative. Whining does you or everybody not one iota good.

I could not find any examples of an SUV with three independent seats in the second row all having integrated belts, but the second row of the new XC90 has three independent seats in the second row and the middle seat has an integrated three point seat belt. I'm sure with a little engineering and necessity the belts for the outer seats could be integrated as well. Also, the seats in the XC90 fold flat

2016-volvo-xc90-rear-interior-seats.jpg

2016-volvo-xc90-t6-interior-all-seats-folded-600-001.jpg

Those of you saying "if you don't like it, don't buy it" aren't getting the point. We DID like it, now the little information we have is telling us we WON'T like it. Most of us would just like some clarity, and don't need fanboys incessantly telling us that Tesla can do no wrong by initially selling features and then not including those features on the top of the line models.

Back on topic, has anyone received any information that these seats are signature only and the regular seats may still fold down?
The conversation I had with the inside sales reps a few days ago was that these are the only seats there are (at least for now). Of course, these Tesla employees frequently learn about new stuff after we do here on the forums (and they admitted as much). But they certainly are not talking about any other seat options to follow for signature or regular production models.

I am still looking forward to the reveal, but admit to being a little disappointed in what we've seen so far, as far as these seats are concerned. The X will be our only car, so I'm more concerned with things like range and overall comfort/ergonomics than I am about a fully flat bed in the back, but I am a little worried that style may have trumped substance in this specific case. We shall see...

Whining does you or everybody not one iota good.

I don't see folks 'whining' (a term which has unnecessary negative connotations IMO) but there are some folks wondering out loud if the car will meet their needs. That's perfectly OK in my book and even if it's frustrating for some others I think we can live with it for now. Renderings and information are trickling out and will answer more and more questions as time goes by.

I could not find any examples of an SUV with three independent seats in the second row all having integrated belts, but the second row of the new XC90 has three independent seats in the second row and the middle seat has an integrated three point seat belt. I'm sure with a little engineering and necessity the belts for the outer seats could be integrated as well. Also, the seats in the XC90 fold flat

Having the middle seat have an integrated shoulder belt is very common, but making it for all three, I think others have speculated would not be simple as the seat will have to handle 3x vs just that center mount one (plus I believe they don't crash test with the center rear passenger seat, but they do with the side rear passenger seat).