Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie Options Trading

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
One must factor in the initial cost though. For example, for a single 200 vs. 230 call in your chart , the 200 provides a greater payout (I am using the payoff at Jan15). However, one can buy more 230 calls for the same initial cost (1.4ish (just eyeballing it) of them vs. 1 for the 200 call). Thus, the overall payoff is greater for the 230 calls. This is amplified even more at the June 2014 point in your chart where the 260 calls look like the net greatest payoff (just eyeballing it).

With this recent plunge in TSLA, I was looking at possibly selling some puts: I'd be happy to pick up some stock, especially if I'm paid for it! The price for $195 Jan 2016 was $50/share today — should this option be exercised, that's a net buy at $145/share, which seems pretty good price. Assuming TSLA goes back up, I could buy the option back at a later point and lock in profit. It looks like there's volume, so it's likely to sell.

What am I missing? The only downside I see is that the return isn't great if I hold to expiration, but that's not too likely.

I've posted a bit about selling puts. The community here in general has a higher risk tolerance than I so there hasn't been much feedback. However, for me, the risk/reward fits the portion of my portfolio that I want to preserve specifically for a future house payment, while earning some interest at the same time.

I've sold puts and bought back twice now. This week I sold 1 put for January 2015 180 Strike Price. I will either buy these back for 0 - 50% of the price I paid for them, or buy 100 shares in January at an effective price of $153 (was paid $27.00 for the put) - both of which are acceptable outcomes for me. The first two times I successfully bought back my puts for 50% of what I paid for them after just weeks of time. Margin cost could be significant, but I never use margin so I barely consider this effect.

I have also sold puts for CSIQ, which at what I thought was an opportune time, but now it looks like I will tripling my exposure in the near future. At least I was paid to do so! An acceptable outcome for me. Having all the option premium on your side is a very nice thing.

The problem with writing puts is it ties up a lot of capital or margin. But for that fact, I agree that writing puts is a good bull strategy: you've got time decay on your side, and the worst that can happen is that you end up owning TSLA shares at a discounted price (when you take into account the option premium you received).

Depending on your brokerage, you can solve much of the capital use problem by using a bull put spread: you write a put at strike price X and buy another put at strike price (X-Y) for the same expiration date. You maximum loss is now Y, so that's all the capital that this strategy ties up (assuming your brokerage allows you to execute such spreads).

So, for example, if I wrote a 220 25APR PUT and bought a 200 25APR PUT, at current prices I'd receive $13.60 and pay $7.20, netting $6.40 in premium. My maximum loss is 220-200 = $20, my maximum gain is to keep the $6.40 net premium (which is a solid rate of return on $20 invested for 3 weeks: 32%). If TSLA closes at or above $220 - $6.40 = $213.60 on April 25, I come out making money.

Compare this strategy to writing a naked 220 25APR PUT. You receive $13.60, but your maximum loss is $220 (which your broker will set aside from cash or margin). Your maximum return is therefore $13.60/220 = 6%, and you have a much bigger downside. The benefit is that the break-even price is lower: you make money as long as TSLA closes at or above $220 - $13.60 = $206.40.

You can adjust this strategy by changing the gap (Y) between the puts and the strike price (X). Keep in mind, though, that the bid/ask spread and transactions costs begin to chip away at your potential profit.

Be aware that writing any significant number of short term PUTs is a good way to go broke on a significant dip, like the one TSLA has had over the last few weeks. Robert notes how to mitigate potential losses, but still, if you sold more PUTs with a spread because each spread tied up less margin/capital, you can go just as broke. Unlike CALLs, where you're giving up potential profit, but the worse case is you effectively sold at the CALL strike + premium.

I prefer on dips to just buy calls (control the risk with the strike); then on local peaks, sell the calls against an already long position. Especially if you are in a long term hold and just want to dampen some of the big swings. Personal preferences though- but for me it fits better with my bull-headedness :)

I'm moving my account from Scottrade to TDameritrade and i've been hesitant to initiate the move because I don't like having my account locked up during the move. At this moment i'm only holding shares of TSLA, no options. How would others here handle this? I've thought about selling, transferring cash then re-buying my position but that could work against me obviously. The other idea is to buy some short to medium term options then sell shares and move cash, sell options and buy back shares...or, move everything as is and use options to cover my position if necessary? I've been told it will take 7-10 days.

I'm moving my account from Scottrade to TDameritrade and i've been hesitant to initiate the move because I don't like having my account locked up during the move. At this moment i'm only holding shares of TSLA, no options. How would others here handle this? I've thought about selling, transferring cash then re-buying my position but that could work against me obviously. The other idea is to buy some short to medium term options then sell shares and move cash, sell options and buy back shares...or, move everything as is and use options to cover my position if necessary? I've been told it will take 7-10 days.
I'm surprised they can't do a transfer in kind. I want to say I managed that with a rollover at one point but I guess that was all mutual funds. The truth is I thought it was trickier because they were mutual funds and that stock would be easy.

So kenliles, when you have your stock replacement strategy going forward it assumes steady growth over time so that you can roll up and out the LEAPs as they get nearer or ITM. On obvious peaks one might also convert them to stocks etc. But let's assume you thought the market correction was temporary, but now are starting to guess that it may be a bigger and longer correction. What do you do? Just bite the bullet taking the LEAP losses for the nearer year and moving that to stocks? Or just ignore? As if this slump and correction takes ~ half a year, then it will impact the LEAPs significantly and they need to recover far higher to get back to the same cost basis...

So kenliles, when you have your stock replacement strategy going forward it assumes steady growth over time so that you can roll up and out the LEAPs as they get nearer or ITM. On obvious peaks one might also convert them to stocks etc. But let's assume you thought the market correction was temporary, but now are starting to guess that it may be a bigger and longer correction. What do you do? Just bite the bullet taking the LEAP losses for the nearer year and moving that to stocks? Or just ignore? As if this slump and correction takes ~ half a year, then it will impact the LEAPs significantly and they need to recover far higher to get back to the same cost basis...

yep- this is the toughest call for Bullish on a stock while Bearish on the market (ala Apple in 2008). If you really believe the market is correcting for the next months (and TSLA with it as we've seen), then it depends on how you've structured the LEAPS relative to the time frame of that market correction.
The goal is to protect the 'stock' position over the long haul, but realize a higher return than the stock position would generate.
Option 1: Simply move back to stock over the market-bleed-time (especially if you are completely uncertain as to the Bearish time frame induced by the market). I've done that before as a protective move against uncertainty- that's where THIS market correction is a tough call because it's not economically generated. In fact most of the forward look is a growing GDP etc. This market correction is one born of the financial ilk- a wall street rotation (that could lead to a bear market in general).

That leads to Option 2 - if you believe this market downslide (and TSLA with it in some %) is going to carry beyond where you would roll those first leg LEAPS (J15) June-Sept, then roll them now out to J16 at a lower strike than your current J16s - That allows the time value to bleed much slower while holding, but maintains the stock equivalent position- so you're carrying only J16s but at 3 strikes (you may be lowering your total Delta track range- which is probably fine while in this Bearish mode anyway). If you're wrong and it moves up sooner, your gains will be reduced, commensurate with the reduced risk level- you'll still carry more gains than a pure stock position. Keep in mind it's a strike that you're aiming for 6 months before J16 expiration- your target strike from current TSLA values (which would likely be lower than your current J16s with this downturn in place).

That leads to Option 3 - This is the one I usually take on these kind of corrections. Under the same market assumptions as Option 2 above, but with a stronger conviction of it's occurrence; exit your J15s now, but to cash; then hold the cash for the eventual roll into the J16 position (at a better cost or strike target since the market has pulled TSLA back as you predicted - same as reducing TSLA position for a period of time);
--Here's the added advantage if the timing works - the J17s will come up November-ish. If the market downturn continues until then use the cash to create that leg directly at a much lower cost (again sine TSLA has moved down)- that's a long time to be bearish from here though; But it does afford that possibility--
That leads to Option 4
If you believe the downturn (recession driven or otherwise) is so severe and prolonged that you'll now never reach your current J16 strikes or anywhere close, then that's sort of a recipe for being out of the market altogether, but short of that, bring your strikes down to new lower strikes with a smaller position (more bearish on TSLA than before- just like lowering a stock position) or add some cash to lower the strike if you think it's in a recovery time frame. Overall it really doesn't work much different than a stock position for this kind of market-driven price performance

Now one thing I want to make crystal clear-
LEAPS-for-stock can easily be mis-used to over leverage and provide losses (just like too much stock). It's very easy to assign a dollar value of LEAP position as equal to a dollar value of stock- it is not of course. Be sure to keep your LEAP position congruent with the stock position (via Delta tracking) that you are comfortable risking on a 1-2 year time frame. If you're doing that- it's no different than holding the stock (and losing value on these downturns)- it's the fact you have fewer $s at risk, coupled with an ALWAYS-roll-before-expiration that creates the higher return/risk ratio on a growing stock. But that's disabled if you simply leverage to a higher position than the stock would have normally carried. The LEAP position equivalent to stock will afford a cash position that stock would not.

Ken and/or anyone -- I'm considering ATM or only slightly OTM LEAPS in this market (once things cool down) as a leveraged alternative to straight stock instead of wildly OTM LEAPS. What's your thought on that?

Ken and/or anyone -- I'm considering ATM or only slightly OTM LEAPS in this market (once things cool down) as a leveraged alternative to straight stock instead of wildly OTM LEAPS. What's your thought on that?

under the 'once things cool down' assumption- I grant you it's an enticing prospect given the beat down. but I wouldn't do it (other than entertainment money). If you want to do something with more leverage than stock, but still not a full LEAP position- consider something that correlates to a known future event or anticipation of same. I'm probably not the right person to answer as I'm not the shorter option trader; so this may not fit well with your idea- but I would use the major downturn to buy a J15 position that will correlate to ModX- Auto show talk of GENIII (anticipatory even if not revealed), etc. looking out to that time there will be lots of catalyst and that option will likely never be cheaper than when we're through with this mini-crash

under the 'once things cool down' assumption- I grant you it's an enticing prospect given the beat down. but I wouldn't do it (other than entertainment money). If you want to do something with more leverage than stock, but still not a full LEAP position- consider something that correlates to a known future event or anticipation of same. I'm probably not the right person to answer as I'm not the shorter option trader; so this may not fit well with your idea- but I would use the major downturn to buy a J15 position that will correlate to ModX- Auto show talk of GENIII (anticipatory even if not revealed), etc. looking out to that time there will be lots of catalyst and that option will likely never be cheaper than when we're through with this mini-crash

Well reasoned, Ken. Thanks for the insights as always.

True noob to options here...i placed my first trade on Friday.

Bought a few May 9 237.50 calls, gambling for a surprise run up after earnings. Paid $3.

One trading day later they are over $4.

Now the reality strikes me that they could expire worthless in a week.

Time to take the small profit off the table?

This is the part that induces sweat. Always a good idea to have a pre-determined exit point to remove some of the emotion.

Not sweating at the levels that I'm trading at right now. But I have a better understanding than before.

Maybe I'll sell one contract today, to lock in a profit. Sell one more prior to earnings if there is another bump up and hold the third one until after earnings so that I'm gambling with "house money"

Regardless of what the stock does post-ER, what will definitely happen immediately the morning after ER is the IV will crash hard on all short-term options and the value of those will drop significantly. So even if (this example is purely hypothetical) the stock goes from 215 to 225/230 after ER, those calls will lose almost all of their value because of the IV crash. Unless you think the stock will go to 238 or more by this Friday, it's probably best to sell them pre-ER while the IV is high. Just my opinion though.

True noob to options here...i placed my first trade on Friday.

Bought a few May 9 237.50 calls, gambling for a surprise run up after earnings. Paid $3.

One trading day later they are over $4.

Now the reality strikes me that they could expire worthless in a week.

Time to take the small profit off the table?

I'm betting the opposite. I've got a strong stock position, but I think earnings will push the stock down akin to Q3. If wednesday is another increase in price for the stock I'll be placing some play money on may 17 190 puts likely.

Regardless of what the stock does post-ER, what will definitely happen immediately the morning after ER is the IV will crash hard on all short-term options and the value of those will drop significantly. So even if (this example is purely hypothetical) the stock goes from 215 to 225/230 after ER, those calls will lose almost all of their value because of the IV crash. Unless you think the stock will go to 238 or more by this Friday, it's probably best to sell them pre-ER while the IV is high. Just my opinion though.

This was exactly my thinking as a newbie. I'm playing around in my retirement account and I wrote a covered call May 9 $230 for $5.50. I'm okay with selling for that price on expiration as I'm still net long overall in my portfolios combined, just really unsure about the very short-term price movements.

What time period is considered short term, or in other words, which options will suffer IV crush post ER? Much appreciated.

I have some May30 230 calls which I plan to sell pre ER. I also plan to sell covered calls, Jun20 260, pre ER.