Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New screens now available

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
That would work if people's experience with dealerships wasn't awful or worse. Here's an anecdote. Our Leaf is now out of warranty. The dealer refuses to honour prepaid service except for wipers and tire rotation. The battery health check is not covered.

Oh, i'm not saying it's ethical or truthful. But it could sway policy because you could make a very compelling argument on paper.

Reactions: neroden
That would work if people's experience with dealerships wasn't awful or worse. Here's an anecdote. Our Leaf is now out of warranty. The dealer refuses to honour prepaid service except for wipers and tire rotation. The battery health check is not covered.

Goes both ways though.

I had an Infiniti. My wife was driving and the radiator punctured from a rock.

We had an extended warranty and the dealer replaced it with a new one, then also noticed our struts were wearing out and replaced those as well (under warranty!).

There are many really good dealers, especially in the premium car segment, that take great care of their customers.

Goes both ways though.

I had an Infiniti. My wife was driving and the radiator punctured from a rock.

We had an extended warranty and the dealer replaced it with a new one, then also noticed our struts were wearing out and replaced those as well (under warranty!).

There are many really good dealers, especially in the premium car segment, that take great care of their customers.

Yep. In most cases, dealers have an incentive to advocate for you to get defects covered under warranty since they get reimbursed for doing the work. Plus, you can always try a different dealer if you receive subpar service. Since Tesla owns all their service centers it's effectively a monopoly plus service center staff have no incentive to push back on corporate policies / claim denials.

If anything, Tesla's experiment with running their own sales/service centers has served as a case study in why independely owned/operated dealers might still a good thing for consumers. I always took it on faith that manufacturer run sales/service would be superior but that is not proving to be true- especially when compared w/ premium brand dealerships.

When it comes to out of warranty work, dealers do tend to overcharge in my experience. But atleast with other brands there is a robust network of independent shops to choose from.

I did, no live person to be reached on the phone, but made an appointment online, so waiting a month (the appointment line is one month long). Since I can't get any information from Tesla for a month, I come here, and find first hand accounts like this one from yesterday. So thanks for the tip, but it doesn't fill in the information vacuum Tesla is creating by not having any formal communications about this, leaving people with no other options than sharing individual experiences in places like TMC.

That seems like a service tech, human issue, & alot of their AFAIK "knowledge base" doesn't seem to exsist yet, so I can totally understand the issues that develop from this. Continue to ping them, they should & will help resolve

Yep. In most cases, dealers have an incentive to advocate for you to get defects covered under warranty since they get reimbursed for doing the work. Plus, you can always try a different dealer if you receive subpar service. Since Tesla owns all their service centers it's effectively a monopoly plus service center staff have no incentive to push back on corporate policies / claim denials.

German dealerships have to approval from HQ before doing major repairs, or they will not get compensated. i.e. BMW

That seems like a service tech, human issue, & alot of their AFAIK "knowledge base" doesn't seem to exsist yet, so I can totally understand the issues that develop from this. Continue to ping them, they should & will help resolve
What do you mean by "continue to ping them"? You mean keep calling the automated phone operator which will keep telling me to go online? How exactly will this "help resolve"? You think an increase in automated calls will catch Elon's attention somehow? :confused:

• Funny
Reactions: P100D_Me
The service center was also adamant about not returning a failed charger I had replaced on my car (citing it was a "restricted" high voltage item).

I was, equally, if not more, adamant that I was not requesting the purchase of the charger. I was demanding property I already owned be returned. After a bit of back and forth on the matter, including their desire to remove some internal parts as well as the serial number (both of which I did not authorize), it was returned to me.

I'd say your screen is in the same category.

It is - and I might fight to get it back, (though who knows where it is now); but to be honest I need a little bit of a break from this issue. It's been kind of a drag, honestly, in owning the car and how I feel about Tesla.

I'm hoping I can just go a while without any more big defects or fights.

That said maybe I'll go into the SC on Monday and talk to them about it. (More likely to get somewhere than a phone call.)

The biggest thing I'm watching for though is yellowing of this new display... That'll get me riled again.

well i am going into the SC this thursday to get several things repaired.

1. My Daylight running LED's are partially blown out. So im gonna get those fixed before tesla decides that too is a "cosmetic" issue.
2. My yellow MCU boarder. I am gonna lightly remind them i paid $151k for my car, and ask they do it in "Good Faith" on a car that price tag, or i will kindly let them know what a person who can afford a car that price tag can do lawyer wise.

I hope i don't need to get aggressive and they do it for the fact my S is a flag ship.

1. My Daylight running LED's are partially blown out. So im gonna get those fixed before tesla decides that too is a "cosmetic" issue.
2. My yellow MCU boarder. I am gonna lightly remind them i paid $151k for my car, and ask they do it in "Good Faith" on a car that price tag, or i will kindly let them know what a person who can afford a car that price tag can do lawyer wise.

I hope i don't need to get aggressive and they do it for the fact my S is a flag ship.

They got your 151k. They don't care that's the problem. Fremont has spoken and the pawns do as they are told or are terminated.

Only Elon changing his mind can help.

• Funny
Reactions: neroden and TechOps

I don’t think the service center staff will care about threats of legal action - it doesn’t affect them at all plus they have no say in these decisions. If they don’t replace your screen you definitely should ask your attorney to send corporate a strongly worded letter.

Reactions: neroden
you know whats hilarious?

i was talking to a dentist friend of mine about my yellow boarders and how tesla was going to use a UV light to whiten it.
My friend then tells me it could work, because intensive UV can in a sense photo bleach color out of whatever its hitting.
He said he had dont a lot of research on UV and how a lot of dentists use it to whiten teeth.
He however said he would never do it on a patient, but on a screen... sure why not.

He then reminded me i was due for cleaning and i still had a small cavity which needed to be fixed from my last visit. :(

• Funny
Reactions: SO16 and Ken7
I had mentioned in another post a process used in the retro computer world called Retrobrite where a mixture of chemicals and exposure to strong UV brings yellowed plastics back to as good as new again.....but not forever, it's a bit like that movie Awakenings, you think it's all fixed then years on you are back where you started.

Reactions: St Charles
I suspect that they are classifying the yellowing under this exclusion:

So it is a "general appearance" issue. The part is not malfunctioning and doesn't require replacement.

But there is no actual definition of a defect in the warranty document that I could find.

Yeah I wonder how a small claims court judge would interpret the main display of the car developing a hideous yellow border if they don't make that display as good as new with a clear screen under warranty. :rolleyes:

What if your seats discolor and turn yellow or your dashboard turns yellow in certain areas or your paint turns yellow in certain areas. Are they going to say that is within their standards for general appearance? Yeah I don't think, if they wish to sell premium vehicles.

Ironically it's this kind of BS that car dealers have said they protect customers from. I'm not a fan of car dealers but for every new car we have owned, any materials defect cosmetic or not was promptly fixed/replaced by the car dealer. Once the wooden trim in one of our cars developed an internal crack but it was still intact and you could not even feel it through the varnish but it was promptly replaced.

I hope our favorite car company is better than not making this right with a proper screen replacement. Customers should never have to doubt that the warranty will not be honored.

Last edited: