Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

News for Model X owners with the dreaded shudder

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Isn't this only true if the suspension is in High or Very High?

A new car set to the default Low position should accelerate as expected.

I would suggest that a car, regardless of age (within reason, of course) and suspension height, accelerate as expected. Especially one that is promoted as having amazing ability in it's torque and acceleration. Although it is not the ONLY reason I bought Tesla, it was one of the more exciting aspects of owning this car!

I drive exclusively on 'Low' except some geo-located 'Extremely High' areas (areas in which I do little 'acceleration', but only move the car over dips - as in a driveway - or to jack the car up for my espresso stand so as to not crane my neck to talk to the baristas :D). At about 7K miles, I started noticing a very slight shudder when accelerating hard. Now, 8K miles later, I get a very slight shudder even on "Chill" when accelerating hard (in "Low"). Note: I actually don't accelerate hard often, but admittedly did more-so the first couple thousand miles o_O.

At my last SC visit (2 weeks ago) to replace a door motor for the front passenger side, I had them drive with me to hear 'my' shudder. He admitted it was 'there'... but since there truly is no fix for this, it's not worth replacing half-shafts, motor mounts, etc. at this time. I will say that my shudder is much less dramatic than others I hear... so I believe that I'll wait to get a permanent fix - if one ever comes.

I have difficulty hearing Tesla say that this is 'normal'. If it shuddered from mile 1, I may have to agree... but most, like me, seem to get an increasing amount of shudder as time and miles go by. This indicates that something is deteriorating, not a 'design feature'.

If the majority of X and S owners experience something that is 'deteriorating'... it should be the responsibility of Tesla to design a fix for the issue. Period.

Or... let us trade our models in for full original purchase price on the new model X and/or S - which some think, due to new drive units and suspension, will be a better - stronger - vehicle. ;)

I would go for that in a heartbeat!!! o_O:p

Until then, I hold my breath and await a permanent fix. Hoping not to 'expire' before the fix gets here!!! :eek:

Isn't this only true if the suspension is in High or Very High?

A new car set to the default Low position should accelerate as expected.

I have two X's, an early 3000VIN and also a 103K VIN. When in AP, my experience is that SW has been tweaked over time to start with a less powerful acceleration.

I keep mine higher than Low (use 65mph as the automatic changeover to Low).

Having said that, I've had the shafts replaced on my first one and if shudder becomes an issue on the newer one I would expect Tesla to replace the shafts too.

Reactions: SnowFlyer
I've had one half shaft replaced and that worked. However, before long, it started doing it again. I think it is coming from the other one? IDK. But, the odd thing about it, after the car warms up and has been driven for 30 minutes or so, I can't seem to reproduce it. The problem is the service center is 30 minutes away and while on the way I get a shudder, by the time we get there and try to reproduce it, it has stopped. My guess is this will get worse over time and somewhere shortly before I hit 50k miles, I'm going to try one more time to get it addressed under warranty.

I've had one half shaft replaced and that worked. However, before long, it started doing it again. I think it is coming from the other one? IDK. But, the odd thing about it, after the car warms up and has been driven for 30 minutes or so, I can't seem to reproduce it. The problem is the service center is 30 minutes away and while on the way I get a shudder, by the time we get there and try to reproduce it, it has stopped. My guess is this will get worse over time and somewhere shortly before I hit 50k miles, I'm going to try one more time to get it addressed under warranty.
I had exactly this problem. Eventually they allowed me to leave the car overnight (and outside I think) and then they took the car out in the morning and were able to re-create it. Unfortunately although they replaced the usual parts, eventually the noise came back.

Reactions: Xcelerator
“Noise” I can live with until the fix; my concern is that the noise is symptomatic of a known problem. What happens when something breaks? Does it then effect the motion of the vehicle such that you will be unable to continue your trip? In short, has anyone yet been stranded due to something breaking? Unless I missed it on the past 18 pages, no one has reported a nonfunctional vehicle due to the shudder, or have they?

“Noise” I can live with until the fix; my concern is that the noise is symptomatic of a known problem. What happens when something breaks? Does it then effect the motion of the vehicle such that you will be unable to continue your trip? In short, has anyone yet been stranded due to something breaking? Unless I missed it on the past 18 pages, no one has reported a nonfunctional vehicle due to the shudder, or have they?

I'd tend to agree that if it's just a "noise" then maybe I could live with it. I sold my GTR and it was literally symphony of strange noises, all of which were normal for the car. In fact, in the owners manual it said that the GTR is a high performance car and many of the sounds are normal. And trust me, I've never heard so many "normal sound"s in my life.

That being said, I don't get the feeling that this is a "normal" sound. There seems to be a component of excessive wear which is why the half shafts are being replaced. Since many people have to have them replaced multiple times suggests a design flaw to me....

Experienced the dreaded shudder in our 2017 X and scheduled a visit to the service center. After a confirmation drive with the tech left the X to determine the cause. Received a call a few hours later that the two front tires were replaced,under warranty, with new due to the "quiet foam" within the tire separating and throwing the fronts off balance. Apparently the tech was experienced and new exactly where to troubleshoot. Im impressed. Rides like a dream again. Just wanted to add another data point.

• Informative
Reactions: Tdreamer
While I certainly do appreciate that your SC replaced your tires because the foam was separating... the 'shudder' problem we're experiencing has nothing to do with a wheel being off-balance... regardless of cause. I have had many-a-wheel off balance in my many years on the road... this is definitely not that issue.

Also... this is not just 'a noise'... but a shudder (thus, the name of this thread) that is felt throughout the vehicle. It is only during (in my case) semi-hard acceleration, and not at speed.

Just wanted to be clear, in case those reading this thread have not truly experienced the 'shudder'.

If you watch this vid (
) at 1:42, you will hear (and SEE) what we're dealing with.

The shudder we experienced in the X was only above 50 mph without steering wheel shake and would consume the vehicle in a dramatic shuddering sensation. This became even more pronounced at even higher speeds. I too came across this thread in search for information and a fix. I do have a 2017 and was informed by the Tesla tech that the newer X's include revised improvements not realized in the earlier model. I feel your pain! Simply passing along my experience for others experiencing any shudder like symptoms..

While I certainly do appreciate that your SC replaced your tires because the foam was separating... the 'shudder' problem we're experiencing has nothing to do with a wheel being off-balance... regardless of cause. I have had many-a-wheel off balance in my many years on the road... this is definitely not that issue.

Also... this is not just 'a noise'... but a shudder (thus, the name of this thread) that is felt throughout the vehicle. It is only during (in my case) semi-hard acceleration, and not at speed.

Just wanted to be clear, in case those reading this thread have not truly experienced the 'shudder'.

If you watch this vid (
) at 1:42, you will hear (and SEE) what we're dealing with.

Yup, that's it exactly... that's what happens to my 2018 Model X as well. I didn't notice it right away. Only after a couple of months. I have been told that it is a "normal" characteristic of the vehicle, but that a permanent fix is in the works.

shudder we experienced in the X was only above 50 mph without steering wheel shake and would consume the vehicle in a dramatic shuddering sensation

The shudder under discussion here is during acceleration, not present when new or after new half-shafts, and worse at higher suspension settings. This over-50 and worsening vibration sounds like a bad tire.

While launch mode acceleration should only be done in Very Low on a flat street surface, as time goes on the acceleration shudder becomes evident during normal driving even at Low setting which denotes a wear problem. Once when I forgot to put the car down before accelerating on a curved highway on-ramp it felt like the front end was going to break apart. The acceleration shudder is even worse when turning. I have not heard of any hardware failures.