Welcome to Tesla Motors Club
Discuss Tesla's Model S, Model 3, Model X, Model Y, Cybertruck, Roadster and More.
Register

NHTSA asks Tesla to recall 158,000 [now 135,000] vehicles for eMMC failure. Voluntary Recall issued

This site may earn commission on affiliate links.
Then they risk NHTSA just making it an involuntary recall. The letter makes it clear that NHTSA has that option if Tesla doesn't either do the recall, or give them a really good reason why not.
They’re really good reason will be this.
Our customer spent $154k on their car that has mcu1 as such we are offering them a $1000 price slashing of the mcu2 as good faith.
I base this on my mcu1 crashing and twice have been offered the upgrade now at the new price.

Unless the tire warranty papers are telling the MCU to be as crappy as the tread life of my tires this go around I don’t know. The odd thing is that my car was just there for two days. Unless they assumed my clean car (on the inside) was just left that way for them.
You mean you didn't get 40K miles out of your tires ?

If I could have gotten 20K out of my first set that would have been nice...

I wonder if the solution might be a crippled MCU2 that will only provide the options that are default to the MCU1 - along with a pay to uncork the other MCU2 features.
I would be fine with that. Don't need the video and games. Would be totally tesla to charge for the web browser too, even though mcu1 is supposed to have one haha. But everyone wins with this solution. Elon keeps his piggy bank. Daughterboards arent needed, which are sketchy anyway

Last edited:
Wouldn't the cars with the upgraded computers and cars with FSD run into these kinds of problems a few years into the future.. With the FSD processing so much information every day for the next several years would another recall be possible say 5 years down the road

No. FSD is a seperate computer, but FSD does pull navigation info from MCU. MCU1 navigation is busted and slow. That is an issue for MCU1/FSD. Also MCU handles the visuals you see, so MCU1 owners will have to trust that their car sees everything, trash cans, cones, people etc. But other than that it should work fine.

U.S. asks Tesla to recall 158,000 vehicles for touchscreen failures

I just read about the 158,000 recall. I purchased a MS 2017 from Tesla’s website and I am taking delivery later this week. It seems to me that the model S I ordered is part of the recall. Should I take delivery? Is Tesla going to fix this? How can I tell if my model is has an upgraded mcu or not? TIA

Wow. I guess Tesla saw this coming and started offering the goodwill fix.

"NHTSA added that “during our review of the data, Tesla provided confirmation that all units will inevitably fail given the memory device’s finite storage capacity.”

They’re really good reason will be this.
Our customer spent $154k on their car that has mcu1 as such we are offering them a $1000 price slashing of the mcu2 as good faith.
I base this on my mcu1 crashing and twice have been offered the upgrade now at the new price.

NHTSA will never accept a solution that requires owners of cars to pay to continue to be safe. That's the whole point of the recall- the car as sold originally does not meet safety requirements, and the manufacturer must fix that defect. Manufacturers are required to fix recalls for free even on out of warranty and salvage title cars. The price you paid for the car and the cost of the fix is irrelevant.

Tesla will need to argue that this is not a safety defect, or that very few cars will experience this. Given Tesla has already said that 100% of cars will experience it, it seems they need to argue that when it fails it's not that big a deal so they can just wait for it to fail instead of proactively fixing it.

I truly think the best option is to upgrade all cars to mcu2 and software lock games and video and caraoke. Tesla wins bc it can still charge for those features, stop worrying about fsd/mcu1 and mcu1 software. No more service clog up for MCU1 performance. Owners get everything mcu1 had but stable
I agree with this. The only is that the MCU isn’t set up for them to lock you out if things like you said. I suppose they could write a program for it but it seems kind of dumb. I mean really how much use do these things even get. I have premium connectivity for the life of my car. I’d happily pay the $10/mo and give that up to know that I can get into my car and it’ll not shut down on me anymore.

Reactions: Droschke
You mean you didn't get 40K miles out of your tires ?

If I could have gotten 20K out of my first set that would have been nice...
I’m not even going to come close. I’m currently at 17,000 approx on this set (I have my snows on right now but come April 1st I know that I’ll probably only get a few more months before they’ll be done. I bought them Jan 2020 drove 17k until nov 1st when I put the snows on and they’re at almost 6/32.

I agree with this. The only is that the MCU isn’t set up for them to lock you out if things like you said. I suppose they could write a program for it but it seems kind of dumb. I mean really how much use do these things even get. I have premium connectivity for the life of my car. I’d happily pay the $10/mo and give that up to know that I can get into my car and it’ll not shut down on me anymore.

They easily could lock out certain items.

Reactions: Droschke
You’d think that. According to Tesla they can’t actually do that.

Really? It seems like so many things can be disabled remotely (supercharging, ludicrious mode, premium connectivity) that they couldn't just exclude the games and caraoke. If they could be added modularly, they should be able to remove them modularly (in a lot of cases).

I'd be happy with a feature crippled MCU2 as a replacement. I took a road trip this weekend and my MCU1 (replaced last year) crashed like 3 times and the downloading notice for 2020.48.12.1 has been stuck since late December even though it is already installed. I am considering paying for it, but will wait a bit longer to see how this recall plays out.