Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Model 3 extended range locked me out, Tesla refused to help

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
2) If you have a critical view about Tesla, don't express it here as you will find neither sympathy or support.

I don't agree with this sentiment. There are plenty of threads where people are critical of Tesla UI, its business practices, service, whatever, and the threads aren't drowned out by naysayers. Rather, its frequently the opposite.

I think that OP's first message tone really set the stage for a ton of opposition. He seems to have done several things wrong that night and doesn't seem to accept any of it, instead hanging his hat on the closed service request.

This thread is a tarp!
lol!!...
1649902004412.png

Anyone else read the whole thing in a boomer voice?

The important question is how the phone was setup, was it as a phone key or not? And what troubleshooting steps were done to resolve it?

Been carrying my phone as a key for years now and not bringing my wallet. You are risking not being able to get in the car if something messes up though and that’s on you. That said I cannot see what could make it impossible to get in the car with either internet or Bluetooth access except for a hardware issue.

• Funny
Reactions: WhiteWi

Been carrying my phone as a key for years now and not bringing my wallet. You are risking not being able to get in the car if something messes up though and that’s on you. That said I cannot see what could make it impossible to get in the car with either internet or Bluetooth access except for a hardware issue.

I had a number of problems getting my old LG G6 to work properly on BT with our MY. I was continually having to disable and reenable BT on the phone every time I went to the car. If I remembered, I could use the app to unlock the car, but I still needed to did/reenable BT in order to "start" the MY.

Interestingly this never happened at home and in our WiFi coverage area; it only happened when away from home. The problem went away when I upgraded my phone to a Pixel 5a. I also had to setup the new phone in the car with the key card.

On a different note, another reason to always carry your key card is because you will need it for things like valet parking and non-Tesla service places (e.g. Costco for a flat repair) or maybe even for a third party to drive your Tesla when you can't be in the car and want to retain your phone.

Last edited:
Reactions: DFW_MVP

The important question is how the phone was setup, was it as a phone key or not? And what troubleshooting steps were done to resolve it?

What is a boomer voice?

Only if previously on, least mine just doesn't spontaneously turn itself on.

Realizing the OP is new here (yeah paragraphs are your friend), it's still fair to say Tesla is not really a customer oriented company by design, least in my experience. Customer service no longer returns email and finding someone on the phone outside roadside is an epic task. They seem to do their very best to not allow you to speak with anyone about mostly anything by exclaiming the virtues of the app for scheduling service, removing any human contact. Useful when it works but frustrating in many other ways.

Tesla should be more up front about the limits of their tech cause face it not everyone understands all the details (obvious as we might think they are) like the phone may not unlock your car sometimes and you better have the keycard.
What happened to people actually reading you know Manual. It is all there about the limitations and making sure to have a key card as back up with you at all times. Why would they waste time on customer service as you personal counselor to listen to whine and moan that we see here from never satisfied people? I would rather see them concentrate on better quality control and extending service centers and charging network vs customer service expansion.

Reactions: rpiotro
What is a boomer voice?

Stereotypical old person voice, especially subsequent messages with the incorrect statement about how the technology works defended with "I am an engineer, ... , I know how technology works" just made me read it in the type of voice my grandfather would have when talking about the technology he didn't really understand but didn't want to admit that was the case.

No, TMC is not affiliated in any way with Tesla. If you think you have no responsibility here, that tells me everything I need to know about the rest of this situation.

Good luck to you and your situation.
I have seen this often on TMC when new user gets reality check they Ask if you, me or someone else is “Paid by Tesla”. Wassup with that? I see common pattern there.

Reactions: CyberGus
I never take anything anybody at a car dealership says at face value.

Good point.

I had a short list of questions when we picked up our Tesla. One was, “Do we have to do anything to link a credit in order to use a Supercharger?” The rep said no, it was automatically set up to the card we put our deposit down on. Our first attempt let us charge, but the app said no further charging was possible until we linked a credit card. Which we did, and that was that.

To be fair, the handful of other questions were answered accurately, so I think it’s reasonable to assume info from the dealer is correct, at least until proven otherwise. That said, dealer advice to be 100% dependent on a single consumer electronic device for car entry and operation should have been seen as suspect on its face.

And though it really shouldn’t matter, I’m firmly in Boomer territory. As my avatar probably suggests.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: KenC and rpiotro
Baby boomer....born between 1946-64
aka...old guy or gal
That is my take on that comment.

Hey I resemble that voice!! lol
I figure he meant that but I couldn't figure out what the voice of a boomer sounds like. I mean there are millions from all over. Men, women, all races , all voices. So it didn't make sense to me.
Perhaps he just means an old man " Get off my lawn" kind of thing.

Funny thing is, I took the OP to be a Millennial

Last edited:
Reactions: Ormond
The Tesla app uses Bluetooth. It doesn't use WAN or WifFi

This is factually wrong.

I am an engineer myself!
I have multiple individual patents to my name!
I know how technology works.

I am...dubious of these claims... given you got the first thing wrong, and also claimed Tesla nowhere tells you to carry the keycard, when the manual specifically tells you to do that.

Even if it's NOT setup as a key, you can still unlock it over LTE or Wifi just using the app.

Even more important- was he at the right car?

Because from everything he said- it he wasn't

Original post said:
"The Tesla app on iphone would show the car is unlocked but car won't open. On the car screen, I could see the car was displaying that "Sentry mode" was turned ON for some reason. I had not turned it ON when I left the vehicle so I was very surprised. The app for some reason did not show that sentry mode is ON

The app connected- and showed him his car was unlocked with sentry off.

Yet he was standing in front of a locked car with sentry on.

Wrong car.

As @jjrandorin already pointed out several pages ago.

He only recently got it, and there's a bajillion teslas in CA, so not surprising there'd be another that looked like his parked nearby. But it's the only thing that actually fits the story he told.

Last edited:
Yeah always take your card or buy a ring key https://www.amazon.com/CNICK-Tesla-...9Y2xpY2tSZWRpcmVjdCZkb05vdExvZ0NsaWNrPXRydWU=
Or add a buddy or family member to your car you can give them a call and they could unlock your car. Or they can even start it for you if your phone and card are lost or stolen.
This scenario is exactly why i bought the CNICK ring key.
Unfortunately it fails 90% of the time.
I emailed them and they said the phone key needs to be disconnected from the car for it to work.
Shutting off my iphone didn't help. So if there is a phone malfunction I can't trust the ring.
Too bad too. I really liked the idea.

I also love your idea of adding a buddy and they can actually start your car for you. that's a great idea for an extra level of backup

What happened to people actually reading you know Manual. It is all there about the limitations and making sure to have a key card as back up with you at all times. Why would they waste time on customer service as you personal counselor to listen to whine and moan that we see here from never satisfied people? I would rather see them concentrate on better quality control and extending service centers and charging network vs customer service expansion.
I have to wonder, does everyone read every manual for everything they own? I guess you do.

Not saying OP shouldn't read the manual, that's not the point really - OP wasn't prepared, ok.

Let's all just treat people badly when they screw up, that will fix them.

• Funny
Reactions: KenC
I have to wonder, does everyone read every manual for everything they own? I guess you do.

Not saying OP shouldn't read the manual, that's not the point really - OP wasn't prepared, ok.

Let's all just treat people badly when they screw up, that will fix them.
Well, someone mentioned that since Tesla is quite complicated that they should explain tech better which they do in Manual! I didn’t treat OP badly. Thanks for comment.
P.S.
To be honest I have seen same kind of posts in past 3 years being on different Tesla forums. When people say “I know how technology works I am engineer and etc“ then they went ahead and showed they had no clue what they were talking about in regards to Tesla.

Last edited:
  • Funny
Reactions: CyberGus
Status
Not open for further replies.