Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
What is the difference between 10.90 and 11:05? Answer 1.3%
What is the difference between 10.99 and 11:05? Answer: 0.54%

The car and driver in total weigh around 5000 pounds. That same 1% loss of performance you get when there is addition 50 pounds of cargo on board. So one advice: when yo do go to the track, strip the car of all unnecessary weight, no tire-fix-kit, no lift, no drinks, no jackets, and go to the toilet before the run. And yes - child seats, panoroof etc do make a difference.

Lo and behold...

Ok, so maybe they should add "only once per charge " to the 10.9 time or there will still be people who will argue about this. Again, I don't really care, here in Belgium we don't even have drag strips so we are not interested in these advertised times, I think people here would care more about the hp issue. All i care about is being the quickest at the red light :) and having 691 or 450 hp doesn't interest me all that much, until now (or until I encounter a p90dl) I am the quickest lol.

• Funny
Reactions: ggnykk
Is this a relatively painless process? Are Service Centers generally ok with walk in requests for this stuff?

There are recent reports (more than one) in the Firmware 7.1 thread that if you just get close enough to a Service Center that you will receive the latest firmware. Speculation is that Tesla has recently implemented either geofencing to trigger downloads or when you join the Service Center's WiFi you are automatically pushed the latest update (which would save the Service Center personnel time on each car they used to have to manually load software on).

See the last 5 or 6 pages of the Firmware 7.1 thread for the speculation...

Mike

• Informative
Reactions: jpet
Is this a relatively painless process? Are Service Centers generally ok with walk in requests for this stuff?

When launch control came out, I wanted it immediately thinking that it would actually do something and I got ahold of one of the Rangers who had adjusted the sunroof on my car before at my home.

He offered to come out to my house and load the version of firmware which had the launch control in it, but before he could come out it came OTA, so I cancelled with him.

I don't know if that would work.

On the internet, nothing is truly put to rest...

So true. So true.

Last edited:
They discourage it because they are so busy these days. If you know someone there you might try calling or an email and ask if it would be okay for you to stop by or if they can have Fremont send it down to your car. I've done that a couple of times if I've had a specific issue with my firmware.

Hey Everyone,

I made it to the strip and was able to get 6 passes in before I hit 80% SoC and called it quits. The good news is I was able to best my previous time. Sadly, I was unable to break into the 10's.

11.05 @ 117.49/1.58" 60'/SoC 98%

A few things I noted today:

1) I need to find a way to get to the track with 100% SoC. The 6 miles or so I need to cover is costing me a Best case scenario run.
2) Launch mode and slip start seem to yield similar results.
3) Letting the car sit for more than a few minutes will cost ET as the battery cools. Even with Max battery ready.

I need to go to the drawing board on a few things and see if I can find .05 somewhere. I have some ideas I need to test.

St Charles, is the attached graph from this above post at a 98% SOC?

The reason why I ask is because it doesn't seem much different from the peak power seen from your previously posted 92% SOC.

As I think about it though, looking at your results alongside your peak power in KW which comes at below 60 mph, I'm very interested to see how long into the run the power stays up.

We may be seeing impressive peak numbers from PowerTools when we romp on these cars on the street looking for that big number.

But it could turn out that they are "fleeting" and don't hold for long enough through a pass.

More results along with the graphs will tell us whether or not that is the case.

But looking at how your power fell off a cliff for this 11.055 pass after you got to about 95-98mph, it could be, and this is just a theory, that with the Max Battery on and the 98% high state of charge, that things heated up when you put your foot into it and kept your foot in it over the 1/8th mile, and the car started to cut power after the demand so that it would not overheat.

Last edited:
There are recent reports (more than one) in the Firmware 7.1 thread that if you just get close enough to a Service Center that you will receive the latest firmware. Speculation is that Tesla has recently implemented either geofencing to trigger downloads or when you join the Service Center's WiFi you are automatically pushed the latest update (which would save the Service Center personnel time on each car they used to have to manually load software on).

See the last 5 or 6 pages of the Firmware 7.1 thread for the speculation...

Mike
Your post inspired this off-the-wall idea - Tesla could theoretically pull a VW-emissions-like maneuver and geofence every drag strip to enable a 12 sec power boost every several minutes, since the routine is predictable everything could be automatically optimized before you stage: battery temp, AC off, battery cooling fan off, etc. Tesla's ET claims would be validated by regular folks eagerly posting their time slips. Way better than MT-ringers - everybody gets a ringer while at a drag strip.:)

Your post inspired this off-the-wall idea - Tesla could theoretically pull a VW-emissions-like maneuver and geofence every drag strip to enable a 12 sec power boost every several minutes, since the routine is predictable everything could be automatically optimized before you stage: battery temp, AC off, battery cooling fan off, etc. Tesla's ET claims would be validated by regular folks eagerly posting their time slips. Way better than MT-ringers - everybody gets a ringer while at a drag strip.:)

Similar to what Nissan does with the GT-R? ;)

Ok, so maybe they should add "only once per charge " to the 10.9 time or there will still be people who will argue about this. Again, I don't really care, here in Belgium we don't even have drag strips so we are not interested in these advertised times, I think people here would care more about the hp issue. All i care about is being the quickest at the red light :) and having 691 or 450 hp doesn't interest me all that much, until now (or until I encounter a p90dl) I am the quickest lol.

It's my opinion that ICE cars have more problems than we do. Mainly temperature, Humidity, and air pressure. These three factors have a profound effect on performance. To get advertised times with an ICE car you have to go to a track which is at sea level on a cool, sunny day where the Density altitude is 0'. We get to ignore these factors.

On top of the above another enemy of an ICE car is known as heat soak. Much like how our cars drop into a lower power state when the battery or motors get hot, many modern ICE cars will start to pull spark timing when they get hot. It's not enough to really notice on the street but it has a very noticeable effect on 1/4 mile times. When I was racing my Mustang I would make a pass and then park the car for 20 minutes or so with the hood propped open to let the heat escape. If you walk around in the pits at a drag strip you'll see crazy things like literal bags of ice sitting on top of motors trying to cool them off. I know a few people who converted to an electric water pump so that they could get coolant to circulate through the engine while it was off.

• Informative
Reactions: hiroshiy and gvands
St Charles, is the attached graph from this above post at a 98% SOC?

The reason why I ask is because it doesn't seem much different from the peak power seen from your previously posted 92% SOC.

As I think about it though, looking at your results alongside your peak power in KW which comes at below 60 mph, I'm very interested to see how long into the run the power stays up.

We may be seeing impressive peak numbers from PowerTools when we romp on these cars on the street looking for that big number.

But it could turn out that they are "fleeting" and don't hold for long enough through a pass.

More results along with the graphs will tell us whether or not that is the case.

But looking at how your power fell off a cliff for this 11.055 pass after you got to about 95-98mph, it could be, and this is just a theory, that with the Max Battery on and the 98% high state of charge, that things heated up when you put your foot into it and kept your foot in it over the 1/8th mile, and the car started to cut power after the demand so that it would not overheat.

You bring up some good points. The graph I posted was actually from my second run of the day where I put up a 11.13 @ 117. The second run was about 20 minutes after the first run so I don't think overheating is a factor here. I was having trouble logging and sadly this is the only log I have. What I really need is a CANBUS setup.

That said, this graph doesn't look much different from what others have posted. There is a noticeable drop off after 100MPH which I think is by design. I'm not an expert on electric motors but my understanding is that torque falls off with RPM. Honestly, the acceleration curve is about what I would expect. We compare it unfairly, I think, because our cars launch so heroically.

Well done buddy. Its a top outcome (fastest to date)

Looking at your slip, you have a stellar first half of track then a quite slow second half. The car is ramping down significantly during the second half of the track (too hot?)

I think it may turn out that the cost of running much higher current could be a much faster rate of voltage drop. i.e. the cells are capable of producing a certain amount of energy over a certain time and if you up current to extract the short term extraction at the center of the anode at higher current will result in faster, not just more, voltage drop.

The upshot is that for things like 70-90 passes, the 1600 amp battery will have a roughly proportional power increase over the 1500 amp battery but over greater times, the difference shrinks. (all speculation of course).

Can someone with a vbox and 500KW car do some 70-90 passes? The P85DL will do it in 2.5 seconds. This assumes that you start from say 67 and floor it without letting up until you hit 90. i.e the time it takes to pass through 70-90 while already producing maximum power. But don't start at 45 MPH because the voltage drop will be greater by the time you hit the measured range. I wouldn't be surprised to see 2.2 seconds given the P85D (non L) takes 3 seconds, 0.5 seconds longer than the upgraded L.

Hey Everyone,

I made it to the strip and was able to get 6 passes in before I hit 80% SoC and called it quits. The good news is I was able to best my previous time. Sadly, I was unable to break into the 10's.

11.05 @ 117.49/1.58" 60'/SoC 98%

A few things I noted today:

1) I need to find a way to get to the track with 100% SoC. The 6 miles or so I need to cover is costing me a Best case scenario run.
2) Launch mode and slip start seem to yield similar results.
3) Letting the car sit for more than a few minutes will cost ET as the battery cools. Even with Max battery ready.

I need to go to the drawing board on a few things and see if I can find .05 somewhere. I have some ideas I need to test.

That's awesome! I may have missed it, but what's your car's weight and config? Pano ? 21" tires ?

Based on what I'm seeing I think my car could hit a 10.99 under ideal conditions, but I'm not sure where from San Diego I'd like to take it to try. (Never been on a track or strip before)

That's awesome! I may have missed it, but what's your car's weight and config? Pano ? 21" tires ?

Based on what I'm seeing I think my car could hit a 10.99 under ideal conditions, but I'm not sure where from San Diego I'd like to take it to try. (Never been on a track or strip before)

I have pano roof and 19" wheels. One of these days, i'll get it on some scales to see what it weighs.

When I ran the 11.05 I pulled all loose objects from the car including charging equipment. I also pulled the loose trim from the back but that was about it. I don't generally like to strip the car down for racing.

Reactions: ggnykk
You bring up some good points. The graph I posted was actually from my second run of the day where I put up a 11.13 @ 117. The second run was about 20 minutes after the first run so I don't think overheating is a factor here. I was having trouble logging and sadly this is the only log I have. What I really need is a CANBUS setup.

That said, this graph doesn't look much different from what others have posted. There is a noticeable drop off after 100MPH which I think is by design. I'm not an expert on electric motors but my understanding is that torque falls off with RPM. Honestly, the acceleration curve is about what I would expect. We compare it unfairly, I think, because our cars launch so heroically.
Thanks for the info. So your record run max power is more like 495 - 498 kw? (instead of 493 kw in your chart)

We need people from California to recommend you a drag strip. You and 3 other people here have the 500 kw+ P90DL.

Well done ... so close to a 10.9! :cool:

20160701_222820-jpg.183700
l_96_max_noac-jpg.183705

Status
Not open for further replies.