Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Thinner More Comfortable Seats

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Does anyone have the thinner and “more comfortable” design seats yet?
I’m taking delivery tomorrow. Not sure when these will start showing up.
Tesla updates Model S front seats with thinner design — Electrek

Looks more like Tesla updates their seats with cheaper ones. As they do not look more comfortable but could be wrong. Also it looks like they went back to the worse back seats that don't have the dividers. Makes sense for them to use ones that costs less considering the S has been reduced $60k from back when it was $165k fully loaded with upgrades

Reactions: BulldogsRus
voltage is not making it up. You can buy a 2020 Model S right now, direct from the Tesla site.

Every other car manufacturer in the U.S. releases the new model year during the Fall. This has been the case for decades. Tesla bucked the trend by adhering to calendar year but has now adopted the same industry practice as their peers.

View attachment 485936
Good now they can actually compare the depreciation values with cars that are not 5 months older.

You'll have to show us your paper work that shows 2020 unless America has some crazy law 2020 starts in 2019
Virtually all car companies do this! I’ve bought many cars in a calendar year where the Model year is labeled as the next calendar year. Thus a Lexus bought in November 2019 can be labeled a 2020. There are many 2020s out now from many manufacturers and they’ve been out for a few months already. Tesla didn’t invent this ‘scheme’.

On the plus side, my late December 2014 car (actually originally delivered New Year's Day 2015) gets a bit of a break on insurance premiums compared to a comparable car made a few days later, even though it took advantage of all the late 2014 innovations (autopilot, dual motors, next gen seats) that in most manufacturers would have been considered a "2015" model year.

reckon we will have to wait for bigger interior update with new HVAC before we get new gen ventilated seats.

Personally I would like to see adjustable side bolsters to make the seats more accomodating for different driver sizes.

Couldn't give a hoot about massage - that just seems weird and a solution looking for a problem.
Tbh massage in most cars is simply the lumbar moving up and down, don't think they vibrate.

It looks like cost savings and efficiency changes to me but as long as they are comfortable and the new foam holds it’s shape well, I’m OK with it. They should’ve added a center rear arm rest instead of creating slightly larger leg room with the new design.
It seems like just one more reason not to buy an S, they should be offering more luxury features to differentiate it from the 3, not keep removing them (ventilated seats, sunroof, etc.) imho.

Reactions: Cheburashka
my money is on a more significant series of interior updates Q1/2020 to bolster traditionally low sales in that quarter.
No doubt for me that much of this revolves around updated HVAC using principles from M3 which will be part of a heavily redesigned dash and centre console, and I entirely expect this revised seat design will have that in mind for the future.

Once they embark on this part of the project, other updates will follow as a steady stream.
Biggest question of all will be if they dare swap out the portrait screen for the landscape M3 format, although I do think there will still be a second display of some sort in front of the driver.

Logically portrait orientation is much better for maps and is better to integrate, but we have seen a landscape screen in the Plaid prototype which it must be said caused quite a few howls of anguish.

Ultimately I think this will be decided by Elon's now well established decision making of calculating a percentage of casualties in the pursuit of cost-down through commonality.

I love the seats in my 2017 MS, I just wish they had cooling as well but otherwise they are super comfortable.
So it would be a shame for the brand and what the MS is supposed to stand for if these new ones have gone all K-Mart on us.

reckon we will have to wait for bigger interior update with new HVAC before we get new gen ventilated seats.

Personally I would like to see adjustable side bolsters to make the seats more accomodating for different driver sizes.

Couldn't give a hoot about massage - that just seems weird and a solution looking for a problem.

And I could say the same thing about adjustable side bolsters and ventilated seats. Don't need either one.

My last Lexus had cooled seats. Didn't do a whole lot but definitely made them age and tear faster.
Seriously? I don't believe being vented had anything to do with how fast your seats did or didn't wear. In fact, it could easily be argued that keeping your back/bottom from sweating in summer months could prolong the life of leather surfaces.

Our previous sedan was a 2011 Kia Optima that had heated front & rear seats and the fronts were vented. The car was SO much more comfortable to sit in in the summer months and the vents made a huge difference. After owning them, I'd choose vented seats in the summer over heated seats in the winter and I live in the Northern Front Range of Colorado so that should say something.

Over 100k miles and they looked and worked the same as the day I bought it off the show room floor. That was a 2011 Kia.

In 2012 (let alone 2019) there's no reason a six figure flagship car for a car company that touts itself as being so technologically advanced shouldn't at least offer ventilated seats as an option as a bare minimum. Should probably be standard for a car like that by now.

Two things we miss about out BMWE 7er's is how quiet they were and the SEATS. I put 140k+ miles on buy last one and the seats and interior looks like new the day I sold it. Ventilated seats absolutely do not age worse than non, at least for BMW seats. To this day the seats are the one thing I truly do miss during my daily commute. They may have had too many controls and almost too many settings but once you had them set right it was like sitting in the most comfortable lounging seat you have ever had. As much as my wife loves her Model X if BMW ever releases a legitimate BEV 7 series and don't kill the seats from the ICE version....well that'll be the next car in her garage spot.

Reactions: BulldogsRus