Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newbie question about roof

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
My model S is on order, but I've been considering interior shades for the windshield and roof.
Tesla now calls the roof options "glass roof" and "sunroof." The word, "Panoramic," is no longer to be seen.
Is one of these current choices identical to what they used to call the "Panoramic roof?"
If not, how do they differ? For example, will a shade made for the Pano roof fit what's now called the "glass roof?"

I believe that the original panoramic roof is the same as what they call the sunroof now.

However, that said, you may want to wait until after you get the car before you get shades. I live in Florida and I really haven’t had any issues with excess heat or light coming through my (2015) panoramic roof.

Yes, the former panoramic roof was renamed to "sunroof". Same thing and same benefits (opens, allows XM radio and roof mount attachment points).

I believe this was renamed due to the fact that the (fixed) "all glass roof" is actually more panoramic than the previous sunroof was - so it would have been awkward continuing to call the sunroof "panoramic roof"

Will wait per your advice. If you don't need shades in Florida, I think I can survive without one in Ohio.
I live in Ohio and have the sunroof. You won't need a shade— especially since you can use the app to preemptively remotely vent the cabin with the sunroof and switch on the AC to cool it down before you get to the car.

I just used it today: parked outside in the open sun for three hours, opened the app on my way back to the car, turned on the AC, and it was icy by the time I got to it.

Reactions: Jimmy 1
Back to your original question. (Does the shad fit the new all glass roof ). I dont have a shad and really dont need to spend the money on one. Unless your the type that is extreamly sensitive to the sun. The original pano roof has a roll bar dividing the sunroof. The new all glass roof does not it is one piece so the Pano shade will not fit. By theway I live in So California and travel out to Southern Arizona frequently and the sun heat does not bother me.

The glass roof is a single piece of glass supported by a picture frame structure, I am in Texas and so far I don't feel the heat while under the sun - unlike the windshield which I can feel the heat. I now have the windshield tinted with Prestige photosync clear film which is a lot better. I don't think you will need it in Ohio.

The glass roof is wider than the pano-roof. I did use the pano-shade on my previous roof to reduce heat when the roof was open and also keep insects out when stopped.

Tried the shade on my new glass roof and it was a couple of inches too narrow.

• Informative
Reactions: BerTX
The shades are really for when the roof is open to keep the interior from becoming to bright. As GaryREM says, they also keep out insects. Plus they keep out falling leaves, and other debris. The one for the hatch is also great for damping the misadjusted lights of the car behind.