Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I mean I get they should fix it but the whole IM SELLING MY CAR THIS IS OBSCENE is over reacting.
The severity is different for each screen though, for many people this weaselling out of a valid warranty claim won't necessarily make people put their car up for sale instantly but it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. When it comes time to replace their car a Tesla will not be on the list to consider....that is where I am at anyway.

Reactions: croman
I am not sure if any one has already posted it, but Tesla has now a new response to the yellow border issue. I went to the service center in Houston, TX to day and when I brought up the yellow border issue, the representative told me that very recently they received information from Tesla that the screens will not be replaced, nor be repaired. Apparently, now they are claiming that since it is not an issue that affects drivability, it will not be replaced under warranty or be repaired. I asked again, since I was told earlier that they were waiting for tools to make the repair, but she confirmed that based on the most recent communication, even the repair will not be done.
This would not surprise me considering the CFO/Elon would have to sign off on the repairs in the latest cost-cutting strategy. I wouldn't be surprised if this repair gets pushed out a few more quarters. I can't blame them -- the car is still usable. I'd be willing to let it pass a few months until they get their finances in order.

The severity is different for each screen though, for many people this weaselling out of a valid warranty claim won't necessarily make people put their car up for sale instantly but it leaves a very bad taste in your mouth. When it comes time to replace their car a Tesla will not be on the list to consider....that is where I am at anyway.

Like countergate didn't do that? Here I am buying another a new one. The Germans will take 10 years, or never, to catch up to Tesla today.

Speaking of Germans, I have a friend with an X5 where every display in the car is completely illegible. It's the red LCD matrix kind. Just hieroglyphs now.

• Informative
Reactions: Fiddler
The Germans will take 10 years, or never, to catch up to Tesla today.
I watched a review on the new Benz EQC recently, in some regards not only have they caught up they are better than Tesla (eg, GPS based regen adjustments) and that probably comes down to the fact they've been making cars for so long. The advantage gap is going to keep getting smaller (unfortunately for Tesla), for now Tesla's trump card is the amazing charging network and a very loyal fan base, that is where the other OEM's will be playing catch up.

With regards to the X5 comment, we have an X5 in our garage and in two years it hasn't missed a beat, still as solid and rattle free as the day we got it.....can't say the same about my P100D that cost twice as much and is just as old with half the mileage on it.

• Informative
Reactions: Inside
I am not sure if any one has already posted it, but Tesla has now a new response to the yellow border issue. I went to the service center in Houston, TX to day and when I brought up the yellow border issue, the representative told me that very recently they received information from Tesla that the screens will not be replaced, nor be repaired. Apparently, now they are claiming that since it is not an issue that affects drivability, it will not be replaced under warranty or be repaired. I asked again, since I was told earlier that they were waiting for tools to make the repair, but she confirmed that based on the most recent communication, even the repair will not be done.
Nor is:
Paint color that doesn't match from one panel to another
A radio that doesn't work
A sun roof that's broken
Maybe a glove box that was never installed at the factory

I could come up with maybe 100 more without too much effort. None effect 'drivability'.

This is not going in a good direction at all. :(

It is well known that flat display panels age with time and heat. Is this really a material or manufacturing defect? You don’t try to get worn seats replaced for free, only if a seam ripped apart. Tesla just has no money to replace tend or hundreds of thousands of displays.
You are comparing apples to oranges. This is far from a worn seat. Based on all the posts, these screens develop the issue at various times in ownership...some within 3 months, some in a year.

So I have the yellow border too (appeared over night). But I don't really get all the hub bub - its not that bad. I can still see stuff behind the yellow coloring, map, music, backup camera etc. Its just yellowed around the corner. None of my passengers ever notice. I mean I get they should fix it but the whole IM SELLING MY CAR THIS IS OBSCENE is over reacting.
I don't think anyone is selling their car based on this issue alone. I too have the yellow screen and it really doesn't bother me...other than expecting much better quality from a six figure car. Mine is a 11/2017 build that I took delivery in 12/2017. It developed the yellow border around 6/2018. It is not going to make me sell the car, but it is the aggregation all the issues that is starting to make me wonder if my next car is going to be a Tesla. You can't seem to get a consistent answer from anyone you call.

Some say that new screens are out

Some say that there is a repair tool already being tested.

Now someone is saying that they will not replace or fix, even though it's under warranty and DEFINITELY falls under the defective aspect of the warranty. I'm sure that you can agree that the screen was never manufactured by the vendor with the specs built in stating that it is acceptable to have a yellow border.

The reluctance to fix an item that is so obviously defective makes me wonder why they even offer a warranty or if they will eventually change the wording in their warranty to "...repaired as we see fit." Also, the fact that they can possibly charge you ($195 per hour) to diagnose an issue even though your car is under warranty makes me think twice. I took my car in for a loud whistling wind noise. They stated that if it turns out to be something that they cannot fix under warranty, then they will charge me $195 per hour for the diagnosis. They ended up replacing the seals between the pano roof sunroof and the back glass roof panel. If they are not willing to replace/repair something as integral to the car as the main center display under warranty, who's to say that they later state that the seals went bad due to bad batch from the vendor?! To me, I think it is very obvious that the screen is defective since it should not develop a yellow border within 3 months to a year of ownership on SO many vehicles in so many different climates.

It's an aggregation of things that make me now hesitate to recommend a Tesla to any interested parties. It usually starts with "How do you like it". My reply is "the car is awesome, BUT customer service sucks. If you happen to get into an accident, expect the repairs to take up to months due to parts supply limitations. Check your car thoroughly on the day of delivery due to questionable fit and finish." Now I can add, beware of warranty issues even though your car is under warranty. I understand that they are cash strapped, but issues like these are digging them an even bigger hole since they are also now losing their "free" advertising from current owners.

• Love
I watched a review on the new Benz EQC recently, in some regards not only have they caught up they are better than Tesla and that probably comes down to the fact they've been making cars for so long.

Just looked at the specs page, not even close. Estimating EPA range of 200, will probably come in under that and be a total dud like the e-tron. Audi worked on their car for 10+ years now? How long for Merc? It's not like these are even good comparisons for reliability. I've successfully avoided Audi's that were getting $7000 repair bills immediately after warranty ended.

But anyway whatever floats your boat, man. Could just buy a Bolt.

It is well known that flat display panels age with time and heat. Is this really a material or manufacturing defect? You don’t try to get worn seats replaced for free, only if a seam ripped apart. Tesla just has no money to replace tend or hundreds of thousands of displays.
@davelv, you're a new member. Welcome to the world of Tesla. Hope you can enjoy driving one, one of these day's, you'll be blown away. :)

Well... This whole story you're saying... Is news to me. You waited page 12 to give us these breaking news? :p

So I have the yellow border too (appeared over night). But I don't really get all the hub bub - its not that bad. I can still see stuff behind the yellow coloring, map, music, backup camera etc. Its just yellowed around the corner. None of my passengers ever notice. I mean I get they should fix it but the whole IM SELLING MY CAR THIS IS OBSCENE is over reacting.
As a shareholder I wish Tesla had more great customers like you, less like me. Wait...

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and croman
Not a good trend.

I have the yellowing border as well. Just noticed it the other day. Nothing real severe but my car is only 2.5 years old.

I will reserve judgment until I know what Tesla’s plan is for this. The message seems to be all over the place currently. In just the last couple days, there have been posts of full MCU replacement, screen replacement, repair, nothing at all, etc.

Nor is:
Paint color that doesn't match from one panel to another
A radio that doesn't work
A sun roof that's broken
Maybe a glove box that was never installed at the factory

I could come up with maybe 100 more without too much effort. None effect 'drivability'.

This is not going in a good direction at all. :(
I am with you and disappointed as well. I am trying to find out if there is some strength in unity to make Tesla responsible for their defective component? Are there any ideas for this?

This would not surprise me considering the CFO/Elon would have to sign off on the repairs in the latest cost-cutting strategy. I wouldn't be surprised if this repair gets pushed out a few more quarters. I can't blame them -- the car is still usable. I'd be willing to let it pass a few months until they get their finances in order.
Okay, then Tesla should say that. At this point, they are stating that there will be no repair/replacement done under warranty. I don’t mind waiting a few months either, but having a yellow screen on a 6 month old $90K car is unacceptable.

Reactions: davidc18 and Gt1948
I have the yellowing border as well. Just noticed it the other day. Nothing real severe but my car is only 2.5 years old.

I will reserve judgment until I know what Tesla’s plan is for this. The message seems to be all over the place currently. In just the last couple days, there have been posts of full MCU replacement, screen replacement, repair, nothing at all, etc.

Unfortunately, these varying messages is a result of Tesla changing its position on this issue. I have been on the receiving end of all 3 messages. A week ago, on the phone, I was told that the screen will be replaced when the correct part becomes available. Then at the service center, 2 days later, I was told that the screen will not be replaced, but in 2 months a repair will be available. And just yesterday, they changed their position yet again to state that the repair is also not an option. Hence, I was told that the only option now is to pay for the new screen.

• Helpful
Reactions: ironwaffle
Maybe you don't care, some people don't care if their cars are scratched, have spray paint on them, or have duct tape holding things on. Some people do however care about their car's anesthetics. When you pay $100K for a car, you expect some level of quality. Our barely one year old car just developed the yellow border, will schedule an appointment and insist on a fix, really don't care if they have to replace it once a year. The cars needs to go in for warped rotors anyways (they must have switched to some cheap rotors in 2018 since this is out 4th and youngest Model S, yet the only one which developed a warped rotor problem). Hopefully it will be a quick and easy swap and they have a loaner for my wife.

Last edited:
The cars needs to go in for warped rotors anyways (they must have switched to some cheap rotors in 2018 since this is out 4th and youngest Model S, yet the only one which developed a warped rotor problem). Hopefully it will be a quick and easy swap and they have a loaner for my wife.

Rotor warping is a myth. Rotors get vibration issues due to improper care.

Okay, then Tesla should say that. At this point, they are stating that there will be no repair/replacement done under warranty. I don’t mind waiting a few months either, but having a yellow screen on a 6 month old $90K car is unacceptable.

Agreed. So who wants to find a lawyer to start the class-action? (Hint: It probably has to be somebody who has already been told that they do not intend to fix the problem.)