Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Tesla Podcast: Introducing RIDE THE LIGHTNING!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Hi Ryan,

In this episode around 22:00 you asked the question, "How many of us [Model 3 buyers] will get the full $7,500 full tax rebate?" According to my calculation, the number is 17,530. This is based on USA registration numbers Tesla released a few days ago for 2014 and 2015 and their 2016 guidance. Discussion topic with more details is HERE. Let's continue the discussion there if somebody wants to comment on this. Full table with data sources is HERE (scroll to the right). Tesla will reach 200,000 in Q2 2018. Full credits will continue until the end of Q3 2018 (only 1 more quarter after the 200,000 number is reached).

My guess is, if you pre-order on 2.nd April or if you pre-order on 31.st March or 1st April but don't select the performance and larger battery when you configure, you have no chance of getting the full credits.

Great analysis Troy, thanks for that post and that info. Of course a better-than-expected or worse-than-expected 2016 and/or 2017 could change things, but your analysis is illuminating nevertheless. Maybe I can sell the performance model to my wife as a discount. "Performance will only cost us $2500!" (if it's a $10k difference, anyway...it's $20k on S). :)

Hi! Just found your podcast on Teslarati. I'm not an owner either, I just enjoy the company and what they do. I'm a mechanic by trade, and a huge gearhead. I too hope to someday own an S, maybe a III. I was wondering if you'd consider using Stitcher as a client as well? I'm listening to ep1 as I type, and added you to my list of car talk along with Talking Tesla, The Smoking Tire, and Street Outlaws: Chief and Shawn Show :). Aloha! (p.s. IGN rules! Long time reader, I'm old...32...)

Ryan, in your last episode you mentioned you weren't aware of what, if any, rebates are available in Canada. Instead of calling your phone message line I'll give you the details here. Perhaps you want to mention them in your podcast since there might be a few listeners in Canada who are not aware of the rebate situation up here if they're considering a purchase.

Of the 10 provinces and 3 territories, only 3 provinces offer EV rebates or incentives:

British Columbia, Ontario and Quebec.

BC offers up to $5000 on BEVs and up to $6000 on hydrogenfuel cell cars. (http://www.livesmartbc.ca/incentives/transportation/index.html

Quebec offers up to $8000 on BEVs and expires on Dec 31 2020 or until the funds are depleted.(Electric Vehicles - Site of the Government of Quebec)

Ontario offers up to $14,000 in rebates on BEVs (Electric vehicles incentive program)

It should be noted that none of the incentive/rebate programs in Canada are income or tax-related. They're all rebates that are mailed to the buyer in the form of a cheque a few weeks after purchase. No waiting for tax time, everyone qualifies and does not run out based on a manufacturer making certain number of cars.

Since I'm Ontario I'll explain our situation a bit more:

Up until February 10 the maximum rebate one could claim was $8500 and was based solely on the battery size. Since the Model S had the biggest battery it was eligible for the full rebate amount. As of Feb 10 however the rebate program was revamped and is now tied to variables such as MSRP, battery size and number of seats.

Here is the guide if you want to read it:
http://www.forms.ssb.gov.on.ca/mbs/...tFileAttach/023-2096E~3/$File/2096E_Guide.pdf

The MSRP is a big factor because cars between $75 and $150K are now capped at a maximum of $3000 for the rebate. Since the Model S70 is now over $93K CAD starting price it means *all* Model S and Model X vehicles will only get a maximum of $3000. This has a lot of buyers *really* upset as you can imagine as some are indeed stretching their budgets to get one. Ontario also has a 13% provincial tax on top of that so you can do the math ;)

However all is not lost.

Since like you, I am a Model 3 future owner, Ontario Model 3 buyers should be able to qualify for the $14,000 maximum rebate. Take for example the rebate for a BMW i3: Eligible Electric Vehicles > $13,000.

The only thing left out is that it only has 4 seats. 5+ seats gets another $1000 from the government! I fully expect Model 3 to be a 5-seat sedan. Lastly, we can also get up to a $1000 rebate for the installation of a home charger (Electric vehicle charging incentive program). I'll be ordering a HPWC for the Model 3 too!

Hope this helps, enjoying the podcast!

Last edited:
Pretty easy to get the way I do it.

The podcast shows up automatically in iTunes and then transfers to my iPhone when i plug it in.

Once on the phone I can listen to it with earbuds around the house or (as I'll be doing shortly) connect the phone to my S via bluetooth and listen via the S's sound system.

Reactions: ryanjm
Model 3 is here, and I got to go see it and ride in it! I’ll tell you about that, plus audio clips from my brief chats with Tesla representatives, my reservation line camp-out experience, some of YOUR reservation line experiences, and so much more on episode 35 -- my biggest episode yet!

http://traffic.libsyn.com/teslapodc...esla_Motors_Unofficial_Podcast_Episode_35.mp3

What??!! I think I'm an episode behind, but last I knew you weren't invited to the reveal, and you were going to be in Hawaii and had to take a puddle jumper to Oahu to make your in-store reservation. I can't wait to listen and hear what transpired to change both those things. Love the podcast by the way! You are getting lots of callers to the hotline!!

I got my reservation in yesterday morning as well and think the Model 3 will be great. Now the hard part will be the waiting, lack of news, and anticipation.

• Love
Reactions: ryanjm