Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Someone who was complaining how terrible their Tesla is with their yellow borders threw in their own rotor issues as if it had something to do with overall quality, whatever that may be.
Not exactly, I simply mentioned that the screen issue showed up just as I was about to schedule an appointment for warped rotors, so I figured a single visit could take care of them both (silver lining?).

Have you seen it confirmed by anyone? I saw that mentioned in another thread, but then the poster retracted his statement that it's fixed on his MCU. I just got 16.1, will play around when find some time.

Yes, that is why I said that. @verygreen even tweeted about it yesterday:

green‏ @greentheonly 13h13 hours ago
Ok, I am happy to confirm this problem is fixed in 19.16.1.1.

The audio skipping is still not fixed and priority still needs to be adjusted manually for the audio threads.

OK, I'm not really going to read through 17 pages but my question is whether the centre console screens are being replaced? I've got mine in for an annual service and they're saying they'll be looking at some kind of liquid to be applied to the screen to fix the yellowing. They're saying that the screen could be replaced but only at the owner's expense. Has anyone else heard this before?

OK, I'm not really going to read through 17 pages but my question is whether the centre console screens are being replaced? I've got mine in for an annual service and they're saying they'll be looking at some kind of liquid to be applied to the screen to fix the yellowing. They're saying that the screen could be replaced but only at the owner's expense. Has anyone else heard this before?
Here are your possible scenarios:
* Yes, they will replace it with a new 'old screen' for free
* No, they won't replace it with a new 'old screen' for free, those days are gone
* Yes, we'll replace it with a new 'old screen', but that will cost you $1,300
* Yes, they will replace it with the 'newly developed screen'
* No, they won't replace it with a 'newly developed screen' because those new screens don't exist
* Yes, we'll get to 'fixing' your old screen with the newly designed 'vacuum cleaner', currently under development...so hang tight
* Vacuum cleaner? What the hell are you talking about?
* We'll fix it with a UV light. If that doesn't work we can probably give you a nice tan (OK, I made that one up)

I hope that clarifies things for you. ;)

I had my second mobile service appointment yesterday, this appt was for an issue not related to the screen. (Last week I had an appt for the screen, and the technician told me that they just stopped doing the screen replacements because they found that the new screens have the same problem.)

The technician for my appt yesterday told me the same thing as the first tech, that the new screens have the same issue, but I could still pay if I wanted them to go ahead and replace it. He said that they are still working on coming up with a resolution.

Reactions: Gt1948
Yellow screen is an obvious defect. Imagine if iPhone screens had such yellowing, do you think they'd get away with "we've been working on a fix for months, everything we tried hasn't worked, but we have new things to try, but it's impossible to predict when we can fix your phone"?

Obviously Tesla is making cars with new screens which are not yellow, so yes, they do have parts without this problem. Obviously not every Tesla out there has a yellow screen, that means some fail later or never, which makes this a part yield issue. Sure, the yield is crappy, and it got crappier with latest redesign, but that is not the customer's problem. Elon is so proud how he's a genius by shipping products with little testing while those stupid legacy auto manufacturs waste their time doing exhaustive tests on their parts. Well, own it Elon, sometimes it will mean it will cost you money to keep replacing parts with very crappy yield until you improve the part yield. Show us your genius doesn't depend on customers living with failed parts. And no, you can't apply your software strategy of shipping vaporware and stringing customers along with fart noises, telling them how their cars are getting better, even if they are nowhere near the functionality you sold.

Ps) if you want my prediction for an Elon style solution - that would be a new version of software where all of the UI will shrink (making the buttons on the bottom even more prone to fat fingers) so that there will be a black border around the screen hiding the yellowing. The size of the border will be adjustable, so as more of your screen yellows, you can keep making the UI smaller if you don't want to see it. When buying a used Tesla, besides asking for miles at full charge, people will be asking how small is your screen by now.

The way Tesla decides to address this issue will directly impact my next car purchase. I have it narrowed down to 2, one Tesla and one not. What they are, are irrelevant, but what's important is that there are other options out there for many of us.

I don't love or hate Tesla, or any other company. They are not loyal to me nor I to them. If they sell a product I like, I'll buy it. Part of that purchase decision is post sales care. Tesla has been both great and terrible, depending on the issue.

I won't rage or complain or tweet if they don't solve this issue and other issues. I'll just quietly buy something that is not a Tesla and I'll be happy. I hope Tesla understands that customers like me, that buy their cars based on an objective accounting of their merits rather than some misplaced sense of "doing something", are their most important customers, and easiest to lose.

The way Tesla decides to address this issue will directly impact my next car purchase. I have it narrowed down to 2, one Tesla and one not. What they are, are irrelevant, but what's important is that there are other options out there for many of us.

I don't love or hate Tesla, or any other company. They are not loyal to me nor I to them. If they sell a product I like, I'll buy it. Part of that purchase decision is post sales care. Tesla has been both great and terrible, depending on the issue.

I won't rage or complain or tweet if they don't solve this issue and other issues. I'll just quietly buy something that is not a Tesla and I'll be happy. I hope Tesla understands that customers like me, that buy their cars based on an objective accounting of their merits rather than some misplaced sense of "doing something", are their most important customers, and easiest to lose.

Very well expressed. Pretty much sums up my feelings.

One thing I will say, my next car might not be a Tesla, but it WILL be electric.

Reactions: croman

While I mostly agree with your approach, myself awaiting some soon to be released alternatives, I will however insist Tesla honor their warranty. If your $100K purchase broke down under warranty, would just just throw it away it and only not buy another one from that manufacturer, or would you insist on manufacturer fixing it? Maybe the difference is relative to your value of money. I would do it to a $100 product, but not to a $100K product. Your financial situation may be 1000 times different, $100K product is throw away, but a $100M would not be. ;)

Last edited:
* No, they won't replace it with a new 'old screen' for free, those days are gone
* No, they won't replace it with a 'newly developed screen' because those new screens don't exist
* Yes, we'll get to 'fixing' your old screen with the newly designed 'vacuum cleaner', currently under development...so hang tight
* We'll fix it with a UV light. If that doesn't work we can probably give you a nice tan (OK, I made that one up)

This is a perfect summary of this thread. Thank you.

Reactions: Ken7

I *could* use a tan after this long winter.

Thank you for making the situation as clear as mud. ;)

Reactions: Ken7
Is this problem mostly apparent on cars that spend a fair amount of time outside and are exposed to UV light or is it from normal use (ie heat when on)?

I ask because my car is predominantly a garage queen and I don't notice the effect. It's 3 years old with 36k miles.

Is this problem mostly apparent on cars that spend a fair amount of time outside and are exposed to UV light or is it from normal use (ie heat when on)?

I ask because my car is predominantly a garage queen and I don't notice the effect. It's 3 years old with 36k miles.
My car is only garaged and I got it 1.5 years ago at 19k miles. I don't think it's uv exposure.

My March 2018 MS 100D MCU2 has mostly been in my garage and a covered carport occasionally. Literally only parked twice overnight outside in 14 months. Although obviously outside other times in the Northwest. It was first observed in January. So within 10 months. If I was to guess, I’d think it was being caused be pressure from the trim (frame) exaggerated by vibration. Not an educated guess. Just an impression from the many comments I have read.
Mine was really bad...
Just including link so I don’t have to hunt for my prior post:
Tesla Replaced My Screen!

• Informative
Reactions: aesculus
My wife's car is garaged every night, where it spends most of its life. Screen yellowed at just over a year, 14K miles. Garage windows are small and facing north, so never direct sunlight into the garage either. Of course, when driving and out during the day, some sun hits it, but automotive screens should not be this fragile.

I was told the heat along the edges of the screen causes the yellowing. Not sure if that’s true though...

At least the replaced mine with the new model a week ago. After I got it replaced once within 5 months of ownership a year ago (with the old screen model) and the yellow border came back within 4 months...