Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Update Coming Next Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I think it's fair to say that instead of playing a game of "what if I had bought a car in November," you should simply listen to the people who in fact did buy a car in November. Of course some people are bothered by things that don't bother other people. I'm pretty ambivalent about my trim pieces lining up perfectly, but I'm furious about the EAP deception. Other people went apoplectic about their trim alignment, but are ambivalent about the EAP delay.

Insulting other owners for not knowing not to believe Tesla -- rather than holding Tesla accountable for their lack of honesty -- frankly seems bizarre.
Suit yourself. And I am sorry that you feel that I insulted your intelligence with my post.

See post #132, the topic was valuation and the importance of a particular CEO to their respective companies not innovation.

That's an assertion that is impossible to prove.
Let's be real if we tried to do a valuation

Musk vs Bezos
Musk vs Cook
Musk vs Zuckerburg
Musk vs Netflix CEO (Do you even know his name? I would have to Google it)
Musk vs Larry Page / Sergey Brin

I don't think its even debatable which company falls the hardest when losing their flagship CEO.
Your response was to this:
When Jobs was forced out the first time Apple nearly died. No plan B worked. I'm not sure Cook is a great counter since Apple has ceased innovating since Jobs died.
The way I read that statement is that when Apple was at a similar stage to Tesla, a key CEO leaving almost killed the company. However, by the time Cook took over, Apple was already well established, and innovation was not necessary for the survival of the company.

Tesla has not reached that stage yet.

Last edited:
Reactions: ABVA
Your response was to this:

The way I read that statement is that when Apple was at a similar stage to Tesla, a key CEO leaving almost killed the company. However, by the time Cook took over, Apple was already well established, and innovation was not necessary for the survival of the company.

Tesla has not reached that stage yet.
No, you're misunderstanding the context. He was responding to the comment I quoted above about valuation and you said:

"Market cap has almost nothing to do with innovation. Some of the most innovative companies are startups and they don't have anywhere near the market cap of established companies."

So what I'm trying to tell you is my comments were not about innovation but about what a great job Cook did in succession as a CEO. As a side note he was there managing the company as COO during the innovative periods as well. Hope that makes sense.

No, you're misunderstanding the context. He was responding to the comment I quoted above about valuation and you said:

"Market cap has almost nothing to do with innovation. Some of the most innovative companies are startups and they don't have anywhere near the market cap of established companies."

So what I'm trying to tell you is my comments were not about innovation but about what a great job Cook did in succession as a CEO. As a side note he was there managing the company as COO during the innovative periods as well. Hope that makes sense.
Nope, @croman responded to this comment (leaving only the relevant part):
That shows you what a bad CEO Musk actually is. No CEO should ever put their company in such a position. Even Jobs had a B plan with Cook. What is Musk's plan?
When Jobs was forced out the first time Apple nearly died. No plan B worked. I'm not sure Cook is a great counter since Apple has ceased innovating since Jobs died.
His point was Apple didn't need a plan B (and doesn't seem to have one) to survive without Jobs by the time Cook took over. Nothing to do with valuation of the company.

Nope, @croman responded to this comment (leaving only the relevant part):

His point was Apple didn't need a plan B (and doesn't seem to have one) to survive without Jobs by the time Cook took over. Nothing to do with valuation of the company.

I like what you are saying about the stage Tesla is in but my comment was about valuation and how jobs was instrumental to creating new products that created new markets. Tablets and smartphones were not invented by Apple but they took it to such a great place. I give credit to jobs. I see the same with Tesla and Musk.

Apple is not stagnant. It is making more money than ever, from the same type of products.

Other companies have stepped up big time, and the advances are rapidly increasing, while Apple has to run hard, just to keep up with the competition.

Look at the iPhones available now, compared to those available from Jobs. They are improved in most every way. Only the actual phone part has remained the same, as it is dependent on the cell service providers.

I like what you are saying about the stage Tesla is in but my comment was about valuation and how jobs was instrumental to creating new products that created new markets. Tablets and smartphones were not invented by Apple but they took it to such a great place. I give credit to jobs. I see the same with Tesla and Musk.
I must have misunderstood then or maybe you are referring to something else when saying "valuation" (value of the CEO?). The definition of valuation I'm using is market cap, but it seems you are using a different one.

I must have misunderstood then or maybe you are referring to something else when saying "valuation" (value of the CEO?). The definition of valuation I'm using is market cap, but it seems you are using a different one.

the context of what I was replying to was the value of the CEO to a company. Much like assessing the MVP of a team. Is it determined by the player whose most instrumental to that team or just the best player in the league. I believe it's the former.

the context of what I was replying to was the value of the CEO to a company. Much like assessing the MVP of a team. Is it determined by the player whose most instrumental to that team or just the best player in the league. I believe it's the former.
Ok, I understand the confusion now. @msnow and I were talking about market cap, while you seem to be talking about the value of a CEO.

Can we PLEAZE get back to reasoned, data-driven, completely made up and baseless predictions of when we will get the "silky smooth next month" update?

My belief:

crystal_ball_LG.jpg

June 17

And it will include access to the hidden ashtray.

Whoa, whoa, whoa. What's the "sensitive and specific" update? And why do both these updates sound suspiciously like discreet body waxing products?

Lol yes, but no, it is just a feature strongly needed on my car to be used on local roads. In my short videos, car sees no pedestrians (0/2), no roller skiers (0/1) and (4/6) cyclists. Sample is obviously to low to conclude, but increasing sensitivty&specificity is certainly the next step after they sort out lane recognition and steering jerkiness on motorways.

Guess all here know sensitivity and specificity. If not, this guy explains it really well in 1,5 minutes. In IT (image recognition) I believe one uses different terms for the same principle.