Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New windscreen fitted - Model 3.

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just to add, Autoglass contacted me again today to say that they can now do the calibration at one of their workshops, there was a list of about 10. I'm already booked into West Drayton so they will pick up the tab there.

For anyone else getting a replacement it might be worth probing a bit more, if there is a convenient location to you I bet they can replace the glass and calibrate at the same time.

3 weeks I got a chip on my car so I called Direct Line who told me to call their AutoGlass number. I spoke to them and said I wanted an original Telsa windscreen and they said they don't fit original windscreens and said if I wanted one I would have to pay the cost difference, I agreed.

That was 3 weeks ago, I called them last week to check what the delay is, and I was told its still with the quotes dept. I don't mind the wait as more this screen gets used, the better, but I don't want to hit a pot hole and the 3cm crack becomes 30cms!

Lets see how things go and what the actual price difference will be 😕
My Autoglass replacement windscreen has a Tesla logo on it.

My Autoglass replacement windscreen has a Tesla logo on it.
Could you please tell me if your new screen has all these numbers and all on it? (its a photo of my windscreen bottom corner)

If its a full fledged Tesla original screen, that's brilliant and I might tell them to fit what ever they are offering.

tesla screen logo.PNG

I would be going for it anyway! Do you have information that suggests Tesla glass has a better reputation than anyone else's?
I am only a bit concerned by using a autoglass provided screen because my last BMW's original windscreen was fine for 4 years, I even drove twice past 2 grit trucks and close behind cars on the motorways for about 70,0000 miles, and I didn't notice any damage to the screen, then one day it had to be replaced due to stone chip with what Autoglass provided screen, I then one day drove past a grit truck and I wish I didn't, as there were tiny little chips on the entire windscreen screen. So in my first hand experience, there is definitely a quality difference...

I am only a bit concerned by using a autoglass provided screen because my last BMW's original windscreen was fine for 4 years, I even drove twice past 2 grit trucks and close behind cars on the motorways for about 70,0000 miles, and I didn't notice any damage to the screen, then one day it had to be replaced due to stone chip with what Autoglass provided screen, I then one day drove past a grit truck and I wish I didn't, as there were tiny little chips on the entire windscreen screen. So in my first hand experience, there is definitely a quality difference...
You may well be right but I tend to think it’s luck of the draw with regards to stuff hitting the screen. If you’ve got a cheap old banger that you don’t care about the stones tend to bounce off without damage… but drive for a couple of days in your brand new pride and joy and it gets a nick at the first suggestion of a stone impact!

I just called Autoglass to tell them to fit what ever they fit by default, but at the same time I was told that they managed to get a quote for the original Tesla windscreen, so it would be £80 excess + £350 extra for the windscreen :oops: I would imagine may be £100 on top and I could have just got it replaced at Tesla...not sure. Any how, I am booked in now, and hopefully I get a T logo.

Just some info. for future members if they use Autoglass and wonder if they can also re-calibrate the camera:

Autoglass:

"We can now completed the calibration in some of our sites, below is the list of the locations that can currently carry out this work."

LONDONCe Borehamwood
SoutheastCe Guildford
EastCe Peterborough
EastCe Bedford
LONDONCe Slough South
EastCe Chelmsford
EastCe Norwich
CENTRALCe Birmingham
LONDONCe Queensbury
SoutheastCe Rochester

Reactions: Nick77
When the chip happened:

The morning after, this was during the heat wave last week:

Autoglass Peterborough fitted this yesterday:

It "only" cost me £75 through my insurance, Direct Line. Tesla quoted £900 to replace it.

Based on impee's post above I assume they calibrated it. Over the phone a few days before the appointment they told me they'd speak to Tesla about the clibration, but they didn't call me back or mention it so I guess they've done it. I'm going to call to confirm though.

Update:
I spoke to Tesla Milton Keynes service centre and they said Autoglass have to do the calibration. They've told all the big windscreen companies how to calibrate it and they need to do the calibration as they replaced the windscreen.

I spoke to Autoglass and they did not calibrate it, as it was not booked in for calibration, just a replacement. They've booked in to be calibrated next week and basically confirmed what impee posted about being able to calibrate it at certain locations, but they haven't smoothed out the logistics yet so it wasn't automatically flagged to be done yesterday when it should have been.

Last edited:
When the chip happened:

The morning after, this was during the heat wave last week:

Autoglass Peterborough fitted this yesterday:

It "only" cost me £75 through my insurance, Direct Line. Tesla quoted £900 to replace it.

Based on impee's post above I assume they calibrated it. Over the phone a few days before the appointment they told me they'd speak to Tesla about the clibration, but they didn't call me back or mention it so I guess they've done it. I'm going to call to confirm though.

Update:
I spoke to Tesla Milton Keynes service centre and they said Autoglass have to do the calibration. They've told all the big windscreen companies how to calibrate it and they need to do the calibration as they replaced the windscreen.

I spoke to Autoglass and they did not calibrate it, as it was not booked in for calibration, just a replacement. They've booked in to be calibrated next week and basically confirmed what impee posted about being able to calibrate it at certain locations, but they haven't smoothed out the logistics yet so it wasn't automatically flagged to be done yesterday when it should have been.
Exactly the same part number and approval reference as mine, only I'm missing the Tesla logo.

Just some info. for future members if they use Autoglass and wonder if they can also re-calibrate the camera:

Autoglass:

"We can now completed the calibration in some of our sites, below is the list of the locations that can currently carry out this work."

LONDONCe Borehamwood
SoutheastCe Guildford
EastCe Peterborough
EastCe Bedford
LONDONCe Slough South
EastCe Chelmsford
EastCe Norwich
CENTRALCe Birmingham
LONDONCe Queensbury
SoutheastCe Rochester
Clearly Tesla windscreens never need replacing in North. Go figure.

As for chips my original OEM screen got gritted this winter and several tiny chips. The Tesla OEM’s no better than anyone else’s, if not worse. Given Saint Gobain probably make 1/2 the windscreens in the world they’re probably all the same anyway.

I had very bad experiences with non-Tesla windscreen replacements (wasn’t with auto glass though).
The first windscreen had distortions on the bottom of the screen which made it look like the car was sucking in the road markings. It looked really wired and I couldn’t stand looking at it. They’ve replaced the windscreen and the second screen was even worse. Now they had some distortions on the side as well. I was told that having distortions in the windscreen are rare but getting two windscreens with distortions, they’ve never heard of that.

Anyway the 3rd windscreen they’ve fitted was an original Tesla one and that has no problems.

Autoglass:

LONDONCe Borehamwood
SoutheastCe Guildford
EastCe Peterborough
EastCe Bedford
LONDONCe Slough South
EastCe Chelmsford
EastCe Norwich
CENTRALCe Birmingham
LONDONCe Queensbury
SoutheastCe Rochester

Some more updates about Camera Calibration:
I booked a Camera Calibration with a Tesla Service Centre and they called me back with in 10mins and said, Autoglass don't know what they are talking about and I myself can simply carry out the calibration from within the car using the Camera Calibration option and then drive the car for about 10 miles...SORTED!

Reactions: Roy W.
I booked a Camera Calibration with a Tesla Service Centre and they called me back with in 10mins and said, Autoglass don't know what they are talking about and I myself can simply carry out the calibration from within the car using the Camera Calibration option and then drive the car for about 10 miles...SORTED!
When I queried this with AG they said that they wouldn't warranty their work unless Tesla confirmed the calibration.

I booked into Edinburgh SC who said that the calibration isn't just software. They check the actual yaw/pitch of the cameras too.

Having had my windscreen replaced by Autoglass now been informed by the service centre that it's fitted too low.

As a result the gap to the roof is too big, and the cowling is crushed at the bottom.

Time for screen #3 in 2 years!

Which Service Center? Tesla aren’t being consistent, mine went in last week to West Drayton for calibration without comment. Before calibration it sat to the left of the lane, now it sits in the middle.

This was the Gatwick Service Centre, however I have just heard back from Autoglass (as below), so have booked my glass replacement and calibration from there. Its miles away from where I live, but this at least it saves me driving around from Autoglass to Tesla trying to get this sorted.

"As part of the windscreen replacement a forward-facing camera pitch verification must be performed before any drive cycle is performed as stated in the Tesla Workshop Manual on page 17 point 31. This information was taken directly from the Tesla Portal."