Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New wheels: P3D 20" vs 19" SSR GTX01 with 265's

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
255/40/19 might rub the front aluminum upright unless you use a spacer.

Beastmode13 ran that size and had rubbing issues.

View attachment 412012

Quick photo at some random street where my kid is playing soccer. I’ve 255/40/19 PS4S tires, they are 12mm taller compare to stock tires. This translate to 6mm higher ground clearance and 6mm shorter tire/wheel well gap, even with stock suspension.

Depends on the brake you have, with P3 red calipers you will need 3mm spacer to get clearance. With the silver caliper, you will be fine. Without the 3mm spacer, it will rub, see photos attached. Red caliper brakes have rotor hat what is only 2.5mm thick, while the siliver caliper brakes have rotor hat that is ~7mm thick, this effectively changes the offset of the wheel.

View attachment 413290 View attachment 413292

The rub was documented by me on some other thread and resolved in February before the MPP install. To sum it up, it was caused by the taller profile of my 255/40/19 PS4S on stock P3 rotor, which could be remedied with 3mm wheel spacer or complete brake upgrade.

Last edited:
I have RWD and thinking of going offset +21 on 19x9 wheels.

Honestly I think that might work in the rear but up front that sounds a bit aggressive to me. Up front I think you would need around a +26 offset in 9" at most.

Ideally the 9" +30 seems like the best setup so you can rotate. The rear suspension will produce negative camber under compression but the front doesn't seem to have much dynamic camber throughout the suspension stroke. Therefore it's important that you get the front offsets correct or you'll need to get camber arms.

Which wheel are you looking into?

Honestly I think that might work in the rear but up front that sounds a bit aggressive to me. Up front I think you would need around a +26 offset in 9" at most.

Ideally the 9" +30 seems like the best setup so you can rotate. The rear suspension will produce negative camber under compression but the front doesn't seem to have much dynamic camber throughout the suspension stroke. Therefore it's important that you get the front offsets correct or you'll need to get camber arms.

Which wheel are you looking into?

I'm getting Signature wheels with staggered offset +30 front and +21 rear on 19x9 wheels. Tire rotation is bit spendy for this setup but would get deep concave and flush to fender look.

I just want to find out from 255/35/19 runners to see if comfort is lost going from 40 sidewall.

I'm going to add coilover and lower the car, hence thinking 255/35 as I don't have lower much on coilover with this tire option as it already drops by .4' compared to stock. Closer to P3D+ height.

Again, I don't recommend it. 255/35/19 is shorter than stock. Either go the same or go taller. if you run a shorter tire you'll need to lower the car more or the fender gap above the tire will look really bad. It's counter intuitive. i think your logic is skewed.

Again, I don't recommend it. 255/35/19 is shorter than stock. Either go the same or go taller. if you run a shorter tire you'll need to lower the car more or the fender gap above the tire will look really bad. It's counter intuitive. i think your logic is skewed.
Agreed, smaller rolling diameter than stock is going to look disproportionate to the size of the car.

Well I finally got the car lowered and snapped some more pics. Check it out.

If anyone has questions regarding my Ohlins coilovers or wheels I'm happy to answer and point you in the right direction.

Model 3 SSR GTX01 sunol.jpg Model 3 SSR GTX01 sunol-2.jpg SSR GTX01 Model 3.jpg SSR GTX01 Model 3-2.jpg SSR GTX01 Model 3-4.jpg SSR GTX01 Model 3-5.jpg SSR GTX01 Model 3-6.jpg SSR GTX01 Model 3-7.jpg

this looks really good. what other 10 spoke jdm were you considering? i was looking at some ze40’s but i’m not sure face-2 profile is concave enough.

I know people at Mackin Industries and Work Wheels also, just FYI. ZE40 is nice if you want to pay that kind of money but sadly I just don't see the right fitment for our cars. 19" sizing is very limited so ZE40 is a no go imo. Work ZR10 would be super cool for a flow form wheel. Depending on your trim they have both +38 and +30.

Status
Not open for further replies.