Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New upgrade available - Enhanced Autopilot [same EAP as previously offered -- Europe only for now]

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I wish Tesla let us purchase AP features as standalone options. It doesn't make manufacturing any harder for them. FSD and AP feature changes have to do with software, not hardware, and I struggle to see how it would hurt sales.

EAC? Is that a new acronym for a feature set available on and off for USDM cars and in different forms since 2017? The feature known as EAP (Enhanced AutoPilot?)

Good thing they decided to offer this easy cash grab across the EU and periphery, even if 2 years late.

Reactions: MorrisonHiker
I corrected the acronym

I purchased EAP when they had the end of Q3 2020 flash sale ($4K). Upgrading to full FSD would cost me $5K right now (it was initially $6K). As with all things Tesla, pricing is subject to change.
Thanks, meant EAP! Okay makes sense, was worried that I’d buy EAP if they offered it in the US again and then would have to pay $10k for FSD later

I wish Tesla let us purchase AP features as standalone options. It doesn't make manufacturing any harder for them. FSD and AP feature changes have to do with software, not hardware, and I struggle to see how it would hurt sales.
Because most people would just buy the specific feature they wanted and Tesla would profit less overall. It's a common strategy called bundling.
Product bundling - Wikipedia
They also want to avoid the "too many choices" trap.
Overchoice - Wikipedia

Also before you make the claim that Tesla is missing out, given you would have bought a feature instead of skipping out on the whole package, keep in mind that for the people that do end up buying a package, most likely there are multiple features they would not have bought if they could have bought ala carte. That makes up for the people who would skipped out on the package. This is of course balanced by demand for the whole package. In this case demand for FSD was too little, so they release a smaller package to entice people. They really would have to have a low take rate of even this to move to ala carte.

Reactions: jjrandorin and KenC
...most likely there are multiple features they would not have bought if they could have bought a la carte.

When I bought EAP, it was mainly for NoAP and I thought that Summon would be at best a party trick.
  • NoAP has been a disappointment and barely gets used
  • Although lane change gets used heavily
  • Dumb Summon gets used every day to park my car in the tight-fit garage (and pull out of course).

Problem is when you bundle too much and becomes a 10k USD option, it deters many people from pulling the trigger especially it is still beta-ish. The sweet spot is the Enhanced AP for another 4-5k USD similar to the UK offering and a la carte the rest.

It appears the take rate for the 10k option is sufficiently high in the US that it's not deterring that many people- otherwise they'd be offering EAP again worldwide, not just in the markets FSD sales are low.

Tesla obviously has vastly not specific data than we do on who is buying what at what rate