Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New windscreen fitted - Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Some more updates about Camera Calibration:
I booked a Camera Calibration with a Tesla Service Centre and they called me back with in 10mins and said, Autoglass don't know what they are talking about and I myself can simply carry out the calibration from within the car using the Camera Calibration option and then drive the car for about 10 miles...SORTED!
Trust me, auto glass won’t allow this. I confirmed this over the phone with Tesla and then autoglass refused to accept this.
I then drove from autoglass in Leeds to the Leeds SC. Was told to simply press the button and it’s done. I left Leeds SC, few days later,phone call from Autoglass. Insisted I booked in for a recalibration. Wasted another day trip to Leeds.

When I queried this with AG they said that they wouldn't warranty their work unless Tesla confirmed the calibration.

I booked into Edinburgh SC who said that the calibration isn't just software. They check the actual yaw/pitch of the cameras too.
Sorry to hear you have to drive out again to make AG happy!

Since when has a camera calibration got anything to do with the glass installed and workmanship? - I thought the software update that now includes the "auto calibrate cameras" checks the cameras inc the pitch and yaw check. Tesla put this on for this purpose. To make it easier for the end user so no more road trips to get it checked.

You dont lose your warranty on your UPVC windows at home because you didn't hang the nets & curtains!

AG need to keep upto date

Since when has a camera calibration got anything to do with the glass installed and workmanship? - I thought the software update that now includes the "auto calibrate cameras" checks the cameras inc the pitch and yaw check. Tesla put this on for this purpose. To make it easier for the end user so no more road trips to get it checked.
I think there's a physical pivot for the camera within the housing, not motorised so not adjustable by software. That was the explanation I received anyway.

During my installation AG managed to cut a wire for the humidity sensor which is located behind the rear view mirror. This resulted in no heating available so I had to get that repaired by the service centre anyway. Complete faff but the upshot of it is, there just aren't enough 3rd parties who have the tools, know how or access to work on these cars. Really hope this improves before warranties start to expire.

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
Sorry to hear you have to drive out again to make AG happy!

You dont lose your warranty on your UPVC windows at home because you didn't hang the nets & curtains!

AG need to keep upto date

I just got back from Autoglass. According to the technician (for lack of a better word) they have to setup targets in the workshop, then Tesla remotely connect to the car and calibrate it so it all lines up with the targets. Autoglass then take it for a drive while the software finishes the calibration, then Tesla remotely connect again to check.

Unfortunately I still think autosteer is too far to the left, so I will ask Tesla to take a look too while it's in the service centre.

• Informative
Reactions: davidmc
Just an update, I had my Windscreen fitted, but it came without the Logo!

Top: Original
Bottom: New

20210905_101253.jpg

I seem to have finally joined the "busted windscreen" party today.

Driving towards London on the M3 south of Bracknell this afternoon a big fat black bird clearly had some difficulty crossing the motorway lanes, struggled over the car in front and to my right and banged into my screen pretty much directly ahead of my face turning my half of the windscreen into a mass of crazed cracks. There seemed to be a "puff" of powder that dusted fine glass "dust" onto the steering wheel and me!

I was, unusually for me, just poodling along at circa 60mph as I wasn't in a hurry and I could see the bird but not do a darned thing about it. I think my reduced speed worked in my favour - any faster and the bird might have punched a hole in the glass - as it was I just got the "crazy glazing" (if it rains I'll find out the hard way if there's a leak :( )

Not sure how NoA got knocked out (I might have moved the steering wheel in surprise?) but I could reselect it and carried on at a reduced speed. Managed to get to my destination in daylight and had a shufty at Churchill website for screen replacement.

Churchill only offer Autoglass and because of "Tesla" only offered three awkward fitting centres in West London and back at home in Southampton (NW Southampton, Portsmouth and Isle of Wight !!!) All of which only had available booking dates from at least 2 weeks ahead! You need to select a centre for doing the fitting to proceed with the claim.

I'm getting AA Relay to take me back home to Southampton on Sunday morning and will be hoping I can get a replacement screen sooner from *somewhere*? Any ideas?

Anyone got an idea if replacement is possible and cost from Tesla Winchester?
Presumably if I go that route I'll need to book it through the App? (and forget insurance)

I had mine done by Autoglass at their Slough branch. Seems more of their branches are supporting the calibration needed. In the end it took two visits - one for the windscreen replacement then a second for the calibration as they have limited staff for that part and they couldn’t get an appointment quickly. Thought it better to get the glass replaced and just avoid autopilot until it was calibrated. although the car did let me select it and it seemed all lined up (did a quick test)

Update on my broken windscreen, or rather no update. :(

So the AA got me back to Southampton on a relay truck. I chased Churchill insurance who pushed me straight onto Autoglass.
Web access didn't help much so I phoned Autoglass and they said they'd order the glass and keep me informed - but haven't done other than replying to my weekly calls for progress.

I'm just shy of 3 weeks since the screen was busted and Autoglass have *still* not obtained a replacement screen and clearly cannot set up an appointment for fitting until they do. Due to the damage I can't drive the car anywhere - including anywhere to get it fixed.
I found a local car transporter company that could take me 4 miles to the Autoglass place in Hedge-End (for £50).

Fortunately, so far there's been very little rain and what there has been has not leaked into the car ... yet.
See picture of what happened to the glass when a big fat blackbird bounced off my windscreen.

TinTin bust screen.JPG

Only afterwards you think that could have been a whole lot worse if it had managed to punch through the glass!

Has anyone else managed to need and get their windscreen replaced this year?

Yes mine was fairly painless although they tried to repair first and then it failed. Took about 10 days to get the screen in then drove to the Slough autoglass branch to fit, then went back the week after for a calibration.

Finally an update from AutoGlass ... but its bad news

We are unable to book an appointment for your windscreen due to a global shortage of Tesla glass. We will send you an update by the end of this week. Autoglass

It'll be 4 weeks, come Saturday, that my screen busted and the car became undriveable :(
On the plus side, untouched and unplugged in my driveway for the past 10 days, its only lost 1% or 4 miles of charge :rolleyes:

Autoglass replaced my screen in my driveway last year - no real drama, although I think I had to wait about 10 days for them to get the glass. Fortunately the car was driveable in the meantime - it was replaced because of an awkwardly placed chip. There was confusion over whether calibration was required. In the end they decided it was (some 2 weeks after fitting) and I got it done at the Tesla Heathrow service centre. I guess the current shortage of glass just joins the apparent shortage of many Tesla parts.

So I've had my M3LR for a couple weeks and got a small chip the other day....

Have had a bit of a tough time working out whether autoglass can/can't do a chip repair. Seems they can so they're coming tonight but I did learn some stuff in the meantime:

1) Directline said that they are aware of the delay with autoglass and getting new windshields, and as such they said I was ok to go ahead and get it done at a Tesla service centre and they'd cover it.

2) This would have been great, if it weren't for the fact that as it turns out Tesla apparently has no stock of glass in Europe currently and would not be able to replace the windshield within a month.

So it seems like if you do need a windshield replacement, you're going to be waiting for some time, but there's also no benefit to getting it done via tesla instead of autoglass as they both have substantial wait times.

I'm crossing my fingers the chip repair goes ok cause damn I do not want to be waiting a month or more

i had mine repaired. It then cracked a couple of weeks later spontaneously but I think that was just bad luck - the glass itself shouldn't be special.

Took two visits - one to replace the glass, another for a calibration visit. Both at Autoglass branch

Its now 5 weeks since my screen busted and Autoglass ordered some glass and they've still not got any glass available yet with no clue as to when they might get some in. :(

As mine is undriveable I'm seeing how long it goes without charging or touching the car.
After 3 weeks of mostly sleep but waking up every 24 hours for 11 minutes at a time (according to TeslaFi) I've just had my first instance of a 48-hour sleep followed by the usual 11 minute wake up.
Over 23 days its dropped 3% and 10.7 miles from the last charge to 90%.