Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tesla model 3 RWD battery drain while parked problem and park assist unavailable

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I've had the exact same issue as you. Got my M3 LR just over 3 weeks ago. Everything was working great. Then when I got into the car on Monday 26th June, no Autopilot visualization (No lanes, cars, objects nothing but the car showing), and also therefore no park assist or cruise control. I've also notice that I'm losing around 5-6% over 15 hours or so.

I've raised a service notification with Tesla regarding the autopilot issue. Let me know if you find a solution.
Another one with the same issue on the same firmware.

M3 LR - late 2022 build.

I had the autopilot visual + autopilot disabled as well, but managed to fix that by going into the service mode and reset the sensors. That fixed it.

Drain remains though.

21 3LR AWD. I left it in the covered airport parking garage not plugged in for 6 days at 26% SoC. Checked on it twice via the Tesla app over the 6 days and when I returned from my trip it never dropped a %. As other posters have said, make sure you don't have any 3rd party apps that connect to it, disable sentry mode and overheat protection. The battery cooling system may activate if you have the vehicle parked where the ambient temperature is high. Make an appointment with your local SC because something is draining the battery.

I'm experiencing the same issue, Autopilot and AutoSteer both were not able to be turned on and no cars were being shown by the cameras, only the road markings and signs. Was able to re-install the update using service mode and that fixed that.

However, I'm having the exact same problem with the battery draining on idle. I contacted Tesla and was told this is normal. Here is a post I created with all of the information that I have: https://teslamotorsclub.com/tmc/thr...d-told-this-is-normal-more-info-below.306242/

A week ago, I parked my 2023 model 3 w 20 miles range left. 6 hrs later, I got in to go to the supercharger. It had 14 miles. I charged it. I didn’t drive much after, but now I’ve noticed the car is losing 24-48 miles per 24 hr period. It has been sitting on the driveway. Yes, it’s warm out, but it’s been warm since May. I’ve had the car for 3 months. In the last 3 days, it has lost 99 miles. It now has 56 miles left, so I have to go to the charger and pay for miles the car keeps losing. (My home charger is being installed next week.)

I don’t have sentry or climate control on. My service appt which I made last Monday is still 8 days away. Seems like a long time for a car that is not very useful. Customer service has sent me texts saying this is normal. That just doesn’t seem right. THE CAR HAS BEEN IDLE ON THE DRIVEWAY THE LAST 3 DAYS WHILE LOSING THOSE 99 MILES. Today,it lost 48 miles In 24 hrs. Before last week, it didn’t lose any miles. I know, because I would check the miles left before driving most times (range anxiety!). Has anyone else had this happen? I have no clue what’s causing the power drain.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
A very unhappy Tesla owner.

A week ago, I parked my 2023 model 3 w 20 miles range left. 6 hrs later, I got in to go to the supercharger. It had 14 miles. I charged it. I didn’t drive much after, but now I’ve noticed the car is losing 24-48 miles per 24 hr period. It has been sitting on the driveway. Yes, it’s warm out, but it’s been warm since May. I’ve had the car for 3 months. In the last 3 days, it has lost 99 miles. It now has 56 miles left, so I have to go to the charger and pay for miles the car keeps losing. (My home charger is being installed next week.)

I don’t have sentry or climate control on. My service appt which I made last Monday is still 8 days away. Seems like a long time for a car that is not very useful. Customer service has sent me texts saying this is normal. That just doesn’t seem right. THE CAR HAS BEEN IDLE ON THE DRIVEWAY THE LAST 3 DAYS WHILE LOSING THOSE 99 MILES. Today,it lost 48 miles In 24 hrs. Before last week, it didn’t lose any miles. I know, because I would check the miles left before driving most times (range anxiety!). Has anyone else had this happen? I have no clue what’s causing the power drain.

Please share your thoughts. Thanks.
A very unhappy Tesla owner.
try re-installing the software from service mode, but only after you get your home charger, and plug it in and charge it up to a higher level.

one thing to check, do you have any navigation destination set, like to a supercharger where it will try to precondition? Try canceling that. Check on your app that you aren't preconditiong for departure either.

Do you have L1 outlet anywhere? Even that can be helpful.

No the drain is not normal. I might lose 3-4 completely off in 24 hours.

Reactions: brianbcc
try re-installing the software from service mode, but only after you get your home charger, and plug it in and charge it up to a higher level.

one thing to check, do you have any navigation destination set, like to a supercharger where it will try to precondition? Try canceling that. Check on your app that you aren't preconditiong for departure either.

Do you have L1 outlet anywhere? Even that can be helpful.

No the drain is not normal. I might lose 3-4 completely off in 24 hours.
I don't have a L1 charger (they don't come w the car anymore). I have never used the departure part of the app. I set the destination in the car when I'm about to drive to the supercharger. I noticed last night it didn't pop up that it was preconditioning the battery while I was making the 9 mile drive there. Once I get there, it no longer has it as a destination. I only charge it once a week, and it always tells me it should be charged up to 100% once a week, so that's what i've been doing. Before last week, i didn't lose any miles as it sat on the driveway. Now, I've lost most of the charge from last week, I barely went anywhere. Early this morning, I parked it after charging at 1am, it had 256 miles. It is now 12:20pm, so 9 hours later (the car hasn't been moved), it has 244 miles. So it has lost 12 miles in 9 hours. That seems crazy...and totally unacceptable.

I don't have a L1 charger (they don't come w the car anymore). I have never used the departure part of the app. I set the destination in the car when I'm about to drive to the supercharger. I noticed last night it didn't pop up that it was preconditioning the battery while I was making the 9 mile drive there. Once I get there, it no longer has it as a destination. I only charge it once a week, and it always tells me it should be charged up to 100% once a week, so that's what i've been doing. Before last week, i didn't lose any miles as it sat on the driveway. Now, I've lost most of the charge from last week, I barely went anywhere. Early this morning, I parked it after charging at 1am, it had 256 miles. It is now 12:20pm, so 9 hours later (the car hasn't been moved), it has 244 miles. So it has lost 12 miles in 9 hours. That seems crazy...and totally unacceptable.
Ya something's not right.
I also have a 3mo old 2023 M3 SR, and I left for a flight last Tuesday. Had charged my car to 100% from the night before.
I unplugged it Tuesday morning prior to leaving on my trip (didn't see the need to keep it plugged in the garage since was already 100% and I would be back in a few days).
Just flew home tonight (Friday), and car is still at 100%.
This is what I was hoping and expecting.

Reactions: bckelowna
Ya something's not right.
I also have a 3mo old 2023 M3 SR, and I left for a flight last Tuesday. Had charged my car to 100% from the night before.
I unplugged it Tuesday morning prior to leaving on my trip (didn't see the need to keep it plugged in the garage since was already 100% and I would be back in a few days).
Just flew home tonight (Friday), and car is still at 100%.
This is what I was hoping and expecting.
Tesla has messaged me telling me it’s normal. Seems utterly ridiculous. In the past 9 days since this started, I’ve lost OVER 200 miles. One day this week, I lost 48 miles. It’s usually around 24 lost miles in a day. Never lost a mile before 9 days ago. NOW I HATE THIS CAR.

Unfortunately, I didn't take this energy snapshot until after i got to the supercharger

Attachments

• IMG_6876.JPG
    IMG_6876.JPG
    577.7 KB · Views: 168
I am experiencing the exact same issues with loss of autopilot, park assist and live traffic visualization as well as high battery drain.

I had my model 3 rwd since Feb 2023 and issue only recently started in late June/early July.

I took my car in to service the issue with autopilot issues and they fixed it temporarily and it came back.

When asked about the battery drain issue and was told by Tesla service center as "normal".

I'm getting 10% battery drain on idle stand by per day -- basically more than my daily commute.

I got my 2023 model3 back in April, started experiencing the drain issue and autopilot/cruise control/parking assist issues after a software update almost a month ago. After updating the software, the other issues were resolved, but I am still losing 10% or more per day.

I have nothing on, no Wi-Fi, no sentry, no summon, I haven’t used any third party apps, data sharing is off, my usb stick is removed lol. In the energy app, the consumption is coming from vehicle standby.

I scheduled a service appointment and they canceled it. Left me a voicemail saying it’s normal because of sentry etc. I called them back and explained nothing is on, and in May I was gone for three weeks and lost 7% total. He said I only lost a small amount before because the car was learning my driving habits. The new drain is normal overnight because the car will use power to keep the battery at a specific temperature, and since my car is probably parked outside it’s using more power. I explained my car is actually garaged and the drain isn’t just overnight it’s constant. They just kept talking over me saying it’s normal.

They reluctantly rescheduled my service appointment for tomorrow but the service advisor said “I’m 99.9% sure we’re just going to call you in a few hours and tell you nothing is wrong. If there is no hardware issue, and I’m sure there isn’t, we’re just going to give it right back to you.” So I’m wondering if they are just going to let it sit there for a while and call me lol

I got my 2023 model3 back in April, started experiencing the drain issue and autopilot/cruise control/parking assist issues after a software update almost a month ago. After updating the software, the other issues were resolved, but I am still losing 10% or more per day.

I have nothing on, no Wi-Fi, no sentry, no summon, I haven’t used any third party apps, data sharing is off, my usb stick is removed lol. In the energy app, the consumption is coming from vehicle standby.

I scheduled a service appointment and they canceled it. Left me a voicemail saying it’s normal because of sentry etc. I called them back and explained nothing is on, and in May I was gone for three weeks and lost 7% total. He said I only lost a small amount before because the car was learning my driving habits. The new drain is normal overnight because the car will use power to keep the battery at a specific temperature, and since my car is probably parked outside it’s using more power. I explained my car is actually garaged and the drain isn’t just overnight it’s constant. They just kept talking over me saying it’s normal.

They reluctantly rescheduled my service appointment for tomorrow but the service advisor said “I’m 99.9% sure we’re just going to call you in a few hours and tell you nothing is wrong. If there is no hardware issue, and I’m sure there isn’t, we’re just going to give it right back to you.” So I’m wondering if they are just going to let it sit there for a while and call me lol
If it's a software issue, there is literally nothing they (the SC) can do about it. The best you can do is have them push to engineering and hopefully it spurs a software fix.

I'd be upset too, that's costing you real money, could be 6 or 7 kWh per day. Have you tried re-deploying the software from the service menu? Have you tried changing your account password, and/or disabling/enabling 2FA on the account to make sure you don't have any software waking the car up?

You might try explaining that you understand all seems good but the car doesn't go to sleep. Ask them to tell you why specifically the car isn't going to sleep in your situation. It should go to sleep after some time, since no settting (sentry etc) is on.
Believe me I tried, but the service advisor just didn’t want to hear it. I’ll explain again tomorrow morning, hopefully he was just having a rough day.

If it's a software issue, there is literally nothing they (the SC) can do about it. The best you can do is have them push to engineering and hopefully it spurs a software fix.
I understand as much, but “normal behavior” is not the same as a software issue. I travel often for work for weeks at a time, and I only have shared chargers where I live so I can’t keep it plugged in constantly when I’m gone. I asked constantly before I purchased about battery drain while parked because of this, and I was consistently told “1-2% a day, maybe a little more, you should have no problem leaving it for two weeks.”

I'd be upset too, that's costing you real money, could be 6 or 7 kWh per day. Have you tried re-deploying the software from the service menu? Have you tried changing your account password, and/or disabling/enabling 2FA on the account to make sure you don't have any software waking the car up?
I’ve tried changing my account password, but I have yet to re-deploy the software. I’ll wait until after tomorrow’s service appointment.