Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newer P90DL makes 662 hp at the battery!!!

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Status
Not open for further replies.
The p100 is about .2 seconds quicker than the most recent P90 versions in the eighth and quarter-mile.that is a significant improvement.
The only P90 to run in the tens is the TRC version. When they ran head to head The P100 beat it by .2 in the 8th mile.

The TRC P90 and P100 ran head to head in the 8th mile and the P 100 beat it by .2 seconds more than once.
Are there any other version 3P 90s that have run under 11 seconds?

Why are you trying to invalidate the P90DL 10.8 from TRC? You can't ignore actual results because it doesn't suit your argument. Maybe you'll believe it if you hear it from TRC himself... (skip to 4:20)

Until someone actually posts a 10.6 timeslip from a P100D, it's not .2 faster.
Fast Tesla Model-Ss 1/4 Mile 0-60 Drag Racing - DragTimes.com

true way to compare is side by side, and that is what TRC did.... P100D always pulls away... maybe he will hit that same track with the P100D and see...

I'm sure it does pull away consistently but you and I both know that .2 is a very different ordeal in the 10 second range than it is in the 11's or higher. There is also a big difference between someone who is looking to win a race vs someone looking to post a good timeslip.

Last edited:
Reactions: P85DEE and soooma
Why are you trying to invalidate the P90DL 10.8 from TRC? You can't ignore actual results because it doesn't suit your argument. Maybe you'll believe it if you hear it from TRC himself... (skip to 4:20)

I'm sure it does pull away consistently but you and I both know that .2 is a very different ordeal in the 10 second range than it is in the 11's or higher. There is also a big difference between someone who is looking to win a race vs someone looking to post a good timeslip.
So the TRC P90 is the only version three that has run under 11 seconds?

Reactions: soooma
You could see his pops in the other car on one of his videos. He looked like he weighed substantially more than the son. Trc also felt that because his dad wasn't using launch control and he was that made a significant difference. I know there's a difference of opinion on launch control, but trc seems to think it makes a difference.

The TRC P90 and P100 ran head to head in the 8th mile and the P 100 beat it by .2 seconds more than once.
Are there any other version 3P 90s that have run under 11 seconds?

Well I can understand regarding the 1/8.

But it's after the 1/8 that has been somewhat of the Achilles heel for the latest iterations of the car.

However if I'm following him right, St Charles appears to be pointing out that despite a .2 lead in a head to head 1/8 mile race, at the end of more than one quarter mile pass, the TRC P90D V3 did the quarter in 10.8. And at the end of a quarter mile the P100D has done it in 10.7.

In other words, you have a 10.8 quarter mile car vs a 10.7 quarter mile car.

Not much difference.

Last edited:
You could see his pops in the other car on one of his videos. He looked like he weighed substantially more than the son. TRC also felt that because his dad wasn't using launch control and he was that made a significant difference. I know there's a difference of opinion on launch control, but TRC seems to think it makes a difference.

I've heard these arguments before :)

Either way, it's irrelevant because TRC himself ran the 10.8 in the P90DL and then the 10.79 in the P100D. Both are posted on Drag times right now. There is at least one other P100D on Drag Times and he has only managed 10.80.

Please keep in mind that there is a big difference between two cars racing each other at the track and the best possible time obtainable at a drag strip. What you are seeing is the TRC guy racing his father. Sure, he seems to beat his dad consistently by two tenths. This does not mean that the P100D is 2 tenths faster than a P90DL. It means TRC is a better drag racer than his father. We know this because TRC himself went to the track and obtained extremely similar results with both cars. RTV then went to Palm Beach Raceway with his P100D and was only able to obtain a best of 10.80. All this was backed up by Dragtimes with vBox testing. The data shows that the current P100D is likely to be a 10.7 car at best. The MPH isn't there nor is the 60' to be any quicker. What we have seen are attempts from people who have proven very capable of getting the best times out of a Tesla Model S at a drag strip. TRC, RTV and @fiksegts are all very capable drivers and all three of them have shown that the current 100kWh pack is not going to produce significantly better results at a track.

It's also likely that the motors are tapped out which is what @TIppy is saying. I think he is right. If you look at the attached graph here, you'll note that the power levels of the P100D and the P90DL come very close are nearly congruent above 100mph. The P90DL power graph looks like it is limiting output and following a programmed curve,.The P100D curve looks like the motors are operating at their maximum capabilities. It's likely that the motors are now the limiting factor, not the battery. It is very unlikely that we will not see better performance unless Tesla decides to change the design of their drive units.

upload_2016-9-30_14-19-24.png

Reactions: P85DEE
I recently read an article from a guy who grew up racing at the drag strip his father owned, and he said that at their track the right side was consistently faster than the left. The could never figure out why.

It's likely that the dragstrip this person is talking about favors one lane in some way over the other.

Part of what makes the launch part of the drag strip soo sticky is that there are tons of layers of rubber deposited on the ground. The tracks will then spray a compound that literally glues the cars tires to the rubber on the track. How well this works is dependent on the rubber compound the tires are made of and the condition of the track itself. Street tires are generally way to hard to adequately adhere to the rubber compound on the track and also scrape some of that rubber off the track as the treads dig into the surface. If one side is used a lot by street tires, it's likely that the ground is very torn up and thus the rubber on the drag cars cant adhere to the surface as well on one side.

It's also possible that one lane isn't as flat as the other which would cause the tires to lose grip. Or one lane ends up with a lot of contaminants like dirt or gravel that will reduce traction. Or the way the track workers prep the track isn't really even.

I used to race at an 1/8th mile track where their idea of "track prep" was to drag a monster truck tire up and down the track with a tractor. They kept this truck tire off to the side, in the dirt, which would then get deposited mostly on one lane. Predictably, most car crashes happened on this lane because cars would break traction unevenly and run into the wall.

Maybe
Well I can understand regarding the 1/8.

But it's after the 1/8 that has been somewhat of the Achilles heel for the latest iterations of the car.

However if I'm following him right, St Charles appears to be pointing out that despite a .2 lead in a head to head 1/8 mile race, at the end of more than one quarter mile pass, the TRC P90D V3 did the quarter in 10.8. And at the end of a quarter mile the P100D has done it in 10.7.

In other words, you have a 10.8 quarter mile car vs a 10.7 quarter mile car.

Not much difference.
Maybe I missed it but are you saying that a version 3 p90 runs 10.8.
What have other version 3 p90 cars run other than the TRC car.
Can a buyer of a version 3 battery p90d expect to run under 10.9?

To me the races by TRC are clear, you don't have to be a drag racer to hit the throttle from a roll and see what happens, and even when the P90D got the jump, the P100D walked by.

At our event on November 13th I think we'll have a good mix of Tesla's to really see whats going on, hopefully we can do a P90D v3 vs P100D and see. We "might" have the Rimac come by as well... :)

Either way, it's irrelevant because TRC himself ran the 10.8 in the P90DL and then the 10.79 in the P100D. Both are posted on Drag times right now. There is at least one other P100D on Drag Times and he has only managed 10.80.

Please keep in mind that there is a big difference between two cars racing each other at the track and the best possible time obtainable at a drag strip. What you are seeing is the TRC guy racing his father. Sure, he seems to beat his dad consistently by two tenths. This does not mean that the P100D is 2 tenths faster than a P90DL. It means TRC is a better drag racer than his father. We know this because TRC himself went to the track and obtained extremely similar results with both cars. RTV then went to Palm Beach Raceway with his P100D and was only able to obtain a best of 10.80. All this was backed up by Dragtimes with vBox testing. The data shows that the current P100D is likely to be a 10.7 car at best. The MPH isn't there nor is the 60' to be any quicker. What we have seen are attempts from people who have proven very capable of getting the best times out of a Tesla Model S at a drag strip. TRC, RTV and @fiksegts are all very capable drivers and all three of them have shown that the current 100kWh pack is not going to produce significantly better results at a track.

It's also likely that the motors are tapped out which is what @TIppy is saying. I think he is right. If you look at the attached graph here, you'll note that the power levels of the P100D and the P90DL come very close are nearly congruent above 100mph. The P90DL power graph looks like it is limiting output and following a programmed curve,.The P100D curve looks like the motors are operating at their maximum capabilities. It's likely that the motors are now the limiting factor, not the battery. It is very unlikely that we will not see better performance unless Tesla decides to change the design of their drive units.

View attachment 196929

View attachment 196929

I tend to agree with you. Going from 10.8 to 10.7 is incremental improvement.

Or if we'r looking at best private owner obtained times in a V2 P90DL, we're talking 11.03 vs 10.79

fiks,
Thanks for the 19 to 21 test. I'd love to see what my 20s at 10lbs per corner less rotating inertia (I know, mixing units but you get the point) would do for the same car in back to back to back.

On a different note, even though I see it over and over again it just blows me away how repeatable these cars are. You try drawing those conclusions (regarding wheels) on an ICE based on some runs and there would be no way to have confidence that the slight difference was due to a gnat on the throttle body and not the wheels :)

Reactions: St Charles
Maybe

Maybe I missed it but are you saying that a version 3 p90 runs 10.8.

I'm also curious. Why are you trying to invalidate the multiple 10.8s run by that P90DL?

I'm saying that if the P90DL that TRC was driving was a V3, then IT ran 10.8.

What have other version 3 p90 cars run other than the TRC car.

Doesn't matter. That one did. If it did then while I'd expect that others like it might, it does not take away from the fact that it did.

Can a buyer of a version 3 battery p90d expect to run under 10.9?

Can the owner of Ping G driver expect to hit drives like Bubba Watson?

Last edited:
To me the races by TRC are clear, you don't have to be a drag racer to hit the throttle from a roll and see what happens, and even when the P90D got the jump, the P100D walked by.

At our event on November 13th I think we'll have a good mix of Tesla's to really see whats going on, hopefully we can do a P90D v3 vs P100D and see. We "might" have the Rimac come by as well... :)

I'm genuinely looking forward to it.

I tend to agree with you. Going from 10.8 to 10.7 is incremental improvement.

Or if we'r looking at best private owner obtained times in a V2 P90DL, we're talking 11.03 vs 10.79

Guys there's an elephant in the room :)
Most P90DL are not like TRC andre likely will be in the vicinity of 11 and 2.8 not 10.8 and 2.65 so that's not very incremental and we should give Tesla some credit because in 1 year since P85D they almost shaved off more than a whole second off the QM and from 3.2 sec to 2.5 sec and that's not shabby or anything to scoff at!!

My 2 cents
P.S I had an M5 F10 CP and was 3.6 sec and after 6 years of engineering BMW has managed to improve numbers from 4.1 sec down to 3.6 sec and that's not to mention that several years same model and zero changes !!!

Give Elon a break ;)

Reactions: P85DEE and Vitaman
Guys there's an elephant in the room :)
Most P90DL are not like TRC andre likely will be in the vicinity of 11 and 2.8 not 10.8 and 2.65 so that's not very incremental and we should give Tesla some credit because in 1 year since P85D they almost shaved off more than a whole second off the QM and from 3.2 sec to 2.5 sec and that's not shabby or anything to scoff at!!

My 2 cents
P.S I had an M5 F10 CP and was 3.6 sec and after 6 years of engineering BMW has managed to improve numbers from 4.1 sec down to 3.6 sec and that's not to mention that several years same model and zero changes !!!

Give Elon a break ;)
They get credit for improving it but they don't get credit for saying it was capable of going under 11 when the only time that's ever been done was by Motor Trend but never duplicated as far as we know.

doesn't seem to be the case looking at the numbers, the current record holders are on 21"

the quickest (George S) and second quickest (me) P85DLs are both on 19s. St Charles was the quickest, now second quickest, v2 is on 19s.

There probably just aren't many 19" shod P100Ds posting time slips yet. Just the one?

Although the magical lightweight 10.9 MT car was on 21s

Reactions: msnow and NSX1992
Status
Not open for further replies.