Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
Hi, I'm really late to the party, and while this thread is super interesting to read, over 700 posts are a lot.

Would someone be so kind as to summarize some stuff you found out?

Is this increase a software thing?
Is it limited to 90 KWh packs, and if yes, do production dates matter?
Would ludicrous upgraded P85Ds see an increase as well, given they receive the firmware?
Was there maybe a hardware change to the power electronics (1500A smart fuse, etc.) that would affect P85Ds retrofitted later?
There are still a lot of unknown as to what is causing the increased power, but we know for a fact that the newer P90DL has more kw (or hp) based on multiple people measuring the kw using Powertools App (with iPhone) as well as measuring from CAN bus. The record right now is 512 kw of power at battery.

Look at this spreadsheet and this graph made by some members here
Tesla Model S P85/90D(L) Comparisons (Responses)

TeslaPwr24.jpg

Reactions: hiroshiy
Hey Everyone,

I made it to the strip and was able to get 6 passes in before I hit 80% SoC and called it quits. The good news is I was able to best my previous time. Sadly, I was unable to break into the 10's.

11.05 @ 117.49/1.58" 60'/SoC 98%

A few things I noted today:

1) I need to find a way to get to the track with 100% SoC. The 6 miles or so I need to cover is costing me a Best case scenario run.
2) Launch mode and slip start seem to yield similar results.
3) Letting the car sit for more than a few minutes will cost ET as the battery cools. Even with Max battery ready.

I need to go to the drawing board on a few things and see if I can find .05 somewhere. I have some ideas I need to test.

Attachments

• 20160701_222820.jpg
    20160701_222820.jpg
    151.3 KB · Views: 197
  • L_96_Max_NoAC.jpg
    L_96_Max_NoAC.jpg
    161.7 KB · Views: 160
Reactions: benjiejr
Hey Everyone,

I made it to the strip and was able to get 6 passes in before I hit 80% SoC and called it quits. The good news is I was able to best my previous time. Sadly, I was unable to break into the 10's.

1) I need to find a way to get to the track with 100% SoC. The 6 miles or so I need to cover is costing me a Best case scenario run.
3) Letting the car sit for more than a few minutes will cost ET as the battery cools. Even with Max battery ready.

I need to go to the drawing board on a few things and see if I can find .05 somewhere. I have some ideas I need to test.

This is great stuff! I've noticed a drop in peak power between 100% just after the car reports fully charged and 100% that's been left on the charger for a bit longer. So I'm betting that 2+% is important.

What size rims are you running ? You may have mentioned it earlier but I forget.
IIRC, the 19's are lighter than the 21's. I'm sure someone will correct me if I am wrong. The lightest stock rims would be the best as Im sure you know.

When do you get your next chance at this.?? .06 is awfully close. Nice try.

Hey Everyone,

Wow, thanks a lot, St Charles!! These are really great results considering your car is "only" 493 kw at max. We need someone with the 510-512 kw car and bring it to a drag strip!

If charging is really an issue between charging and the drag strip, the only solution I can think of right now is drive at 20 to 30 mph after charging (if traffic allows)

Hey Everyone,

Nice going Charles.

And thanks for your efforts.

Looks like you chopped off a full tenth off your old time and are knocking on the door of the 10's.

I'm on this phone now and can't look it up, but how much improvement in your trap did you get?

Congratulations. But from my experience above 94% was actually slower. I keep the maximum battery on all the time but I think each run gets slower because the SoC is less, about 3% between each run. I tried launch control last night for one run but the result was a slow reaction time as well as a slower e/t. So slip start for me.

• Informative
Congratulations. But from my experience above 94% was actually slower. I keep the maximum battery on all the time but I think each run gets slower because the SoC is less, about 3% between each run. I tried launch control last night for one run but the result was a slow reaction time as well as a slower e/t. So slip start for me.

You bring up interesting points. I have definitely noticed that Launch control yields a bad reaction time. This actually has me a bit concerned as it would also imply that Launch mode has a short hiccup before taking off. In fact, you can see it in my graph I posted along with the timeslip.

I got my 11.05 on my first run @ 98% SoC. The next closest run was 11.09 two runs later at 92% SoC. I was holding onto the possibility that I would get a better ET as the night wore on but it never happened. My experience did, however, show me that a quick hot lap yielded a faster time. This would indicate that the max battery setting does not heat up the battery to max power and there is still a little left in there.

• Informative
Most lithium ion cells I'm familiar with have their best C rate and lowest impedance near maximum operating temperature. In the most extreme case, A123's 18700F1 cell needs to be at almost 100 degrees Celsius to achieve 200C; they only hit about 60C at room temperature. This suggests the "hot" set-up would be a heating blanket you could bungee against the bottom of the pack, much like a tire warmer. Bring the pack up to 60C, then do a run. A lot of the variation in pack performance with different charge rates may actually be differences in initial temperature; a pack coming off a Supercharger is going to be above normal temperatures. I suspect the ideal would be a warm pack and a cool inverter and motor. Some of this may be confounded by Tesla's pack protection strategies, but it would be fun to find out a optimum.

I trailered my P85DL last month to Bakersfield 150 miles in an attempt to get the highest charge which cost me $400 to repaint the rear bumper as the Tesla rubbed against a tie down buckle for the gas cans sitting on my wheel wells. The problem was I charged to 100% overnight, by morning it was 98%, by end of trip 95% and down to 94% waiting in line and warming battery. First run was 11.224 @ 119.00 and second best was my third run of 11.275 @ 119.64 at 89%.

Last edited:
  • Informative
Reactions: ggnykk
I trailered my P85DL last month to Bakersfield 150 miles in an attempt to get the highest charge which cost me $400 to repaint the rear bumper as the Tesla rubbed against a tie down buckle for the gas cans sitting on my wheel wells. The problem was I charged to 100% overnight, by morning it was 98%, by end of trip 95% and down to 94% waiting in line and warming battery. First run was 11.224 @ 119.00 and second best was my third run of 11.275 @ 119.64 at 89%.

First, your traps speeds are really high, I'm jealous. Did you do anything in addition to rooting your car? Have you run at a different track and achieved the same trap speed?

Second, since I don't actually own a trailer I would have to rent a u-Haul POS. Hopefully a Tesla Model S fits on one. Also, Mason Dixon is so close to a supercharger I could do all the charging and battery warming right before driving onto the track.

Status
Not open for further replies.