Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

New Y software vastly outdated

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Just pick up my wife's MYLR yesterday (9 Dec). Got it added to my Teslafi account before we left Tesla so I can track every mile. The car currently has version 2021.35.103. Interesting thing is, it had 2021.36.8.8 as of 5 Dec and this older version was installed just before we took delivery.

Anyone had any luck submitting a service request to get a software push? Setting is on advanced and the car is connected to WiFi so I'm good there.

Just pick up my wife's MYLR yesterday (9 Dec). Got it added to my Teslafi account before we left Tesla so I can track every mile. The car currently has version 2021.35.103. Interesting thing is, it had 2021.36.8.8 as of 5 Dec and this older version was installed just before we took delivery.

Anyone had any luck submitting a service request to get a software push? Setting is on advanced and the car is connected to WiFi so I'm good there.

You will almost assuredly be told "you have the latest software for your car at this time" like they tell everyone who attempts to get them to push software.

Reactions: Tezlowski
Upvote 0
New cars are always delivered with older, new vehicle specific software. It can take up to 1 month to receive your first update and start rolling with everyone else. It's usually closer to 2 weeks.
Been over a month since I took delivery and still on 2021.35.102.

Have it set to advanced and Wi-Fi coverage is excellent in my driveway.

Upvote 0

This has been discussed a lot, so you can find more detailed info by searching the forum, but in summary... You can not do anything (including calling or submitting a service request) to get an update faster. New cars come with a stable factory version of the software. You will have this version for anywhere from 2-8 weeks approximately. You will eventually get your update and there is nothing wrong with the vehicle or update process.

Upvote 0
Been over a month since I took delivery and still on 2021.35.102.

Have it set to advanced and Wi-Fi coverage is excellent in my driveway.
Of course Tesla is very opaque with all of this so we don't know the exact details. Personally, after 1 month (I've also heard you need some amount of miles, over 1k? no idea if this is true) I would just ask service in the app. Should only take them a few minutes to check. But a new vehicle can get "stuck" with the undelivered checkmark in it software, so it will never seek an update. But I have heard of it taking longer than a month for some people.

Reactions: K5TRX
Upvote 0
Of course Tesla is very opaque with all of this so we don't know the exact details. Personally, after 1 month (I've also heard you need some amount of miles, over 1k? no idea if this is true) I would just ask service in the app. Should only take them a few minutes to check. But a new vehicle can get "stuck" with the undelivered checkmark in it software, so it will never seek an update. But I have heard of it taking longer than a month for some people.
I understand that people want the newest software, but contacting them is not necessary. If you received your car in the last two months then it is normal to have a factory software version and there is nothing for them to check. If you ask them they will tell you that you are on the current software version for your vehicle, which is true. The mileage has nothing to do with the updates. The updates are sent out in batches when they are supposed to. I waited almost two months for my first update which is normal. Your updates will come when they come. Now of course if you have been waiting for several months and no one else is on the same software version there may be an issue... but generally the issue is simply patience. Not what people want to hear, but true.

Reactions: K5TRX and MikeR99
Upvote 0
I understand that people want the newest software, but contacting them is not necessary. If you received your car in the last two months then it is normal to have a factory software version and there is nothing for them to check. If you ask them they will tell you that you are on the current software version for your vehicle, which is true. The mileage has nothing to do with the updates. The updates are sent out in batches when they are supposed to. I waited almost two months for my first update which is normal. Your updates will come when they come. Now of course if you have been waiting for several months and no one else is on the same software version there may be an issue... but generally the issue is simply patience. Not what people want to hear, but true.

I wonder why they go out in batches though? I mean the beauty of Over the Air Updates is they can push an update to everyone easily and for little effort. Why batch the outgoing updates at all? Why not just push it to everyone at once? 🤔

Upvote 0
"Patience" is great advice if all that's needed is a new feature. As someone stuck on the same firmware, though, there is a known bug.

The speakers do not function after the car is used following Sentry mode being activated. Apparently the speaker system is not awakened correctly after Sentry deactivates. In order to get the speakers to reconnect, a soft reset is required.

A soft reset sounds like a minor issue, except it can happen several times a day and it's only discoverable while driving, at which time it's not at all safe to perform the reset (lose the display, audio cues, ability to access and activate vehicle controls).

A new car with a non-functioning stereo is a problem deeper than impatience for the next new feature.

Apparently the bug is fixed in the next firmware update. Since it's a known issue with an established fix, I've asked to have the update (any update!) rolled out. So far, service advisors and Tesla engineering have said no. I'm on my seventh week of waiting, since delivery.

Upvote 0
I wonder why they go out in batches though? I mean the beauty of Over the Air Updates is they can push an update to everyone easily and for little effort. Why batch the outgoing updates at all? Why not just push it to everyone at once? 🤔
Because if there's a bug, they can catch it before it gets to everyone and stop the rollout until the bug is addressed.

I agree with you, But for new people that don't know and spent a good chunk of change on this car, service spending a couple minutes to communicate with them that nothing is wrong is probably worth the time.

Reactions: K5TRX and cgell
Upvote 0
I agree with you, But for new people that don't know and spent a good chunk of change on this car, service spending a couple minutes to communicate with them that nothing is wrong is probably worth the time.
True in the case of people who don’t know, and there is nothing wrong with them calling the service center. That being said, as long as we’re here discussing it, the people reading the discussion may as well take the advice rather than reading it and calling anyway.

Reactions: DirtyT3sla
Upvote 0
"Patience" is great advice if all that's needed is a new feature. As someone stuck on the same firmware, though, there is a known bug.

The speakers do not function after the car is used following Sentry mode being activated. Apparently the speaker system is not awakened correctly after Sentry deactivates. In order to get the speakers to reconnect, a soft reset is required.

A soft reset sounds like a minor issue, except it can happen several times a day and it's only discoverable while driving, at which time it's not at all safe to perform the reset (lose the display, audio cues, ability to access and activate vehicle controls).

A new car with a non-functioning stereo is a problem deeper than impatience for the next new feature.

Apparently the bug is fixed in the next firmware update. Since it's a known issue with an established fix, I've asked to have the update (any update!) rolled out. So far, service advisors and Tesla engineering have said no. I'm on my seventh week of waiting, since delivery.
That is annoying to have to deal with. Especially after getting a new car. But for now your only option really may be patience. You can also turn off sentry mode until you get an update - I know it’s not ideal, but at least it fixes the audio for now. Good luck!

Upvote 0

Yeah I'm in the same boat. its been over a month since I bought the car i dealt with the issue above for a week until i finally disabled sentry mode. I still fight with connection problems with the radio but for the most part turning off sentry mode is an ok fix for now. But yeah i also came here to understand why im so outdated as well. On one hand im happy to see someone dealing with the exact same issues but its very strange to see people all on different versions of the software.

Upvote 0