Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Roadster Goodies for 2014

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Anyone who likes to push the Roadster in terms of performance (say on the track) should like this battery. For them it's not the range that matters, it's the amount of time they get out of it for racing.

A larger battery will not give any more time on the track. The limiting factor for track time is overheating of the PEM and motor, and a larger battery would quite possibly add more overheating - because the battery will be able to supply more power, which means the PEM and motor will be working harder. And between sessions you want to plug in the car immediately to help cool the battery anyway.

Anyone who likes to push the Roadster in terms of performance would prefer a lighter car, as adding lightness is simply the best way to make a car better across the board, which would make it a better track car by far. And a lighter car would allow for more track time since less weight means less power to push that weight which means less strain on the PEM and motor. Also, lighter cars are more efficient anyway so you would have a natural increase in range just from that.

- - - Updated - - -

You can get ideal miles with the Roadster if you keep your speed in check, as long as it isn't cold. 80 kph will do it (50 mph).

I beat ideal miles on the way to San Diego from Orange County, on the freeway the whole time, on a slightly hilly drive, not holding up traffic (kept it around 65mph mostly), not really drafting (though I took opportunities here and there). I was just easy on the accelerator and never used the brakes (not even regen, usually, as regen is less efficient than using steady power), and I think kept the AC off.

I really don't see how people have trouble hitting ideal miles if they need to.

Last edited:
So the new pack is likely to be about 100kWh? I wonder what a Model III's battery tech would be like in a Roadster? Early to tell I know, but my Roadster battery is still in pretty good shape. If the Model III is out in 2017 that's really not that far away I would like to know if there will be a 120kWh pack just a couple years later.
Think about the recharge times on this. Even at 240v 70A that would be maybe 6 hours? I only have a UMC so that's about 10 hours? Along with such a big pack, a bigger EVSE may be in order!

A larger battery will not give any more time on the track. The limiting factor for track time is overheating of the PEM and motor, and a larger battery would quite possibly add more overheating - because the battery will be able to supply more power, which means the PEM and motor will be working harder. And between sessions you want to plug in the car immediately to help cool the battery anyway.
While I agree with your points about overheating, in the first few years of REFUEL at Laguna Seca the battery capacity was also a problem because there were not enough spigots for everyone to recharge between sessions. I expect that has continued to be the case since the number of cars has increased.

Think about the recharge times on this. Even at 240v 70A that would be maybe 6 hours? I only have a UMC so that's about 10 hours? Along with such a big pack, a bigger EVSE may be in order!
Excellent point. I'm surprised it was not made earlier in this thread. On a road trip where the hotel (or adjacent RV campground) only has 40A charging, you better get the car plugged in upon arrival and walk to dinner!

BTW, since I like to take Roadster road trips, I second Bonnie's comments. It would be really nice to drive from the Bay Area to LA, or even just to Santa Barbara, and not have to worry about the 70A EVSEs in Salinas and Atascadero being occupied by cars that are just sipping.

A Model S -> Roadster adapter might actually become a necessity. I guess that a Roadster refit might entail changing out the chargeport but that makes the customer's existing EVSE obsolete.

I'm starting to believe that the blurry photo of a Tesla employee's Roadster with a Model S charge port may be part of the battery upgrade. It makes sense to align the charge ports so there is one unified connector. Obviously, still wouldn't be able to use the superchargers.

I'm starting to believe that the blurry photo of a Tesla employee's Roadster with a Model S charge port may be part of the battery upgrade. It makes sense to align the charge ports so there is one unified connector. Obviously, still wouldn't be able to use the superchargers.

They could just work with hcsharp and work with his adapters... The Can is awesome, and waiting for his Model S to Roadster adapter.

Yes but I would love to be able to have my future a Roadster use my HPWC.

I suspect there is not actually a battery *replacement* upgrade but instead this announcement is about their patents on using a secondary metal air range extender that will be able to recharge the roadster's native battery pack while driving this extending range to 400+ miles. They have a bunch of patents on this methodology and I think the roadsters are a good "test bed" platform for them to figure out all the real world issues with it. Then their 2nd gen metal air range extenders can be perfected and applied to the model S , X, and III allowing these cars to have 500+ mile range. (Sorry roadster owners, but your gonna beta test this out for the rest of us). That's my theory at least.

I suspect there is not actually a battery *replacement* upgrade but instead this announcement is about their patents on using a secondary metal air range extender that will be able to recharge the roadster's native battery pack while driving this extending range to 400+ miles. They have a bunch of patents on this methodology and I think the roadsters are a good "test bed" platform for them to figure out all the real world issues with it. Then their 2nd gen metal air range extenders can be perfected and applied to the model S , X, and III allowing these cars to have 500+ mile range. (Sorry roadster owners, but your gonna beta test this out for the rest of us). That's my theory at least.

LOL!!! You've seen a Roadster, right? There is NO space for this ... unless I let them take out my AC (no), get rid of the passenger seat (no), or make a passenger hold my bag (no, again), just not going to happen.

Last edited:
Not. Going. To. Happen.

They have lots of patents. Many companies do. Most don't ever come to production. Just because you see a patent doesn't mean you've stumbled upon their next new technical rollout. (And I know you know that.) They're not going to experiment on their most loyal base of customers, not like that. Who do you think would sign up for something like that? What do you know about Roadsters?

Not. Going. To. Happen.

They have lots of patents. Many companies do. Most don't ever come to production. Just because you see a patent doesn't mean you've stumbled upon their next new technical rollout. (And I know you know that.) They're not going to experiment on their most loyal base of customers, not like that. Who do you think would sign up for something like that? What do you know about Roadsters?

well, it was just a thought. I actually don't know a thing about the roadsters. I've seen a few. Never sat in one. Never seen the battery pack of one. I know the battery chemistry is different than the Model S, and that it uses bigger battery cells in slots or something (I forget the terminology used there).

I've read their patents on their metal air range extenders. I think its viable that they may offer this in the future for super range cars. Phinergy and Alcoa already proved their new aluminum air range extender on their Citroen C1 EV extended the range to over 1000 miles so I don't see why Tesla wouldn't be seriously considering something similar.

Why would they go this route when a direct cell swap with the Model S (or the cells planned for the Model 3) can do the same thing with little additional engineering and likelihood of problems?

because it's cheaper, thats why. replacing the entire battery pack with a direct cell swap would be so costly that it would probably cost more than the value of the roadster itself making this new roadster option completely impractical. I can't see people dropping $20k or more just to take their roadster from 240 miles to 400. that extra 160 miles range isn't worth $20k. $10k maybe. But you aren't going to get even 50kW of the latest and greatest batteries for $10k. You've got a good 5 years at least for prices to drop that much.

then again, there are many people on here dropping $2k every other week for new 21" rims and tires every time they hit a pothole so maybe a $20k upgrade on their roadster is pocket change for them too.

well, it was just a thought. I actually don't know a thing about the roadsters. I've seen a few. Never sat in one. Never seen the battery pack of one. I know the battery chemistry is different than the Model S, and that it uses bigger battery cells in slots or something (I forget the terminology used there).

I've read their patents on their metal air range extenders. I think its viable that they may offer this in the future for super range cars. Phinergy and Alcoa already proved their new aluminum air range extender on their Citroen C1 EV extended the range to over 1000 miles so I don't see why Tesla wouldn't be seriously considering something similar.

because it's cheaper, thats why. replacing the entire battery pack with a direct cell swap would be so costly that it would probably cost more than the value of the roadster itself making this new roadster option completely impractical. I can't see people dropping $20k or more just to take their roadster from 240 miles to 400. that extra 160 miles range isn't worth $20k. $10k maybe. But you aren't going to get even 50kW of the latest and greatest batteries for $10k. You've got a good 5 years at least for prices to drop that much.

then again, there are many people on here dropping $2k every other week for new 21" rims and tires every time they hit a pothole so maybe a $20k upgrade on their roadster is pocket change for them too.

But you feel a hybrid pack with a battery technology that isn't mass market yet would be cheaper than simply updating the cells?

I suspect there is not actually a battery *replacement* upgrade but instead this announcement is about their patents on using a secondary metal air range extender that will be able to recharge the roadster's native battery pack

Perhaps you should actually read the quote in the article:

“The Roadster had an old generation battery. We’ll upgrade it to a new generation battery pack."