Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New UMC?

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think Tesla took the wrong approach entirely, if the UMC isn't capable of safely handling 40A to meet the code requirements, the solution isn't to lower it to 32, but to fix the deficiencies do it can do 40 properly, I don't know if it needs beefier components, larger gauge wire, whatever. That's the part that they should have changed, not the amount of current you can use.

How many people use these on a regular basis? I have only ever used the 120V adapter in my 10+ months of owning a Tesla, and I did that only once. I have never used the other connector - I am assuming it is for a 240V outlet like one would have for a clothes dryer?

Raises hand. Charging at 240V 40A on UMC every night.

FYI, it's a stove plug, not a dryer plug. Higher current.

I also received mine this morning from Fedex. They just dropped it at my door and didn't wait for a signature so there is no proof they actually delivered it to me.

When I purchased the car my planning assumed 40A charging at home. If Tesla thinks the current UMC is not safe to charge at 40A then they can provide me another "safe" solution that charges at 40A or above (e.g. HPWC) at no cost.

I won't be returning anything and will not have anything in my car when I go for service.

Someone sent me a private message asking for a photo of the handle and main power unit. It appears there is an 'improvement' besides diminished power :p

The handle sports a recessed button behind a solid plastic cover now. Ooooooh.

Attachments

• image.jpeg
    image.jpeg
    992.4 KB · Views: 94
I think Tesla took the wrong approach entirely, if the UMC isn't capable of safely handling 40A to meet the code requirements, the solution isn't to lower it to 32, but to fix the deficiencies do it can do 40 properly, I don't know if it needs beefier components, larger gauge wire, whatever. That's the part that they should have changed, not the amount of current you can use.
I agree 100%. Very sound logic, although Tesla seems to want to learn that the hard way.

I wonder just how many of the 'old UMCs' will find permanent placement at homes, cottages or work places. Gives you a convenient quick connect at a frequent destination while leaving you with the new portible cable for travel. Question... Are we obligated to send back our old UMC?

I got mine today and did a quick comparison,.

1. Old UMC has NO Canadian approval markings. Acceptable markings include CSA, cUL (NOT ULC, as mentioned in previous posts), cETL, and a few more. All of these markings refer to that testing agency's approval to the Canadian standard for that piece of equipment. As this device "plugs in" to more than 48 volts AC, it should have an approval. My suspicion is that Telsa was challenged on this.
2. The new UMC has a cUL marking - This is good
3. No approval mark on the NEMA14-50; not even a cUR, which is a component marking. That means the device is included as part of the UMC.

I speculate that the UMC , paired with the NEMA 14-50, may have exceeded a temperature threshold at 40 amps, and would only pass at 32 amps, during the testing procedure. (?) As per my previous post, I ask again for some clarity from Tesla.....

I also received mine this morning from Fedex. They just dropped it at my door and didn't wait for a signature so there is no proof they actually delivered it to me.

When I purchased the car my planning assumed 40A charging at home. If Tesla thinks the current UMC is not safe to charge at 40A then they can provide me another "safe" solution that charges at 40A or above (e.g. HPWC) at no cost.

I won't be returning anything and will not have anything in my car when I go for service.

It's not Tesla thinking it's not safe to use a UMC at 40A or a limitation of the UMC itself. The problem is that there apparently are 14-50 sockets with 40A breakers allowed in Canada.As this setup can only deliver 32A, Tesla is changing the UMC so that fire/breaker tripping is not a possibility. If you're using a UMC connected to a 14-50 socket fed with the right gauge wire and a 50A breaker, there is no issue drawing 40A.

It's not Tesla thinking it's not safe to use a UMC at 40A or a limitation of the UMC itself. The problem is that there apparently are 14-50 sockets with 40A breakers allowed in Canada.

I don't think we know that for sure. If it is just the UMC that is being tested by Underwriters Labs, then what it's plugged in to shouldn't matter.

Not legally, no. Tesla made "a reasonable effort" to ensure your safety. So they are off the hook now. Should your property catch fire (god forbid!) you can no longer sue them. That's what it is all about.

P.S. I'm returning the old one.
Probably safe to assume that the old one is fine for 32A or less. All a guess without feedback from Tesla of course. We really don't know anything about this issue for certain.

I don't think we know that for sure. If it is just the UMC that is being tested by Underwriters Labs, then what it's plugged in to shouldn't matter.

You're right and your comment is another likely scenario - Tesla went for cUL approval and couldn't get it at 40A. As another poster commented, Tesla did the right thing and sent out a certified unit, asked for the return of the original UMC and they are now off the hook.

I may remove my original UMC from the car while visiting the SC ...

I suspect the regulators got to them and they needed to cover themselves quickly. It was always quite noticeable that the UMC was not listed while the HPWC was. In the US at least, think Tesla got around it by using the grey area of claiming the EVSE as an appliance not covered by NEC.

As for suggestion for Tesla to redesign the UMC, I think they went with this "solution" because it was a quick fix (just changing the resistor and probably some software). Doing it properly will probably need a complete UMC redesign and who knows how long that will take with everything Tesla has on their plate.