Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

Newly delivered Model 3 with rocker panel damage

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
I'm posting this hoping that this does not happen to others. I received my model 3 and pretty much didn't drive it until I could get an appointment at a shop to have it detailed. I get a call that there is damage to the bottom of the car....

Long story short, Tesla was completely unwilling to help despite the low miles on the car. To me? Its clearly that the damage happened in transportation.

So why am I writing this? When you get your tesla, inspect the bleeping bleep out of it!!!!!!

I was over at some guys detail shop today. Brand new Tesla's everywhere, he gave me the grand tour of Telsa's quality issues. Pealing paint, bubbles, orange peel....and this is just what's in his shop. I took photographs. One poor guy's model S, in my opinion, needs the front spoiler repainted and the entire rear hatch. Got the photo!

Again folks, please don't look at this as a rant, but as a public service announcement to go over your car with a fine toothed comb. Unfortunately, I'm guessing most on this forum already own at Tesla.

This was mine, some reason upon picking up I checked and say something hanging.
Further checking under neath revealed that about 3 feet across the front to back right in the middle rocker was scratched and had a good chunk taken out, on the passenger side also but more livable. The driver side though was very bad. See photo.
Thank goodness I found this during delivery and not after.

Tesla was very good about it and booked me an appointment to get them both replaced. Will keep you posted

Attachments

• AA273624-892E-4643-89D2-1E9E96CDC243.jpeg
    AA273624-892E-4643-89D2-1E9E96CDC243.jpeg
    313.6 KB · Views: 882
sorry forgot pics. Uploading them now.

For an update on this. Car is at body shop. Estimate is 2000 low and 5000-6000 high. Guy told me if he needs parts it could take 1-3 months to get them...and to just drive the car for now. He had another model 3 with 9/19/18 written on the window...waiting for parts.

IMG_1031.jpeg

• Disagree
Reactions: Trevlan006
Guess the one pic says it all! You cannot see this unless you get on the ground and look for it. Despite pictures, low low low mileage (waited for appointment to get ceramic coated and clear bra)....Tesla's response was pretty much, "you had the car for three weeks and we could not have possibly have done that here". What don't they understand about I didn't drive the thing. I even sent them a screen shot showing them the odometer.

To the above poster, good catch!!!

Brutal sorry to hear that and yes thank goodness I am a little anal and check everything. Had the car been outside and not at a distance or that particular angle I might have never noticed and then one day I myself might actually hit the rocker panel and been all flustered because of the damage I did myself lol . Sorry to hear maybe run it up higher and see if anyone will help.

Trev,

Ya, need to get the pics from the body shop and the estimate before I have a lawyer fire a note to California. The body shop is going to try to heat it up and attach pins to it in an attempt to straighten it out. It doesn't need to be perfect since you cannot see it. You literally have to get on the ground to see it (or a lift)

I was surprised at how easy it was to find so many others having the same issues. The problem actually starts further back on the rocker. You can see a white line going about 2 feet heading towards the front of the car then...the damage. It happened when someone backed it over something. I live on a farm there is nothing here; no curbs etc.. My garage is pristine.

Thanks for the support.

sorry forgot pics. Uploading them now.

For an update on this. Car is at body shop. Estimate is 2000 low and 5000-6000 high. Guy told me if he needs parts it could take 1-3 months to get them...and to just drive the car for now. He had another model 3 with 9/19/18 written on the window...waiting for parts.

View attachment 345825

Interesting. That looks like they placed the plastic piece over the damaged panel.

I recalled a thread where someone discovered damage to the underside of their model 3 at the jack points that looks quite similar.

Theirs was also discovered at a third party shop.

Because of that I specifically inspected the rocker panels and jack points when I picked mine up.

Guess the one pic says it all! You cannot see this unless you get on the ground and look for it. Despite pictures, low low low mileage (waited for appointment to get ceramic coated and clear bra)....Tesla's response was pretty much, "you had the car for three weeks and we could not have possibly have done that here". What don't they understand about I didn't drive the thing. I even sent them a screen shot showing them the odometer.

To the above poster, good catch!!!

What was the odometer reading when you reported the damage?

Mine had multiple punctures on both sides under the rocker panels in the black plastic piece. Service center questioned it but is covering it under goodwill. Didn't feel that good that they questioned if it happened on my end. Guess you really do need to get on the ground and roll around and look under your car before you leave the delivery center because they sure don't inspect it for you...

Mine had multiple punctures on both sides under the rocker panels in the black plastic piece. Service center questioned it but is covering it under goodwill. Didn't feel that good that they questioned if it happened on my end. Guess you really do need to get on the ground and roll around and look under your car before you leave the delivery center because they sure don't inspect it for you...

They absolutely do not inspect it. It’s absurd.