Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Update Coming Next Month

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Draft letter found by Elon Musk's dry cleaners in suit coat pocket:

December 1st, 2016

Dear valued customers:

Having told you that we expected to deliver the EAP you paid for by the end of this month, we feel a responsibility to bring you up to date on where things stand. With that date just weeks away, it's now clear that we will not be meeting your expectations and ours, and we want to apologize. While we continue to believe that your HW2 vehicle has everything it needs to provide all the announced EAP features, developing our own software from scratch turned out to be harder than we thought. We're still working around the clock, but it's now looking like months of effort will be required, and we thought you should know that now, rather than continue to focus on the December rollout we had announced and then be disappointed.

In the interest of fairness, we are refunding the payment you made for EAP. We will roll out various aspects of the system to you as soon as we can do so safely and effectively. We now hope to complete it all by the end of 2017. At that time, you will be given the opportunity to either revert to a non-AP car, or pay again - this time with a 20% discount as a gesture of thanks for your patience - and keep the EAP features.

Best regards,

Imaginary Elon Musk

NOTE: The above post is intended as satire. It was not written by Elon Musk or anyone at Tesla.

December 1st, 2016

Dear valued customers:

Having told you that we expected to deliver the EAP you paid for by the end of this month, we feel a responsibility to bring you up to date on where things stand. With that date just weeks away, it's now clear that we will not be meeting your expectations and ours, and we want to apologize. While we continue to believe that your HW2 vehicle has everything it needs to provide all the announced EAP features, developing our own software from scratch turned out to be harder than we thought. We're still working around the clock, but it's now looking like months of effort will be required, and we thought you should know that now, rather than continue to focus on the December rollout we had announced and then be disappointed.

In the interest of fairness, we are refunding the payment you made for EAP. We will roll out various aspects of the system to you as soon as we can do so safely and effectively. We now hope to complete it all by the end of 2017. At that time, you will be given the opportunity to either revert to a non-AP car, or pay again - this time with a 20% discount as a gesture of thanks for your patience - and keep the EAP features.

Best regards,

Imaginary Elon Musk

NOTE: The above post is intended as satire. It was not written by Elon Musk or anyone at Tesla.

I think you're confusing Elon Musk with Tim Cook. Elon doesn't carry a stack of apology letters for the right occasion.

• Disagree
Reactions: NerdUno
@Alex D - While I agree with some points above, your reasoning doesn't apply to everything Tesla did wrong.

"With all this info given"
Why would I buy a car that could potentially have ghosting?
Why would I buy a car that could potentially come with misalignments?
Why would I buy a car with no FSD?
Why would I buy a car with doors that don't always work as expected?

Well I bought an X and have had non of the problem you stated and fully believe I will receive FSD in the future.

I really don't believe the stock price influences what EM has to say. He had an established pattern of schedule over-optimism long before the company went public!

I do believe that he sets optimistic goals in part to motivate his employees to achieve more. But I find with software that everyone's schedule predictions are always too optimistic.

When I'm estimating software development time, I work out my number and then multiply it by a factor. My typical factor for "good programmers" is 3X. The thing is, the variance is often larger than the mean. If you hit a major roadblock, say a mysterious and random bug that you can't readily replicate, you can spin your wheels for weeks on that one single problem. I once encountered a random crash in an aircraft navigation system that happened on average twice a week, and the only debugging tool I could use was a logic analyzer with a 1000 instruction buffer. The cause was particularly obscure, requiring a truly ludicrous sequence of timing coincidences, and it took a full two months to track down.

It may not seem like it from the outside sometimes, but Tesla does achieve an incredible amount in a very short period of time.
Compare his tweets to stock price movement some time. It's hard to argue there isn't some intention there....

But you couldn't be more right. Tesla has done A LOT of things right in a short period of time. And even more things right in a longer period of time. I think there is a balance to be found though in supporting the person and the company, while still challenging then to do better with things like software bugs and timelines. Failing to deliver on those things for half a million cars will cost them dearly.

Wrong on so many levels, you're mixing up and making up facts in your head. Go back to autopilot fraud 101 I don't have the stamina to teach basic facts.

While I understand some people's frustration here, this is what I don't understand.

I'm putting myself into the position of being someone who ordered the car let's say last year November. It was announced that MobilEye and Tesla are going separate ways and Tesla is now using new hardware and their own, in development software for AP. It's also stated what they're hoping for on the design studio page, which is hopefully full parity to AP1 by the end of December and hopefully FSDC by the end of 2017, DEPENDING on regulatory approval.
With all this info given, I would have never opted in for FSDC and 80% likely would have opted in for EAP, but even that I would have been thinking about for a while. ESPECIALLY with a lease!
Everyone knows that Elon is over promising consistently, not maliciously, but to "set himself a goal, that clearly isn't reasonable, but will enable them to work 24/7 to achieve the goal and in the long run would enable the feature that was promised in record time". Definitely not within the promised time frame, but still as fast as possible.

When you read between the lines, that is exactly where we are right now and exactly what I would have expected. You need to consider how long it took MobilEye to even get to AP1 and that Tesla pretty much had to start from scratch (not really, but you know what I mean) and start over. So for almost a year developing, they got pretty far and keep exceeding as fast and as far as they can.

If you were not seeing this coming when ordering the first AP2 cars, then you were either dreaming the dream or not fully informed about your buying decision. Which both surprises me, spending that much money on a car. (Yeah, go ahead and give me that dislike, but you know I'm right somewhere deep down.)

I think I got in just at the right time, when I ordered my MS last year March, 31st. I waited out until March, 31st because I heard rumors of something new coming and also a price increase. So I figured if I lock in right at that time, I might be able to make changes to my order just in time.
I was updated for free to the refresh, I got one of the first software limited 70D's that I can use just like a 75 (I can charge safely to 97% and have the same as 90% on the 75). And I got the new center console. I'm leasing for 3 years, so by the end of the lease, all this AP back and forth is hopefully mostly sorted out. Until then I enjoy my car and don't worry about all of it.

• Funny
I invite the greedy pig to send this to all of us who were scammed.

December 1st, 2016

Dear valued customers:

Best regards,

Imaginary Elon Musk

December 1st, 2016

Dear valued customers:

Best regards,

Imaginary Elon Musk

Now that...

That would have been something. @Canuck, your opinion on that? :)

Well I bought an X and have had non of the problem you stated and fully believe I will receive FSD in the future.

But you acknowledge how many people reported them(including me). I've read about the ghosting issues before I bought the car and I still bought it and I got unlucky. I got unlucky with AP2, FWD issues, lots of misalignments etc.
By that logic I shouldn't have bought it, or I should have bought it without a windshield, doors etc. :)

Last edited:
Now that...

That would have been something. @Canuck, your opinion on that? :)

I think he forgot to mention the other note the dry cleaners found in Elon's pocket that was together with the one quoted above. It reads:

Dear Mr. Musk,
Have you gone nuts?
Signed,
Tesla's Legal Dept.

But you acknowledge how many people reported them(including me). I've read about the ghosting issues before I bought the car and I still bought it and I got unlucky. I got unlucky with AP2, FWD issues, lots of misalignments etc.
By that logic I shouldn't have bought it, or I should have bought it without a windshield, doors etc. :)

Same, my X has been nearly perfect in terms of fit/finish. No Ghosting. The FWD made some crinkling noises as they opened, but the service enter fixed it in minutes. My seats where wrinkling and they are ordering me new seats, which is crazy but ill take it.

Did you not notice the misalignment when taking delivery? How did you get unlucky w/AP2? I understand there were some issues w/FWD but my understanding is those were rectified nearly a year ago and SC's fixing the issues on early X's. Has SC not been able to fix yours?

I took delivery on Dec. 20th and have been so pleased w my P100DL that I ordered another 100D for the wife. I do realize everyone's experiences are different but mine have been nothing short of fantastic. Far surpassed my assumption prior to delivery. I have had couple issues: FWD squeaking and self presenting doors stop working but both were fixed. On a side note, my 2014 McLaren 12C had many more issues than my tesla experience and even my Ferrari 458 wasn't w/o it's issues. I never have anticipated any of my vehicles to be w/o fault and maybe that's why I'm pleased.

Reactions: rathjebaxter
Tesla browser
I wish tesla browser was made like iPhone / android phone browsers. Where if there is a phone number on a website when you tap it the car will use your connected blue tooth phone to make a call to that number.
Or if there was an address on the website, when tapping it the tesla navigation will take over and direct you to that address.

Reactions: SeminoleFSU
Isn't the reason Tesla thought AP2 parity would happen in December was because they were planning on having a Mobieye chip used during a transition period while Tesla had time to develop their own software?

Exactly right. Only problem was that they never corrected their representations once they knew they couldn't include the Mobileye hardware and software.

Reactions: oktane
Did you not notice the misalignment when taking delivery?
Car was delivered to my place. SC was too far away and we tried to say something but the drivers said it's not their job and we should talk to the SC. Some issues were fixed others not. After a month things started to fail, and so on.

But this is not the problem. The issue is that some users say that we should have not bought EAP in Nov, Dec, Jan because it was not available and it won't be delivered in time. If the same logic applies to other issues, some small, like misalignments and some big, ghosting, no one would have bought a Tesla with doors, windshield and so on. We bought it because we believed things will be fixed/updated in a timely matter. In some cases they were fixed, in other cases we are still waiting for a fix.

Let's be real if we tried to do a valuation

Musk vs Bezos
Musk vs Cook
Musk vs Zuckerburg
Musk vs Netflix CEO (Do you even know his name? I would have to Google it)
Musk vs Larry Page / Sergey Brin

I don't think its even debatable which company falls the hardest when losing their flagship CEO.
Might have said that about Steve Jobs.. but didnt happen. (Yet?)

Might have said that about Steve Jobs.. but didnt happen. (Yet?)

By the time Steve Jobs passed away, Apple already had a huge and insurmountable moat in iOS and the GDP of a hundred countries in cash.

No pressure on Cook at all to innovate from Day 1.

Tesla might lose half its market cap overnight if something happened to Musk.

By the time Steve Jobs passed away, Apple already had a huge and insurmountable moat in iOS and the GDP of a hundred countries in cash.

No pressure on Cook at all to innovate from Day 1.

Tesla might lose half its market cap overnight if something happened to Musk.
Not if they put in a great manager as Jobs did with Cook. Based on what I see from Elon, he's far more interested in his other projects anyway.