Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New superchargers v3

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.

duanra

Dec 14, 2018
Montreal
Ok, those are coming and they're supposed to be a lot faster but...
My experience with supercharging is arriving around 30% soc, getting 100kw for a few minutes and then the rate of charge starts to reduce...
I am driving a M3 MR. So is it the same for the other Tesla's?
My point is how usefull could it be to have a higher rate of charge if you can take advantage of it for a few minutes only ?

My experience with supercharging is arriving around 30% soc, getting 100kw for a few minutes and then the rate of charge starts to reduce...
My point is how usefull could it be to have a higher rate of charge if you can take advantage of it for a few minutes only ?

Assuming the stalls are still paired the second car arriving will not have to wait as long for the first car taper before receiving max power.

In the future when newer models can take full advantage of the extra output the chargers will already be there. (Next gen Roadster, Semi)

Reactions: SammichLover
This happens in cold weather, which I’ll assume since you’re in Montreal - charge rate might ramp to around 100kW, then back down to a lower rate - when below 0F, I’ve only gotten 40kW without any other car charging.

• Informative
Reactions: duanra
120kW supercharger taper starts at about 50% SoC for the LR battery so it's unclear how much V3 could benefit us. That pickup truck is going to need a monster battery though! Maybe they'll release an even larger battery for the Model S/X capable of the faster charge rate.

Reactions: Nocturnal
For some strange reason I feel that Tesla will offer to install an improved on board charger for those wishing to use the new V3 system.

On the other hand, maybe only the future production will be able to access all that power.
There is no onboard charger for supercharging, the battery is directly connected to the charge port through a relay.

• Informative
Reactions: RyanT and Rocky_H
That charge from 10% to 20% will be insane!
Artist's impression of me in the front seat of my Model 3 w/12% SOC and hooked up to a V3 SC:

giphy-4.gif

On a road trip I would normally charge from 10% to 70% (with some variations, obviously). It appears based on the chart posted by Valore above that my wait time will go down from 40 min to 20 min. That is huge! In reality, 20 minutes is enough to stretch my legs and use a bathroom. If you have kids, 20 minutes is a normal bathroom break on a road trip in gas car (at least it was for my family).
In model 3 LR 10% to 70% will give you about two hours of driving range. That is normally when I like to make a stop and stretch anyway.

Reactions: Nocturnal
120kW supercharger taper starts at about 50% SoC for the LR battery so it's unclear how much V3 could benefit us. That pickup truck is going to need a monster battery though! Maybe they'll release an even larger battery for the Model S/X capable of the faster charge rate.
I have to imagine it allows for better tapering on the high end too. Even if it just allows for 200kw up to 50% that's still a huge improvement.

On a road trip I would normally charge from 10% to 70% (with some variations, obviously). It appears based on the chart posted by Valore above that my wait time will go down from 40 min to 20 min. That is huge! In reality, 20 minutes is enough to stretch my legs and use a bathroom. If you have kids, 20 minutes is a normal bathroom break on a road trip in gas car (at least it was for my family).
In model 3 LR 10% to 70% will give you about two hours of driving range. That is normally when I like to make a stop and stretch anyway.
Get's us a lot closer to ICE fill ups.

That's huge! Sometimes I have to hit closer to 100% on my trips so 60 mins going down to 40 is awesome.

Reactions: SammichLover