Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New tweet from Tesla: will sell their own CCS adaptor “soon” in North America

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then you should investigate whether Tesla Service can swap your car over to the European spec charge port hardware. Otherwise, you'd have to adapt from CCS2 to CCS1, then from CCS1 to Tesla via this adapter. Double adapting like that on a high-current, high-voltage DC circuit is a recipe for danger.
Thanks for the input. I'll just wait til Tesla releases their CCS1 adapter in the US. Seems like the best route.

Just today I saw an interesting video about the Tesla chargeport. To be able to handle CCS they added a new microcontroller board to the charge port with the Model 3 and Y. At some point they probably also did that to the Model S/X. I assume the raven. Anything befoe that will not be able to use the adapter as the car simply can't support the CCS communication.

You realize CCS1 and CCS2 is incompatible, right? Meaning even with a CCS1 adapter, you won’t be able to charge in Italy (without a CCS2 to CCS1 adapter).
You're right, CCS1 and CCS2 are different. I realized CCS2 is what's out here and the adapter is for CCS1. :( Thanks for pointing that out. There is a company who can make it work, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money with regards to my length of stay here.
Guess I'll stay with my Type 2 adapter for now.

You're right, CCS1 and CCS2 are different. I realized CCS2 is what's out here and the adapter is for CCS1. :( Thanks for pointing that out. There is a company who can make it work, but I'm not sure if it's worth the money with regards to my length of stay here.
Guess I'll stay with my Type 2 adapter for now.
You may talk with Tesla service and have them trade out the charger port. Keep the old one for when you return.

Someone with a refresh 2021 Model S has confirmed that it lists CCS adapter support as enabled in firmware 2021.40.6:

721174-c83a13f8b4297fa91c8a47c14f1d5fa8.jpg

Yup. Supported.
View attachment 735471

(This picture from my car is also making the rounds on Twitter)

So it will be interesting if someone that has imported the adapter from Korea could try it on one of these newer vehicles with current firmware.

Someone with a refresh 2021 Model S has confirmed that it lists CCS adapter support as enabled in firmware 2021.40.6:

721174-c83a13f8b4297fa91c8a47c14f1d5fa8.jpg

So it will be interesting if someone that has imported the adapter from Korea could try it on one of these newer vehicles with current firmware.
I imagine even if imported, they haven’t sorted out the EA and other integrations, so it’s not going to work. All of the protocol and interop is apparently a giant mess and nothing is truly standard.

• Disagree
Reactions: israndy
I imagine even if imported, they haven’t sorted out the EA and other integrations, so it’s not going to work. All of the protocol and interop is apparently a giant mess and nothing is truly standard.
There shouldn't be any integration necessary with EA or the other charging network vendors. Tesla has been supporting CCS in Europe for years now, and there are only so many makers of the CCS equipment. So I suspect that they have the CCS part down already. (That and we have heard rumors of them testing the adapter in the US at least 6 months ago.)

I suspect that the delay in the US is two fold:
  • Limited supply of the adapters, which are need more in Korea than in North America.
  • A supply shortage for the parts necessary to retrofit older Model S/X/3 vehicles. (Which they probably want to make available at the same time that the adapter is made available.)

There shouldn't be any integration necessary with EA or the other charging network vendors. Tesla has been supporting CCS in Europe for years now, and there are only so many makers of the CCS equipment. So I suspect that they have the CCS part down already. (That and we have heard rumors of them testing the adapter in the US at least 6 months ago.)

I suspect that the delay in the US is two fold:
  • Limited supply of the adapters, which are need more in Korea than in North America.
  • A supply shortage for the parts necessary to retrofit older Model S/X/3 vehicles. (Which they probably want to make available at the same time that the adapter is made available.)
This isn’t what a few people on the software side have told me with charge stations.

I mean, even Ford couldn’t get EA to work at launch 🙃

For context, Ford couldn't get "plug and charge" to work at launch. Basic charging did. (Where you have to activate the charger via app in charger console)

I'd also be surprised if Tesla got plug and charge working by launch, and frankly don't see the need. The "emergency/that one charger on this route" use case doesn't "need" plug and charge to work. Also, I don't think they've gotten that working in Europe yet either.

For context, Ford couldn't get "plug and charge" to work at launch. Basic charging did. (Where you have to activate the charger via app in charger console)

I'd also be surprised if Tesla got plug and charge working by launch, and frankly don't see the need. The "emergency/that one charger on this route" use case doesn't "need" plug and charge to work. Also, I don't think they've gotten that working in Europe yet either.
It was even worse: early MachE models routinely tripped up both main charger models with communication errors mid charge. They did sort the issues out, but if your launch partner DCFC system doesn’t even handle the basics out the gate, I sense a lot of pain.

Do you believe the older model 3s (I have Dec 2018 mid-range) lack something to use the CCS adapter? Mine works fine with the CHAdeMO adapter, though this does not say too much. I sold that adapter in anticipation of getting the CCS when it comes out. The adapter looks like it is very basic with the smarts to be in the car.

Do you believe the older model 3s (I have Dec 2018 mid-range) lack something to use the CCS adapter? Mine works fine with the CHAdeMO adapter, though this does not say too much. I sold that adapter in anticipation of getting the CCS when it comes out. The adapter looks like it is very basic with the smarts to be in the car.
Absolutely, the North American Model 3s made until sometime in 2020 don't have the necessary chip(s) to talk to the CCS charger.

The "smarts in the car" is what is likely missing--the controller board needs a chip that "speaks" CCS to the charger. While even from the start they introduced Model 3s in Europe that spoke CCS, older cars didn't have it and needed a replacement of the charger control board to add the ability before they could use the adapter. US spec cars before apparently like 2019 or 2020 similarly lack the CCS controller, and thus would need a similar retrofit to let them speak CCS too.

Only newer models of 3 and Y are compatible with the new CCS adapter coming soon to North America for now. Not sure what is required to enable those that are not ready.

On your main screen in the car click on the car icon in the lower left hand corner, then click software and then click additional information. A list of items comes up, one being "CCS adapter support" it will say "Enabled if your car is good to go otherwise it will not work until Tesla adds hardware or software or both to your ride.

IMG_0150 copy.jpg

The last software update enabled the Korean CCS adapter to work in North America so it does look like we should see something soon. Tesla CCS adapter activated in North America with 2021.40.6 software update

Last edited:
That's annoying. As a 2018 purchase I doubt I will have the chip. And it's not likely the upgrade of the board will be cheap either. I sold my CHAdeMO adapter this week in anticipation of the arrival of the CCS adapter. They are no longer sold so it fetched a huge price -- over $1000. After the CCS adapter comes out in the USA I expect the price of used CHAdeMO will drop down a lot if I need to buy it again. Or the Setec adapter might work though it is less reliable and $650 -- but its price should also drop when the official adapter comes out. The CHAdeMO adapter served me well (you don't want to drive a road trip in BC without it) but the CCS one is obviously better by every measure -- except not working on my older car.

Hopefully Tesla will allow only Model 3 and Model Y owners to purchase these. Everything new seems to get snatched up and put on eBay for a profit while thing are BO on the site all the time. Had that experience with the wall connector and the CHAdeMO adapter I bought a while back.

They do have control of parts such as the TPMS sensors and probably all "over the counter" parts. Went to my local SC over a month ago and said I wanted 4 TPMS sensors for the new Models S coming soon so I can set up my winter wheels before everything is sold out. Told they would not allow me to purchase the part without me having my VIN. Got rather frustrated so I simply said, well then here is the VIN for my Y, no problem she said and went into the back store to get a set. Luckily the refreshed S uses the same bluetooth sensors as the part being purchased must coincide with fitment to the Y.